www.immersionrc.com

Thread: Video power low out of the box.

Forum Member

Video power low out of the box.

Took the vortex 180 out of the box and immediately hooked it up to my immersion RF power meter. With power set to max in the osd/configurator I'm measuring 30mW disarmed, this does not change if I arm the quad and wave it around. At lowest power it measures 10mW's..

I understand that it has some sort of "dynamic power control" where it's supposed to ramp up power in flight, but arming the quad and waving it around has no effect.

No, the quad has never been powered without a load on the vtx.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    youtube.com/user/ezikiel121212
    [URL="http://www.cofpv.com"][B][COLOR=#696969]CO[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]FPV[/COLOR][/B].com[/URL]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezikiel12 View Post
    Took the vortex 180 out of the box and immediately hooked it up to my immersion RF power meter. With power set to max in the osd/configurator I'm measuring 30mW disarmed, this does not change if I arm the quad and wave it around. At lowest power it measures 10mW's..

I understand that it has some sort of "dynamic power control" where it's supposed to ramp up power in flight, but arming the quad and waving it around has no effect.

No, the quad has never been powered without a load on the vtx.

Any ideas?

The dynamic power control is based on the throttle, not the accelerometer. If you raise the throttle or begin flying, the power will increase.

Forum Member
    I failed to mention I've tried running up the throttle as well.. no change in power. Ran the throttle up for a good 5-10 seconds.

Just found out I can sometimes get the power up manually by setting it in the osd, as soon as I back completely out of the osd or arm the quad it will drop back down. I can manually set the power up to 600mW and it will stay that way as long as I don't exit the OSD. Confident that the transmitter isn't faulty, seems to be a bug or I still haven't figured out how to get it to trigger a power increase.

This is with the latest firmware 1.0.0.52 and BF 3.2.2
    [URL="http://www.cofpv.com"][B][COLOR=#696969]CO[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]FPV[/COLOR][/B].com[/URL]

Forum Member
    Can I at least get a link to older firmware to see if it makes a difference?

Forum Member
    Hi you have to run it with props on. Only if it exeeds a certain number of amps it will ramp up.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmersionRC Support View Post
    Hi you have to run it with props on. Only if it exeeds a certain number of amps it will ramp up.
    Thanks for the reply! This makes sense, when I get a chance I'll test it and report back.

Forum Member
    Did you get it figured out? I'm kinda having the same issue with a vortex 250 after installing the tramp vortex module.. The only way I can get more power output than 24mw is by using the tramp configurator app from the Google play store.. With the app I can use the phones nfc ability to read the tramps nfc tag and then set it to any power level I want and save it.. Using the app is the only way I'm able to get its full power output.. The osd can change the channels and bands properly though, so it's just the power level output The vortex osd won't set.. On low I get 1mw and all the other settings I get 24mw... How about you?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark97564 View Post
    Did you get it figured out? I'm kinda having the same issue with a vortex 250 after installing the tramp vortex module.. The only way I can get more power output than 24mw is by using the tramp configurator app from the Google play store.. With the app I can use the phones nfc ability to read the tramps nfc tag and then set it to any power level I want and save it.. Using the app is the only way I'm able to get its full power output.. The osd can change the channels and bands properly though, so it's just the power level output The vortex osd won't set.. On low I get 1mw and all the other settings I get 24mw... How about you?
    SOLVED

Yup, sure did. I put props on and ran up the motors while holding it to the ground. After a few seconds pulling some amps it ramped up the transmitter to the proper power. It's clearly programmed to look for a current threshold before increasing transmit power.

Hope this helps!

Immersion support FTW, thanks guys!

Forum Member
    Yes, I finally got it resolved... I flashed the vortex firmware beginning with the very first version I have saved from downloading it back in 2015 and slowly installed newer versions until the newest version was installed and then it decided to work... But still the auto setting for the stock vtx doesn't work.. So if set on low it outputs 180mw and on high and auto 380mw no matter if the vortex is armed or disarmed.. So anyone using the stock vortex module may want to verify auto works so they don't burn their vtx up while playing with osd or flight controller settings....