www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding a GPS module/antenna to Mojo 230

Forum Member

adding a GPS module/antenna to Mojo 230

I can add the hardware to the open UART connector and it powers up and starts searching for satellites etc but I can't get the flight controller to keep the GPS active in Betaflight.
    I toggle it on, set the parameters etc. add GPS to the telemetry config and save but it doesn't stay.

I am trying to get GPS coordinates and any other data it can provide to my OSD so a recording of the FPV feed can be replayed to have a last known location if I go down in some rough terrain. Also the Taranis is supposed to be able to receive the GPS data and save the last known coordinates for you.

But this all depends on the FC in the Mojo allowing me to activate the component....

This is the GPS device and installation I'm tying replicate: https://diegofpv.com/how-to-add-gps-...etaflight-3-2/

If it is a restriction of the proprietary OSD can I at least get the GPS output sent to the Taranis as some kind of telemetry feed?
    Can it be done?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by EnchiladaJones; 20th March 2018 at 11:29 AM.

Forum Member
    It should work, I know it does on the vortex 250 and 285 with the fusion 2 flight controller.... Osd displays speed and heading though, not coordinates if I remember correctly, but the coordinates should stream back to a crossfire tx or possibly taranis if you use the correct frsky rx

Forum Member
    Did you ever get it working? I'm trying to do the same....so far with no luck. Thanks,

KevinB

Forum Member
    I never did get it to work. It’s the only bad thing I can say about the Mojo though.

Forum Member
    Thanks. The stupid thing is I have GPS telemetry coming back to my x10s.....just can't get it to the OSD. I'm guessing because it uses a separate controller for the OSD and FC, and they don't share the SmartPort data across to the OSD controller like they do with the power usage telemetry. Too bad. The fact that they took a step backwards in this regard from the Vortex 250/280 to the 230. I agree though....other than this point, the Mojo230 is an awesome flier.

KevinB

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Thanks. The stupid thing is I have GPS telemetry coming back to my x10s.....just can't get it to the OSD. I'm guessing because it uses a separate controller for the OSD and FC, and they don't share the SmartPort data across to the OSD controller like they do with the power usage telemetry. Too bad. The fact that they took a step backwards in this regard from the Vortex 250/280 to the 230. I agree though....other than this point, the Mojo230 is an awesome flier.

KevinB
    Are you still using the Vortex sanctioned Betaflight? 3.2.2 I think. I haven't tried anything newer because I'm afraid it might mess up the OSD stuff

Forum Member
    Yes. Still using 3.2.2. Because Immersion uses two separate F3 controllers....I'm not sure how you would interact with the second one since it doesn't have a USB port exposed to the user. I would guess trying to use a non-ImmersionRC firmware would seriously mess up your Mojo.
    I will likely build a 6" quad soon using a single F7 controller. Then with everything talking to the same board, it should be a lot easier to get whatever data you want to the Betaflight configured OSD.

KevinB

Forum Member
    Yea if it wasn’t a ribbon cable connection to the PDB I’d make a way to mount an F4 to it and have a great rig

Forum Member
    Taranis is able to store the gps coordinates on the sdcard every <<define>> seconds. It is as good as OP's plan using osd+dvr to know last known location in case of battery failure/unplugged.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenwout View Post
    Taranis is able to store the gps coordinates on the sdcard every <<define>> seconds. It is as good as OP's plan using osd+dvr to know last known location in case of battery failure/unplugged.
    How do you access the stored coordinates on the Taranis?