FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything like a fixed wing characteristics table / airframe chooser?

Navigator

Anything like a fixed wing characteristics table / airframe chooser?

/I've been trying to select a fixed wing design, and I've been troubled by the fact that fixed wing designs are often 1. incredibly equipment-dependent and 2. tend to be described in very subjective terms that mostly make sense if you have flown a number of other fixed wings.

Does anyone know of a resources that sorts fixed wing plane designs by various characteristics?

Navigator
    Not off the top of my head. What are you looking for in a plane?
    Impulse Alien, TBS Disco, Tek Sumo, S800, VAS Wraith, Skysurfer

Navigator
    Me personally? I'm a little uncertain, in part due to the subjectivity I've mentioned -- how fast is fast?

I'm looking at moving on from a 450 size quad that I used to fly at a reasonable clip around a field -- but I get the idea that "fast" for a fixed wing is a whole different matter.

I'm also looking for something made of EPP, that is a delta or flying wing, and that uses batteries no larger than 4S 5100 mAh.

I tried building a Mini Skyhunter, but made a total overly complicated hash of it, and realized I can't store it and it will be a pain to transport. And that it supposedly has a treacherous, rather high speed stall and doesn't like having the throttle low. And it's not EPP...

Considering:

- TBS Capi 2: Probably too heavy, needs overly large battery, very unclear what its flying characteristics are like. Allegedly fragile.

- Ritewing Mini Drak: Sounds very attractive, but costly and may be too fast. Though it at least flys at low thrust well.

- RMRC Recruit: Much smaller than the other options I'm considering. Likely too race-focused, and may be too light or low endurance. Might be too small to effectively install avionics.

- Various 38 to 48 inch wings: Most are long on manual spar channel cutting and short on documentation. But if somebody has a good suggestion...
    Last edited by ikrase; 20th March 2018 at 04:49 AM.

Navigator
    I have 3 of the 4 aircraft you have listed above. I fly the Recruit the most. It is super fun and easy to fly. It will fly for up to 20 minutes on an inexpensive 3s 2200 pack. It will do 60mph stock as well. It is NOT high speed racing wing, even if some have alluded otherwise. I like that it holds a gopro, so I can shoot 4k and then stabilize video in post. You kind of need to, as this wing loves to bounce its nose.
    My MD is set up heavy. It will do 120mph, or cruise for 30+ minutes. Needs a lot of room to fly. Yes, it is expensive, but flies like a dream. The airframe is very versatile and durable. I have flown it on 2x 3s 2200's and super light. I now fly it on 5s and 1500g. Super stable in the wind, but needs a lot of space to land.

Navigator
    OooOhhh thank you for the info.

, andHow durable would you say the Recruit is? Should one laminate it? Do you use to the stock stabilizer? I would be using an Eagle Tree Vector no matter what airframe I use.

Also, how much of a frustration is the bounciness when FPVing? Is the 20 minute figure (only barely better than I got in a quadcopter) based on aggressive flying or not? How wind tolerant?

How fast is a cruise in your Mini Drak? How much space to land or to fly are we talking about?

What's the 3rd of the aircraft you have?

Navigator
    Recruit is not as durable, but glues back together in a flash. I just put packing tape on the leading edge of the wing. Stock stab works to start out. You won't need it if you use a Vector, but a Vector is total overkill for this aircraft. Inav would be fine and is less expensive.
    Bouncing is annoying if you are trying to get pretty video. For just flying, it's a non issue for me. It flies in the wind, but gets knocked around.
    Cruise is 75. It lands at 40mph. Pretty big space.
    HC44. Ritewing race wing.

Navigator
    Ok, interesting. Are you saying it's less durable than the Mini Drak?

Yeah, I know, but I already have the Vector. Plus, I want that beautiful OSD.

Navigator
    The Mini Drak is molded out of a very dense EPP. It is nothing like the epp you get from china. Most durable foam I have ever seen. Mine has hit the desert floor doing 60mph. It broke the wing spars, and popped out a couple of the fuselage spars. No damage to the foam.

Fly,crash,glue,repeat! Jake Bullit's Avatar
    Reptile S800 or AR Wing would be good choices.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Navigator
    AR 900 wing. Easy to assemble and fly within a hour, easy launching, plenty of space for FPV gear in center section. Main neg is a little bouncy for video. This was my first wing that I did FPV on.
    Last edited by ridenwind; 23rd March 2018 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast