FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current favorite fixed wing pusher for FPV

Forum Member

Current favorite fixed wing pusher for FPV

Whats the new hot fixed wing FPV plat form?
    I saw the Talon. Looks OK but not really a 10/10 in my book.
    Are there any tried and true or hot new platforms people have been liking?
    Prefer not to run a wing.
    Looking for at least an hour of flight at 20-30 mph cruise.
    Dome front nose, pusher.
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Sounds like a typical RcLab1 maiden flight to me :D -ssassen

Whatever. This forum sucks. -SENTRY

Forum Member
    Dome noses
    As far as dome noses go. Talon sucks, Hobbyking Godiscover sucks. What happens is there (at least in stock form) doesn't seem to be any real way to deal with sun-glare. It's not a flight-ender but an annoyance. Some pilots modding their stuff to have black felt behind the camera or whatnot but never attaining that pristine look you would really want. Godiscover's belly lander dome gets scratched up almost immediately but Talon's dome tends to hang in there a fair bit better, the belly landings mostly landing on the nose wheel. If you land in grass with the Talon the grass stains bugger the dome. If you land in scrabble rocks the rocks zing up and ping the dome.
    If you are hard-set on dome nose personally I think PELCO to PWM and an actual security camera designed to be used in such circumstances is the ticket to avoiding sun glare but you may not want the added complexity + weight. I build my stuff just taking the penalty of having the camera out there flapping in the breeze. Wh/mi and top speed above 100mph or so being the numbers that get penalized.

Talons
    Talon is pretty robust. I wrote up my impression of it (compared to the other 20 or so FPV planes I have flown) here:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...pinion-of-them
    I personally like Talon more than mini-talon.
    -The Talon better because it cruises 50mph halfway efficient wh/mi whereas mini-t cruises 30mph and takes an exponentially larger efficiency penalty to fly much faster than that.
    -I like the Talon better than mini-t because a 1300 watt powerplant on a Talon isn't a very big penalty (weight wise) to endurance flight. Smaller aircraft being one big burst of speed then land after only a couple of minutes, but without changing your prop, esc, motor, you can fly for 1+ hour at 35mph easy, 50mph for 1 hour maybe, and 100mph for maybe 10 minutes on 6s 10ah. The Talon still somewhat floaty compared to the mini-talon which sinks like a brick with a powerplant made to propel it up to 100mph.

The Talon is worse than mini-T in several ways
    -The mini-t can get banged up and keep going. Mini-t is a pretty solid chunk of foam and the occasional close encounter with a tree branch or something not completely destroying the airframe, some Foam Tac all that's needed to put her back together in most cases. I have crashed two Talons now and both crashes have ended up with me out in the field finding individual bits of foam pieces in a 20 foot radius of the crash site.
    -mini T frisbees into the car nice and easy, just hurl it in the general direction of your vehicle and it just goes right in! None of those airplane gymnastics to get the airplane in and out of the trunk without damage.

New stuff
    As far as "new" airplanes go Banggood is selling a bunch of new twin motor planes (EVE, Wall-E, Believer ect...) The consensus still seeming to be that the My Twin Dream being the best twin motor plane of the lot despite it kinda flying derpy with the nose pointed slightly upward. I think the new lineup of airplanes from Strix look promising but ultimately I speculate the following

Goblin: It's a PNF with actually decent electronics! Looks fiddly to get CG right but seemingly amazing for both speed and endurance (1+ hour eeeehhh I dunno); looks like it would really lose it's mojo with a pan/tilt module and I love my pan/tilt.
    Stratosurfer: meh, glorified Bixler IMO, Volanex's new "Ranger V757-8" looks better IMO
    Alatus: looks like an awesome race wing that you can take risks in/potentially blow to bits without too much worry, but definitely not an endurace rig.

TL;DR
    Domes probably aren't going to help your wh/mi as much as you are thinking.
    Save maybe the Goblin the newer stuff on the market hasn't really shown any real promise over your old airplanes like the Skyhunter, Talon, MTD, Skywalker 1800 ect...
    Last edited by parajared; 20th February 2018 at 11:55 AM.

Forum Member
    parajared,

Great response thanks. I only look for a dome cause of ease for the camera to look through and protection. I would also like the option of implementing a GoPro on the aircraft when not going for total efficiency.

I owned a Techpod and did some pretty awesome long distance flights with that. Never really had to much of an issue with the glare. But the techpod is kid of big for what I am trying to do.

I plan on floating around 10 miles max
    1.3ghz
    dragon link

The 50 mph cruise is pretty nice though getting places quick is never a bad thing.

I have a right wing Z2 that I have all setup but that thing has done some pretty bad ass shit and I kinda want to retire it.

What do you think for non-domed pusher aircraft?
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Forum Member
    I plan on floating around 10 miles max

Goblin can knock out a 10 mile out-and-back from what I've read.

What's unique about the Goblin is that it's not a "wing" like your Zephyr, it's a plank and surprisingly aero-efficient. Daemon produced a video of him flying 100mph and only pulling 350 watts and some guy put a fatty motor in one and went 256mph in his. But I'm not necesarrily a huge fan of the Goblin....

What do you think for non-domed pusher aircraft

-I think the Goblin and most flying wings suffer from the nose being sensitive to bobbling all over the friggin place; Youtube some Goblin/Zephyr/Drak videos then watch a Talon/Skyhunter video or something for reference.
    -I think that fat fuselage/Piper Cub shaped planes are too draggy to get what you really want done whereas skinny fuselaged airplanes that just fly and fly after you let off the throttle are pretty boss.
    -I think that there's only so many ways to install a pusher motor, Techpod, Skyhunter, and Talon come to mind and I suspect Techpod/Bixler style to be the most draggy.
    -I think that bigger flies better, sub 1000mm wingspan planes of any variety having an affinity for being squirrley little bastards that lose all their fun factor (flown FPV) when it gets a bit windy.
    -I think that enough battery for at least a half hour of flight makes for the best kind of flying but I also believe that light wing-loading is a lot more fun to fly than cargo plane level wing-loading so another need for larger wingspan.
    -Airplanes laden with video gear tend to draw about 10 watts just sitting on the ground so the demand for a bit larger battery goes with another need larger wingspan.
    -I think foam better than fiberglass and balsa due to pricepoint and durablity
    -I think that foam airplane wingspans can only go to about 2.6 meters in span before the wings get a case of the flappers.

Therefore you need a large foam sailplane... oh wait, that's what I like, this ended up being a post about my personal preferances. Sorry, we were talking about what you should get; you have a Techpod, go get yourself a RMRC Skyhunter, maybe that new Stratosurfer. I had a Skyhunter, it was a good plane, highly recommend.

Forum Member
    Seems like we have the same taste.

My main goal when I was first flying was pure efficiency. This is still my flavor of the day. I don't like going up and watch my Amps just running off to crazy numbers. The techpod was a great performer I had a 3 hour plus flight using the techpod. I never went far tho I only got about 8 miles range.

I like the style of the Skyhunter seems a little big tho for trying to transport. It's a lot better than then the techpod in terms of wing span tho.

I don't really like the wobble of the wings like you. They're fun for zipping around but long rang and getting good video the wobble gets annoying.

I will look into the skyhunter.
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Forum Member
    If you are interested in twin tractor types, there is a guy doing some very serious testing on rcg*cough*. Although they we being tested for mapping, the tests are all about endurance.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Mapping-Planes
    "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"
    Kid Rock

Forum Member
    I like the style of the Skyhunter seems a little big tho for trying to transport. It's a lot better than then the techpod in terms of wing span tho.

You are right about that. Unless you have a big car to transport the Skyhunter you have to either unbolt the wings, this involves carrying a screwdriver out to the field and unscrewing four different bolts, or unbolting the tail. For me personally I chose the unbolt the tail method expediting this a bit by using "wing screws", screws you can grab onto with your fingers but I can empathize with the groan factor of set-up/tear down times.

Counterintuitively my humongous 4 meter glider (FlyFly Dg808s) was way easier to set up and transport, the wings simply unclipping at the center and the whole shebang sliding into the car long and skinny like a set of snow skis.

On the topic of transport I like the way the My Twin Dream transports. The motors/escs remain fixed to the fuselage and the wings from the motor outward come off. I like this better than the way most other twin motor planes do it where the detach point is fore the motors/escs, attempting to link together a whole motzah ball of wires including the 5v, neg, main power, main neg, all the esc wires, all the aileron wires down one big chunky connector. With MTD it's just the aileron wires that get connected/detached.
    Last edited by parajared; 21st February 2018 at 12:40 PM.

Forum Member
    As far as efficiency, I don't think the skyhunter would be the best choice. The big talon would be much better in that department but I think you mentioned you didn't like that one. Maybe something that work well with li ion batteries.

Forum Member
    I actually also have a DG808. It's still in the box but it's on the list of things to get flying. My plan is to convert it into a tractor with a motor in the front. I don't like the motor on the back.

I was looking at the mini talon last night and I am becoming more of a fan of the Talon/Mini. It seems to be quit the performer when on 4S.

I also have a bunch of those fancy Lion cells everyone has been turning into batteries. So something with a low amp draw would be great. That's why I want to go 6S.

Perhaps my choices are between the MTD and the Talon.

You convert your 808 into FPV? How the heck is that to fly? What's your flight times and over all feasibility of that?
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Forum Member
    I also have a bunch of those fancy Lion cells everyone has been turning into batteries. So something with a low amp draw would be great. That's why I want to go 6S.
    1)operating voltage: Your operating voltage has nothing to do with the wattage a given battery has potential to give. Configuring in series, configuring in parallel it doesn't change the output value
    You could use a 10ah 3s battery and you could use a 5ah 6s battery and you would have the exact same max wattage potential.
    2)15% rule: you won’t get the full ah rating out of your battery after you exceed about 15% of that max wattage number I mentioned. I stick 3s 10.4ah 10c batteries in my mini-talon because of this. Mathematically/technically this is a battery capable of 104amps discharge or 1154 watts. This is a good number for me because 1154 x 15% = 173 watts.
    That means if I start to exceed 173 watts of draw out my 10.4 ah battery I have more like a 9 ah battery. Most of those watts going into the forward momentum of the plane but wattage also going into making the battery warm.
    Lion is only like 2c dude, mini-t requires 70-100 watts, a 666 watthour Satan battery is too big or alternately a 50 watt mini-talon would kinda suck IMO.
    3) you can’t exceed more than about 140 grams or so on the tail of a mini-t. Most, if not all 6s motors within the right KV weigh more than that.

I actually also have a DG808. It's still in the box but it's on the list of things to get flying. My plan is to convert it into a tractor with a motor in the front. I don't like the motor on the back.
    I used stuff called “Instamorph” to shape a nose motor holder on mine. It worked ok.

You convert your 808 into FPV? How the heck is that to fly?
    It looked really awesome in the air, the guys at the field seemed to really get a kick out of watching that thing fly. Kinda flew like crap though to be honest, issues with tip stalls and the wings would turn into wacky waving flappy wings in air turbulence, also something of awe but for entirely different reasons. The real crime here that we didn't get any video of the "make the 808 flap like a bird" shenanigans that were going on.

I took my Eagle Tree Vector out of that Talon I crashed and put it in my DG808. I got everything up and working and had maybe 15-20 flights on her getting everything dialed in and feeling comfortable with it. My last flight my PSU from the crashed Talon flexed a little, broke contact turned off and turned back on mid-flight. During Eagle-tree’s boot up process I couldn’t control the aircraft and it spiraled in and turned into a massive smoldering (literally) pile of toothpicks. Fortunately I was able to stamp out the fire before it got out of hand. Post-mortem on the plane indicated that the PSU (likely damaged by my Talon crash) seemed to be the problem.
    What's your flight times and over all feasibility of that
    I never got to use it for endurance flight like I had hoped for. At 3750 grams AUW I was getting a sink rate of about 150fpm and motor off cruise speed of about 26mph which made it start to look promising. It thermalled like a dump truck though and flew right awful under motor power so not feasible for as a sailplane or a motor ship in my opinion. Made for a good “spectacle ship” though. It was fun to fly around for sure even if not necessarily an airplane that flew with performance.

Last edited by parajared; 21st February 2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: post the crash video

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast