Thread: TBS EZOSD damaged in crash, replacing GPS, do I need to reinstall firmware?

Forum Member

TBS EZOSD damaged in crash, replacing GPS, do I need to reinstall firmware?

Hi everyone. Been a long time since I've been on FPV Lab!

I'm rebuilding an old TBS Z2 that I crashed a couple years back. A tree branch pierced the heat wrap on my TBS EZOSD and ripped the yellow wire and trace off the GPS module. I bought a new GPS module from Pololu and I'm going to solder it back together together.

My question is: Is the firmware (in this case TBS firmware) stored locally on the GPS module? or is it stored on the main OSD board? I'm wondering if I need to reinstall the firmware or not. I hope I don't have to because I don't think the TBS firmware is available for download anywhere. It's going to be a few weeks before I can test everything otherwise I would just power it up and find out for myself.

Thanks for the help!

Forum Member
    Firmware is on module. GPS will need to be setup for the EZOSD. http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ys-LS20031-GPS

Forum Member
    Damn, that sucks! I was hoping to just solder on a new GPS module and be off to the races. Any idea where I can download the firmware? It’s a TBS EZOSD and I don’t think that firmware is available for download anywhere. I can’t even find the regular ImmersionRC firmware available for download! Any thoughts?

Forum Member
    http://team-blacksheep.freshdesk.com...5168-tbs-ezosd This is the link to TBS with their firmware for the EZOSD. To set up the GPS you will need the adapter that's listed in the first thread I posted. It's not too hard, I've done it before. The adapter is also available from Pololu and cost around $15. https://www.pololu.com/product/391 Hook it up and program the correct lines in MINI GPS and that's it. All you do is check boxes for the data that the GPS needs to send and update the refresh rate to get it to 5 or 10hz.

EDIT TO ABOVE. Firmware is on main board is what I meant to say!!!

And you can always put regular EZOSD back on it if you like.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
    http://team-blacksheep.freshdesk.com...5168-tbs-ezosd This is the link to TBS with their firmware for the EZOSD. To set up the GPS you will need the adapter that's listed in the first thread I posted. It's not too hard, I've done it before. The adapter is also available from Pololu and cost around $15. https://www.pololu.com/product/391 Hook it up and program the correct lines in MINI GPS and that's it. All you do is check boxes for the data that the GPS needs to send and update the refresh rate to get it to 5 or 10hz.

EDIT TO ABOVE. Firmware is on main board is what I meant to say!!!

And you can always put regular EZOSD back on it if you like.
    I can’t believe you knew where to download the software, I looked (almost) everywhere and couldn’t find it for the life of me!

I assume MINI GPS is some software for altering the settings of the actual GPS module? I also assume I’ll have to temporarily solder wires from the GPS pads to the USB adapter?

Even though the firmware is stored on the main board, I should still use the adapter to change the refresh rate and verify the other settings are correct? I think I have one of those USB to SERIAL adapters kicking around somewhere.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just want to be crystal clear with your instructions so I don’t burn up the new GPS module. Oh and you mentioned I could just put regular EZOSD firmware back on the main board?, ImmersionRC no longer makes the EZOSD and doesn’t have any downloadable firmware under the “Team Blacksheep EZOSD” webpage. You can only download Immersion Tools, and User Manuals

Forum Member
    Actually scratch that, I did find the immersion firmware. Definitely not intuitive to locate though.

http://www.immersionrc.com/product-d...reen%20Display

Forum Member
    AH HA! I did find an FTDI adapter with a jumper that I can set to 3.3V, that I can use to program the GPS module. I also went right to the Pololu page and found the Mini GPS application. Time to give this a whirl!

Forum Member
    Kalikraven - Can you confirm these setting are correct? I read that entire thread you sent and Sander never confirmed that the settings were correct.

GLL [0] RMC [1] VTG [0]
    GSA [5] GSV [0] GGA [1]
    ZDA [0] MCHDN [0]

Fix update rate [1] (is this the update rate?)
    Baudrate [38400]
    RTCM baudrate [9600]
    DGPS [Disable]

Lastly, someone shared a response from Sparkfun that said "This GPS module is not reliable when set to 10hz, leave at the default 5hz". Do you happen to know if that is fact or not?

Forum Member
    Those are the ones that you want to use. I think thats correct I just went thru the whole thread and Sander didnt confirm or deny the settings. I left mine at Five.
    Last edited by kalikraven; 14th February 2018 at 01:37 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
    Those are the ones that you want to use. I think thats correct I just went thru the whole thread and Sander didnt confirm or deny the settings. I left mine at Five.
    Thanks for all the help!

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, being that it's valentines day. If I try spending time playing with RC stuff tonight, I may be single next valentines day!