Thread: Help for a friend with limited mobility

Help for a friend with limited mobility

Hi All,

I have a friend with a medical condition that has resulted in severely limited mobility. I have this idea to setup something to allow her to wander the world through an FPV drone, but I'm a total noob, and after reading through the forums here and other resources online, I have more questions than answers. I'm afraid I don't even have meaningfully specific questions yet...

My idea is to setup something that she can control from indoors, but can fly around outside. If that breaks some FAA rules or just a terrible idea let me know and I'll give up on the idea...

There's a room dedicated to a HTC Vive VR rig (which is great BTW), and this would be the ideal spot for controlling a drone. If the FPV feed could come through the Vive, all the better, but it's not the end of the world if that wouldn't work well.

Having a stabile, easily controlled drone is important as neither of us has much experience beyond some simple cell phone controlled toys. Also, the live video quality would be really important too. I looked at a few RTF kits, but they seem to focus on racing, and that's not what we're looking for (at least not initially anyway).

Anyway, sorry for sounding so lost, and I really appreciate any ideas!

I'm not sure if it matters, but it's way out in the sticks. The nearest neighbor is approx. 1/2 mile away. Also, no problem to mount an antennae or something on the roof.

-Jon

You are probably looking for an "AP drone". I'm not an AP drone pilot so I'm not sure what's on the market that's good or bad right now.

You would most likely end up crawling up onto her roof and erecting a mast with a couple of omnidirectional antennas on it. You would want the transmitter and receiver in a waterproof box right close to the antennas instead of long lengths of coaxial cable. Ham radios work ok with long coaxial cables but for some reason our FPV toys take a pretty big performance hit.

You would run a long length of video cable and a long length of PPM (or SBUS) wire. I personally use a regular rc airplane radio but the "base station" guys somehow output PPM off their computers to their transmitters and use regular computer joysticks.

Should you want to use a regular rc airplane radio the PPM port is usually right there on the back either through the "trainer port" or the "JR module"