www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZUHF JR module causing spurious warnings on Taranis

Forum Member

EZUHF JR module causing spurious warnings on Taranis

Just picked up a JR module on sale, fitted to a 07/15 vintage Taranis+ and have found it causes random haptic and screen backlight flashing on all power levels, even range check. Occurs on two separate models and comes good with the module removed. I'm presuming this is a warning? Only warnings configured are low bat, inactivity and memory, none of which are being breached.

Scanned the web and can find no similar occurences
    Any one else experienced this and if so any clues on a fix?

TIA
    Last edited by Shaftbender; 24th December 2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Date error corrected

Forum Member
    I seem to remember something similar with tunigy 9x/r tx's and an couple different LRS's.... but a quick search turned up quite a few threads about the taranis and ezuhf, here's one ---> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....mp-TARANIS-X9D

Forum Member
    Thanks RonSII
    Found and read a few threads like that regarding audio buzzing, rolling menu's which seemed to relate to early Taranis's. My issue is different and I couldn't find any reports of similar

Forum Member
    Hi your radio is picking up the interference from the power output of the module. I bet it only does it with the module on high power setting. You should try and shield the inside of your radio with some copper tape. Same as they shield guitars.

Forum Member
    Hi shaftbender, just reread your post.... I thought I readbutton presses as well last night... ooops

I wonder what small changes taranis made on the latest revision of the pcb that handles the transistors for switching the backlight and motor??? they may have eliminated a cap or shunt resistor in front of the first stage transistor in that switch circuit so now even the slightest picovolt on the input is getting sensed as a high from the mcu... or something like that. although the range test power levels should be way under anything that could trigger a hardware fault like that??? strange..... do you have another radio you could put the ez module into and place it very close to the affected one to see if it still shows the issue without the module inside it?

Forum Member
    @ IMRC support
    Thanks, as noted in OP it does it on range check too. Will try RonSII's suggestion
    Last edited by Shaftbender; 24th December 2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Clarify recipient

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSII View Post
    Hi shaftbender, just reread your post.... I thought I readbutton presses as well last night... ooops

I wonder what small changes taranis made on the latest revision of the pcb that handles the transistors for switching the backlight and motor??? they may have eliminated a cap or shunt resistor in front of the first stage transistor in that switch circuit so now even the slightest picovolt on the input is getting sensed as a high from the mcu... or something like that. although the range test power levels should be way under anything that could trigger a hardware fault like that??? strange..... do you have another radio you could put the ez module into and place it very close to the affected one to see if it still shows the issue without the module inside it?
    Just corrected DOM of Taranis in OP, it's not as new as originally stated
    Good suggestion, I have a pensioned off 9XR that I can try. I guess I can use that radio if it works ok, I used to use it with my V1 EZUHF mounted on the back without any problems.
    ATM I use the original EZUHF remotely driven by a D-4R II, I was hoping to use the internal module as a quick use rig with a HK Skyray AKA RMRC Mako wing I have built for low level fun and games.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Forum Member
    I was mainly trying to see if it would still affect your taranis with the module operating in the 9xr sitting very close to the taranis radio... that would indicate a power problem or maybe a rf/rmi issue through the internal plug and wiring.

Forum Member
    Yep, got that, sorry for the off topic dribble
    Did as you you suggested and not a sign of an issue in the Taranis. No issues with the 9XR either.
    Easy fix is to use the 9XR, I don't need all the 3 way switches for the simple wings I wanted to use the module for.
    Thanks very much for your assitance

Forum Member
    Wish I knew someone close by with a taranis... All I have are futaba's and 9x's... well I do have an old orbit or two but mostly use the 9xr's. Maybe I'll run across a used taranis one of these days and see what gives...