Thread: Coax or shielded video cable, which should be extended?

Navigator

Coax or shielded video cable, which should be extended?

Getting parts together to build a 1.3GHz ground station with VAS pepperbox and Eagle Eyes. Can't really mount them together very easily, so want to use an extension cable...just not sure which is method is better. Should I make a coax extension out of RG316 between antenna and receiver, or use a shielded video cable between receiver and Eagle Eyes?

Thanks,
    Mark

Navigator
    I would advise keeping the antenna to receiver coax shorter and extending the video line. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish I'd suggest a 5.8GHz retrans or mounting the Eagle Eyes to the back of the Pepperbox. The 1.3 Pepperbox is pretty large and there is a lot of real estate on the back for mounting hardware.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18192579_10212147208622930_59653614127189636_o.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	77873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18193101_10212147208862936_8916123190683667318_o.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	77874

Extend video line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigator
    Cool, thanks, was pretty sure vid over coax. Eagle Eyes is already set up in a modular frame for multiple frequency diversity, so adding it to the back of the pepperbox not really an option. Will have to run the big antenna on a separate tripod next to the rest of the ground station.

Pilot
    If you have to extend the antenna lead use 50 ohm (for our typical FPV transmitters). If you extend video lead use 75 ohm. Use best quality cable (thick and lots of shielding) to minimize losses.

It's not the end of the world if you extend the antenna lead, but you will lose some power from a transmitter or some effective gain off the receiver. If you have more than what you need you can get away with it. But the video side tolerates a lot more length without noticeable losses within reason.

Another thing to think about... and your mileage may vary

I have had 1.2 rx's actually work a bit better with a few feet of coax between them and the antenna... probably more a function of the antenna than anything else though.

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSII View Post
    Another thing to think about... and your mileage may vary

I have had 1.2 rx's actually work a bit better with a few feet of coax between them and the antenna... probably more a function of the antenna than anything else though.
    Yeah maybe the tx was putting out it's own interference and you moved the antenna far enough away that it improved net net.

Navigator
    Good tip, don't think I've ever checked a receiver for interference...will definitely put the RF Explorer to work when I get this all set up.

Navigator
    Couldn't quite understand the answers, but everyone was recommending shielded, right? It's not real likely, but you could be close enough to par lines, and have a small loop in a wire, mag or elec field gets into that loop, mag especially, it's likely to induce some sort of current pollution.