Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.8 repeater set up ?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Pond View Post
    Thanks FPNZed

Not running a separate BEC. Do have ferrite rings and will try that on the VTX cable. Also have spare LC filter to use. Did order High pass filter from RMRC to use on VTX receiver. No expert here either by any means. Trying to see what others are using and what works for them.

I did have my 5.8 repeater located close to my 1.3 VTX receiver at first on my groundstation. Separated the 2 when found there was video trouble. Did improve performance some.
    What is the wattage on your 5.8 repeater? My brother was using either 0.5 or 1mw for his. I know it was less than 25mw. I'll have to get home and check because he gave me the same VTx to try on my pepperbox.

Quote Originally Posted by FPVZed View Post
    What is the wattage on your 5.8 repeater? My brother was using either 0.5 or 1mw for his. I know it was less than 25mw. I'll have to get home and check because he gave me the same VTx to try on my pepperbox.
    It's a Fatshark 5.8 repeater, I believe it is 25 mw ? Did get the high pass filter in today and had a chance to get in several flights with it installed, along with the ferrite ring on the VTX cable. Could still see horizontal lines with motor rpm increases (not as bad though ?). Did get video and will post when uploaded. Thinking ferrite ring on camera cable as well to reduce interference ?.

Made last flight while sitting in van. Is there any TX or VTX loss associated while flying like this ? Using Dragon Link UHF.

Navigator
    It's a Fatshark 5.8 repeater, I believe it is 25 mw ? Did get the high pass filter in today and had a chance to get in several flights with it installed, along with the ferrite ring on the VTX cable. Could still see horizontal lines with motor rpm increases (not as bad though ?). Did get video and will post when uploaded. Thinking ferrite ring on camera cable as well to reduce interference ?.

Made last flight while sitting in van. Is there any TX or VTX loss associated while flying like this ? Using Dragon Link UHF.
    How many wraps in the ferrite ring. Supposed to be around 4 that I read. Wait... now that I think about it... my brother said he put the ring on the 5.8VTx also. Still at work now but I'll call him when I get off and hopefully remember to reply when I get home.

Did get 4 on the VTX cable. Will put on the 5.8 TX Repeater cable as well. Can't hurt

Video of todays' flight

Last edited by Cary Pond; 30th November 2017 at 11:42 PM.

Navigator
    Did get 4 on the VTX cable. Will put on the 5.8 TX Repeater cable as well. Can't hurt

Video of todays' flight

Ok, sorry for the long wait. My brother said he used a ferrite ring on the power cable and a choke on the video cable if that helps.

Added ferrite rings to: ESC - VTX cable and Camera cable, added twisted servo leads to VTX and camera, High pass filter to VTX receiver , LC filter on camera,

Noticed biggest improvement of all was when I moved My Position to the other side of the ground station to where my repeater antennae was located instead of on the opposite side. Was able to fly out 2.1 mile with perfect video (at that time anyway). Chickened out and headed home at that point.

Could the reception have been affected that much by being on the opposite side of the GS to where the antennae was located ? Don't know, but I'm not looking a "gift horse in the mouth'" on this one and will try this again today as that was my last battery yesterday when I moved positions. Will know more with further experimentation Did not video record, so cannot show. Lesson learned on this one.........
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 2nd December 2017 at 09:17 AM.

Try moving further away from your station when your pic starts to degrade. I always have rssi setup on my vector's osd as well.

Navigator
    Added ferrite rings to: ESC - VTX cable and Camera cable, added twisted servo leads to VTX and camera, High pass filter to VTX receiver , LC filter on camera,

Noticed biggest improvement of all was when I moved My Position to the other side of the ground station to where my repeater antennae was located instead of on the opposite side. Was able to fly out 2.1 mile with perfect video (at that time anyway). Chickened out and headed home at that point.

Could the reception have been affected that much by being on the opposite side of the GS to where the antennae was located ? Don't know, but I'm not looking a "gift horse in the mouth'" on this one and will try this again today as that was my last battery yesterday when I moved positions. Will know more with further experimentation Did not video record, so cannot show. Lesson learned on this one.........
    Different spots around the antenna gives interference issues here to... but that being said I was probably 50 yards from the antenna as I was parked in a chair out on the edge of the runway and the antenna was back just beyond the pits right outside the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
    Try moving further away from your station when your pic starts to degrade. I always have rssi setup on my vector's osd as well.
    Yes I agree. If you look closely in my vid I posted I have RSSI and link quality set up to the top left on the OSD.
    Good info to have when going long range. I understand you have the vector backing you up but you can sometimes just climb or turn slightly and see a difference.

What do I need to do to get RSSI set up on my Taranis ? One thing I really need to do to tell link quality if I want to fly longer range.

Here's a flight I made today. Video clarity is much improved over previous days. 2.3 mile today. Video is clear, not sure what link quality is until I can get RSSI established.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewtk...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 2nd December 2017 at 11:02 PM.

The link quality and rssi is set up on a channel between your dragon link and your vector setup. Once setup you turn off your transmitter and make sure it goes from 100% to 0 on the osd setup.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast