FPVLAB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need some tips cuttin carbon fibre tubes

oh I feel silly rite now, I never even thought of the lathe!!!
    flyin HIGH

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    oh I feel silly rite now, I never even thought of the lathe!!!
    If you have a lathe then do a test first as it still might split layers on the inside depending on cutting bit you have on your lathe.
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

I have a lathe at the farm shop. I was looking at my cutting bits today. I was gonna try one test cut 2morrow. thinking I should maybe tape the tube with tape length ways so the jaws don't mark the tube, then give it a whirl see how it works. was even contemplating if the bit is too rough, maybe try spinning it in the lathe while holding a fine tooth hacksaw blade in the bit stock and using water to lube and keep the dust down
    flyin HIGH

Here ya go doobie, I like to keep thing simple so here is one way I cut them in the past... works pretty good and is great for bulk cutting

Usually I'll use a bit of coolant/lube,etc... but you can dry cut this way also, using name brand blades helps if you're doing lots of cuts but import work also and if you want to they heat treat ok

I tend to run it slow but high speed would work also especially if you're in a hurry... it's virtually dust free anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cf_cut_02.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	77699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cf_cut_01.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	77700

Now... you do get a tiny bit of mushrooming... you should appreciate that

and a few inside strands will part about a third of a cm. up from the cut but not bad... I am not sure how bad it is when the CF tube is not very concentric because I only was the best heh heh Not really but most of the stuff I have cut was pretty decent for wall thickness and concentricity.
    Last edited by RonSII; 4th November 2017 at 08:10 PM.

Navigator
    A saw will work just make sure its a fine tooth saw or zona saw. A dremel cutting wheel will work also. Watch out for the dust from the cf bad stuff!! Use the tape as a guide for a clean cut. A table saw will work to.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ya ronsii that's perfect. just what I had in mind kinda I will do some test cuts 2morrow trying different speeds. ill use some cutting oil too. these are 20mm tubes that are very thin walled. 0.5mm and see through. ultra light tubes. they're 24" in length I need to cut down to 15" so I have lots to test cut with eh. and yeah.... I do appreciate a good mushrooming!!! LMAO jyester, a table saw and me are just a baaaad idea!!!!
    flyin HIGH

If your lathe has 4jaws like this one all I did was take a matched set of 3"x1.5"x3" aluminum blocks and clamp them in so they form a 3X3x3 cube and bore a slightly under size hole in them then voila perfect CF tube mount

The first time I did it I bored it to 12mm to match the tube in the pic but I found it was just the tiniest bit to big so put a single layer of clear packing tape around the tube and it seemed to hold well then.

4jaw

I was going to take a pic of the blocks but couldn't find em... haven't used it for a few months so who knows where they be... probably couldn't remember what they were for and scrapped em'....

I cut one today ron and it came out not too bad at all. my lathe has 3 jaws in the chuck so I ran a pc of 2' masking tape down the length of the tube and clamped it in gently not tight. sped the lathe at medium speed away from me with a fine tooth hacksaw blade (broke in half) clamped in the bit stock with the teeth facing me. few squirts of cutting oil and with slight pressure on the wheel I turned and turned my way to a beautiful cut. went really slow on the wheel and used lots of cutting oil. left the tube in the chuck, spun it again at a slow speed, and deburred the end with a fine grade emery cloth. looks like a factory cut!!! I only had time to do one today, the boss came in half way through and decided to reoccupy my time on something else!!! but ya im really impressed I took some pics, but I cant seem to be able to add them. maybe sentry has me on a leash afraid of what kind of pics I may post??? LMFAO thanx for all the suggestions from everyone. the lathe is the way to go for this job!!! not the table saw LOL
    flyin HIGH

That's great ��

Yeah, sentry probably heard some of those sick rumors floating around about you and the two dozen cheerleaders...

Is that the one where the mascot was involved too? Nasty stuff. Anyhow, nice idea on the lathe. I need to cut some arms for my cinetank, going to try the lathe. Any tips for drilling the locating hole?
    "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"
    Kid Rock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast