FPVLAB

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ZOHD Nano Talon 860mm - full review / build log / mods

Navigator
    This will arrive tomorrow.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMIKE0A
    I feel better about providing the camera and Vtx with more than 5v. However the reciever won't take more than 9. So this should power up as needed. For $10 it's a good gamble.
    Last edited by widnerkj; 10th May 2018 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomstoy View Post
    Double check the control arm connectors on all the servo arms. I found 2 loose, both caused me crashes. Best off coming up with a better solution than relying on those while you wait.

Last wreck broke the main spar in one wing. Those are permanently glued in. Can't help but wonder why they decided on a square cf spar instead of a tube,,,
    Actually, at least in my experience, the squares are much stiffer!

Quote Originally Posted by widnerkj View Post
    This will arrive tomorrow.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMIKE0A
    I feel better about providing the camera and Vtx with more than 5v. However the reciever won't take more than 9. So this should power up as needed. For $10 it's a good gamble.
    Isn't this just a filter?

Navigator
    No, it's a TX power supply from the lipo balance lead. So my camera and vtx get power without a pdb or a better esc.

.............Edit...........

Thinking about this, I've gone about this little plane all wrong. I think it'd be best if I yank out the electronics, and install a eagletree microvector. I believe this would simplify everything, and be a cleaner result.
    Last edited by widnerkj; 11th May 2018 at 03:51 PM.

No, it's a TX power supply from the lipo balance lead. So my camera and vtx get power without a pdb or a better esc.

.............Edit...........

Thinking about this, I've gone about this little plane all wrong. I think it'd be best if I yank out the electronics, and install a eagletree microvector. I believe this would simplify everything, and be a cleaner result.
    Absolutely!

Navigator
    So an update. That power supply gives full battery voltage. so 12.4V from my 3 cell pack. That's not going to work for what I have. So I'll just buy that microvector after this next work trip.

Navigator
    Ok, so after some time with this plane my opinion is,,, save your money. It’s way too fragile for any practical fpv use.

So an update. That power supply gives full battery voltage. so 12.4V from my 3 cell pack. That's not going to work for what I have. So I'll just buy that microvector after this next work trip.
    Sounds like a good idea, should work well!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomstoy View Post
    Ok, so after some time with this plane my opinion is,,, save your money. It’s way too fragile for any practical fpv use.
    What happened?

Navigator
    Landings happened. Last time, she skidded off the geotex, hit the wheat stocks and broke the plastic wing strut block in the fuselage. The one the wing struts plug into. Didn’t even hit the wheat at any significant speed. Pretty gentile, really.

Another time, upon landing, fuselage touches down on the runway, does a hop, a wind gust pushes a wing down. The wing tip drags and spins the airplane to a halt. As I walk up I see one wing slightly pulled off, the spar had broke right at the wing root.

No, I’m sorry, it’s just too fragile to survive any significant real fpv application.
    if it can’t handle a wing tip drag on a geotex runway she will never handle landing on the un-preps mountain ground.

no, there are a lot better airframes, ( like the Reptile Harrier, brilliant), that won’t break when she stops.

i put her in the catagory of a novelty airframe.

Actually sometimes planes do break from seemingly light accidents, but indeed the Nano Talon does have a few weak spots, and you seem to have chanced upon all of them! As for the Reptile... it is a flying wing I think... and they have always been tougher than other type planes... so the comparison really isn't fair!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast