FPVLAB

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: ZOHD Nano Talon 860mm - full review / build log / mods

Forum Member
    You’re right, comparing ruggedness is not fair with a wing. However, my point being, the Reptile has been way over designed for ruggedness,,, and at almost half the cost.
    The engineer of the Talon did a good job making it light, but that is its achellies heel.
    Just a few added grams of reinforcement would have made a big difference.

you all know how it goes, build one, fly it, if it don’t work, move on to the next, find one that turns into your favorite. For me, she gets the trash bin.

Forum Member
    You are correct! I hope they address some of these issues with a possible future Version 2!

Forum Member
    Hi,
    i have the NT with the original equipment. I added a matek pdb with a matek stabilizer and INAV. I will replace the aileron servo because I feel that is not going back to the center well.
    What I keep original is the ESC but I don’t know how to configúrate the motor brake. Does anyone how to?
    Thanks

Forum Member
    Finally I replaced the aileron servo today. I put a normal MG towerpro which is nos digital but quite fast also. I noticed that still the ailerons were not returning to the center position always. Then loose a little bit the quick link lock nuts and made the servo arms holes a bit bigger so the whole system was smoother. Now ailerons are always returning to the central position perfectly. I have now the doubt if the original servo was ok and the problem was also a too tight servo links....but I will not go back again.
    Still trying to know how to configure the motor brake.
    in the meantime I will install the new inav 2.0 and test.

Forum Member
    Many replaced the aileron servo due to it acting strange, and some crashed because they didn't, so that's a good call. Nobody seems to know how to set the ESC brake, most just replace the stocker with something that has a better 5V supply. 1A really isn't enough for a flight controller & two servos under constant load with a stabilizer. I went with a 12A YEP ESC, that way I could program off the low voltage cutoff (using a program card) and fly with Li-Ion packs.

Forum Member
    Thank you for the answer. FYI, I'm not using the ESC BEC; all the power is coming tanks to Matek FCHUB-W what's giving the necessary amps to safely power all servos (5A) and also vtx, camera...etc. http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=fchub-w. the PDB is conneced to flight controller MATEK F-405-STD so I'm quite comfortable with this.
    I will then try to purchase a new ESC so I can configurate the motor brake. I have noticed that with the stock ESC when the motor is dead the propeller turns quite a lot so i loose so much speed that even for landings i have to add a little bit of power till almost the ground.
    I'm also preparing a 4S1P Li-Ion pack but in any case with the actual 1800mah 3S lipos, power and flying time are more then enough for my flying style!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nt.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	78633
    Last edited by Rantanplan; 9th July 2018 at 07:01 AM.

Forum Member
    There is no way to program the stock ESC for braking... and I don't think any other copter ESC will have that plane style brake that is required here, so you will have to go with a plane one, if you want that functionality! Problem with plane ESCs is that they have low voltage cut off, which often cannot be turned off, and also they are quite a lot bigger and heavier than the racing copter ESCs we've grown accustomed to for these builds!

Forum Member
    Actually, nearly all quadcopter ESCs can be programmed to both have the brake on as well as LVC off using the BLHeli Suite. It takes some effort to learn, and not all ESCs are compatible. Some can be programmed through the servo connection, others require soldering to tiny pads on the ESC directly. The downside is quad ESCs don't have a 5V supply, and many aren't set up to shed heat like airplane versions. Since the Nano Talon has poor airflow, I went with the YEP instead.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
    Actually, nearly all quadcopter ESCs can be programmed to both have the brake on as well as LVC off using the BLHeli Suite. It takes some effort to learn, and not all ESCs are compatible. Some can be programmed through the servo connection, others require soldering to tiny pads on the ESC directly. The downside is quad ESCs don't have a 5V supply, and many aren't set up to shed heat like airplane versions. Since the Nano Talon has poor airflow, I went with the YEP instead.
    True, they have some sort of braking function, but that is not meant for planes. I think copter braking is meant to occur for very short periods of time for RPM correction, and not really meant to stop a prop and hold it stopped for prolonged periods of time... so really not sure how this is going to work! Some plane ESCs do get quite hot when brake is enabled... not sure if this one would have the ability to dissipate the heat!

Forum Member
    Braking is braking no matter the aircraft, it is accomplished by applying reverse thrust (current) to the motor equal to the velocity of the aircraft in order to either hold the prop stationary, or at least slow it down, depending on the braking effort configured in the BLHeli setup. There is also a brake version called regenerative braking that puts a tiny amount of power back into the battery by using the motor as a generator when throottle is off and prop is freewheeling in the wind. One of the easiest ways to get the benefits of a fully configured ESC is to use a Cobra Wing ESC with their USB adapter, it's almost plug-n-play. They are good high voltage ESCs with a nice 5v supply, but kind of expensive.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast