FPVLAB

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: ZOHD Nano Talon 860mm - full review / build log / mods

Quote Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
    Braking is braking no matter the aircraft, it is accomplished by applying reverse thrust (current) to the motor equal to the velocity of the aircraft in order to either hold the prop stationary, or at least slow it down, depending on the braking effort configured in the BLHeli setup. There is also a brake version called regenerative braking that puts a tiny amount of power back into the battery by using the motor as a generator when throottle is off and prop is freewheeling in the wind. One of the easiest ways to get the benefits of a fully configured ESC is to use a Cobra Wing ESC with their USB adapter, it's almost plug-n-play. They are good high voltage ESCs with a nice 5v supply, but kind of expensive.
    Not sure about the Nano Talon, but on my larger aircraft I have long since put away the idea that I want to be budgeting the builds... reliability is key there... soooooooo... kind of expensive is pretty OK when you consider how much money you have flying at least some 20-30kms away from you!

Navigator
    Oh, I'm with you on the reliable components! Plus, I like the ability to tune the setup for efficiency to match my style of flying & planned use. The NT motor & prop are hard to beat, but the rest of the elctronics that come with it are suspect.

Oh, I'm with you on the reliable components! Plus, I like the ability to tune the setup for efficiency to match my style of flying & planned use. The NT motor & prop are hard to beat, but the rest of the elctronics that come with it are suspect.
    Exactly, hence why I replaced the ESC on mine... and am planning to do the same for the servos... unless I decide to focus my efforts on something with better flying characteristics, at least until ZOHD come out with an NT2!

UPDATE 7 - RadioLink Mini Pix install and maiden

So, after a long delay I finally mustered up the courage and motivation to get this install underway. Main reason for the lack of motivation can be seen in the image below... on the left is what had to go in the Nano Talon, and on the right is what had to be removed from it. You can clearly see the difference in the number of modules, and I haven't even added the OSD module that is to be added to the system on the left! The wiring increase alone is pretty significant!

My idea was to use reuse as many items as possible, so I made sure to de-solder anything I can use on the new installation from the Omnibus F3 Pro stack.

Good news is the power harness for the servos is directly compatible with the Mini Pix, since RadioLink have made the choice to put standard servo pins for those outputs.

Next, I sorted out the receiver, which only needed a change of cable to make the connector compatible with the Mini Pix.

Following I turned my attention to the power module. Since I read somewhere that people have had issues with the stock power module that comes with the Mini Pix set, and because it was too big, I decided to use a different one. A while back I stripped down a sensor module, without the BEC part, in preparation to be mounted on my XK A1200, but never go around to installing it, so I thought it would be a good fit here.

Wiring was quick and easy, and the flight controller will actually be powered from the Matek PDB's 5v output.

It is not a direct plug-n-play solution, but it does have some benefits! The Matek 5v and 12v outputs are filtered very well, which meant that since I am now powering the FC from a filtered source, unlike what I would have gotten from the power module, I could now power the OSD module directly from the Mini Pix, rather than create a separate power line for it, and it will not suffer from any interference from the ESC for instance!

And speaking of the OSD... it was time to tackle that as well! Unit of choice is a Micro OSD board, which was also prepared for the XK A1200, but like the sensor module, it never made it in the plane. I flashed night_ghost's latest version of the code, and then sorted out the wiring, and it was rather nice not to have to split these for a change!

Looks so clean!

And so we come to the GPS unit! Even though the one that comes with the set is larger than the previous one, and also has a compass on board, which I will not be using, I decided to still use it because it is an M8N, and I thought it was about time I started using GLONASS on my builds... or at least some of them!

Wasn't going to use it stock though, so I removed the casing and the cable, and got some new wires to extend it!

The idea is to mount it as far back as possible, in order to have more flexibility with the CG.

And last to complete the set is a micro telemetry unit. Again, just needed a new cable to be able to fit the connectors on the Mini Pix, and that was easy to do!

Finally, here is the full set wired up for testing. Plugging in the battery did not result in any smoke, so I guess a job well done! Also, I made sure not to have any ground loops, as that could cause major issues further down the line, if not immediately!

Now it was time to start putting everything in the plane. Since there are a lot more modules now, with a lot more wiring attached, it would have been impossible to fit all of this only on the top plate of the Nano Talon, so I decided to put the Matek PDB and the ESC on the underside.

Continues in next post...

... continued from previous post!

The sensor module for the battery got heatshrinked and taped on the underside of the hatch locking section, which should provide enough cable length to allow a good amount of movement of the battery.

Because the PDB is now on the underside, and because I didn't feel like extending the existing servo SBEC wires, I just punched a hole in the foam to connect the SBEC to the PDB. Worked great and I think it also looks a bit cleaner that way.

This is the connector coming from the battery sensor module and the PDB, waiting for the Mini Pix to get mounted in.

The GPS got mounted as far back as the new extended cable would allow. This would enable me to move the battery a bit further forward in order to balance the plane, so more of it will be on the battery plate, rather than hanging over the bottom hatch.

Next it was time for the Mini Pix to get in there, and I used some 3M double sided pads to mount it. Power module plugs in from the side, and the safety switch/buzzer wiring went through the opening I had previously made for the power wires from the battery to the Omnibus controller. At the back the servo power harness was a good fit and was almost as clean of an installation as I had hoped it would be.

The safety switch went forward to be easily accessible and to help with CG a bit.

Things are finally starting to get together.

The XM+ receiver found a new spot, and I will have to figure something out to keep the antennas upright during flight.

On the other side of the area is the servo wiring, SBEC and harness... looks messy, but that is as good as I can get it without completely redoing everything, and I really didn't want to go there!

The OSD module received the video connections and was ready for operation.

At first I put the telemetry module right there to the right, next to the OSD, but that made closing the hatch difficult, so I moved it.

And that reduced the clutter a little bit!

It is now also sitting on the underside of the front hatch mount section, just so it is out of the way.

The Vtx also got relocated a bit. Before it was mounted where the PDB is now, and the antenna was on the inside, but I thought it would be a good idea to stick that antenna on the outside, and this was the quickest way I could figure out how to do it! It is not perfect and will need revising, but for the time being it should work OK. Will have to find a way to get more cooling air going around it!

Continues in next post...

... continued from previous post!

Wiring-wise, things definitely look better on the underside of the plane. Everything was now plugged in and ready to go.

Ready for that first test flight with the Mini Pix.

So, this is pretty much how it looks like ready for flight on the inside... I think despite all the wiring... it looks OK... could have been a lot worse!

This is what I figured out for the receiver antennas for the time being... will have to think of something else, but I am also waiting on a R9 Mini receiver... so might as well install that one in there after I am done testing the range on this XM+ receiver.

This is how far forward I was able to get the battery in order to balance the Nano Talon. Now it is not hanging outside of the battery plate at the back, and I am quite happy with that!

So, lets get to flying then. Here is the video with the flight and the results, I hope you enjoy it and find it useful, and stay tuned as there will be more developments around the Nano Talon... and soon, I hope!

Navigator
    Nice, clean install! I'm surprised you didn't do the flat wing mod while you had it stripped down.

Nice, clean install! I'm surprised you didn't do the flat wing mod while you had it stripped down.
    Thanks!

Weeeeeell... as I mentioned in the video... I will do it, but I did want to get some benchmark flights with the Mini Pix and the stock plane configuration before any mods, so I would have some basis for comparison afterwards!

Navigator
    Just printed the parts & did the flat wing mod this weekend, it works awesome! I was able to get the old parts out by sliding a thin flat blade screwdriver between the foam & plastic to break the glue loose. Patience is the key, you can work around from both the inside & outside through the holes in the plastic wing support. The 3D printed version that is a drop in block was tempting, but it would be heavier and I don't want to add amy more weight than I have to on this little guy.

It flies great with no other mods, after launch I forgot about the change until about 20 minutes into the flight. In the higher winds at cruising altitude, I had no wobbles and turns were much smoother.

No video unfortunately, the DVR SD card just launched itself through a wormhole in my garage when I was trying to remove it.

Just printed the parts & did the flat wing mod this weekend, it works awesome! I was able to get the old parts out by sliding a thin flat blade screwdriver between the foam & plastic to break the glue loose. Patience is the key, you can work around from both the inside & outside through the holes in the plastic wing support. The 3D printed version that is a drop in block was tempting, but it would be heavier and I don't want to add amy more weight than I have to on this little guy.

It flies great with no other mods, after launch I forgot about the change until about 20 minutes into the flight. In the higher winds at cruising altitude, I had no wobbles and turns were much smoother.

No video unfortunately, the DVR SD card just launched itself through a wormhole in my garage when I was trying to remove it.
    Yeah, these SD cards are sneaky little bastards!!

As for the plane, great news! I still have flown mine only a few times with the mod, and it does appear to have made a difference, but more testing is needed, and more DVR review to make sure there is a measurable difference!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast