Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 1 miler !!

First 1 miler !!

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in. Getting my feet wet at flying longer distances

Please don't laugh, but did fly my first 6,000 ft. out today. Have always been apprehensive about going out of "line of sight" , not for the legal issue involved with flying FPV, but with the security issue of losing a plane. Having done this, I feel confident with flying out further.

Equipment used:

Stratosurfer RMRC
    Dragon link slim for TX,
    Eagle Tree Vector OSD
    600 mW 5.8 VTX Cricket Pro with Spironet Omni antennae
    Fatsharks V3 with Furious True Diversity receiver with Mad Mushroom and VAS Spironet antennaes OR Clearview Pro with Vitennaes.

Did not have my DVR going to record my flight, but thanks to all out there who have helped me understand FPV, direct me how to set up my equipment, and give help when needed to understand this GREAT hobby we have.

Thanks

Cary
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 21st October 2017 at 05:00 PM.

It's best to start slow and work out the bugs as they show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
    It's best to start slow and work out the bugs as they show up.
    Hey Kreskin, Nice to hear from you !! So far no bugs, or all has been worked out to this point. All is going well as video was clear on entire flight. Just being careful. Using the FPV distance calculator that was provided earlier, looks like I could go almost 4 mile with my set-up. Not going to push this distance...

Navigator
    Congratulations! I've been steadily doing the very same and taking small steps. Not laughing here, you beat my best by 1/4 mile. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Krulm View Post
    Congratulations! I've been steadily doing the very same and taking small steps. Not laughing here, you beat my best by 1/4 mile. lol
    Thanks for the encouragement. Weather turning bad here makes it hard to get in flights. Wet and wind now. Would like to get in a 2 mile flight. Should be able to do this with the DL TX and RX.

Good luck with your flights and set-up. Lots of fun flying with FPV !!!

Two miles will be no problem for you if the 5.8 can make it. Just have enough height. Possibly in the future, keep your 5.8 for a repeater and for mini quads and use 2.4 or 1.3 for distance. I have everything on 2.4 with a 5.8 repeater and it's very good.

^^ I use the same setup. 2.4 with a 5.8 repeater. works very very well
    flyin HIGH

Navigator
    Congrats! Running similar setup except ezuhf and 1.3 vtx. Went out a mile a couple of weeks ago and hope to try for a little longer today. What battery are you running in your surfer?

Quote Originally Posted by FPVZed View Post
    Congrats! Running similar setup except ezuhf and 1.3 vtx. Went out a mile a couple of weeks ago and hope to try for a little longer today. What battery are you running in your surfer?
    Went 1.3 here at the 2:30 mark. Using 3200 mah 3 cell packs.

Navigator
    Didn't get to fly the surfer yesterday. Maidened a RMRC Recruit. Gyro was defective so set up a mix and went for it. Flys great. I have a dvr now so I'll see if I can get a vid soon. Running a 3S 5200 Multistar batt in the surfer and hoping for 5 miles out on a good day.
    Last edited by FPVZed; 8th November 2017 at 09:23 PM.