FPVLAB

Thread: Prototype Drak build

Prototype Drak build

Been kind of busy since returning from the short vacation.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	365.3 KB 
ID:	77551

Upon arriving to Ritewing in Apache Junction last week, wanted to stop off and see the shop in person and have a good talk with Chris about how to keep a great business up and running. Had an absolute blast and learned a few additional tips on working with foam as well as keeping a level head when dealing with over ambitious investors. In the end, a worthwhile stop during a week on the road.

I had asked if he had any templates for the Prototype Drak since I still can't get over how well the first Proto Drak handles and he upped the ante one over by getting this other Prototype Drak down from the Hanger. It had been in the shop longer than he expected and stocked it up with all necessary gear to get it assembled. Talk about getting a Xmas present early, completely blown away and somehow managed to get it to fit into the already overloaded Chevy Cavalier, the first Drak slightly moved around to accommodate the extras.

As soon as I got home, got everything sorted out and put away and started to organize what I needed to get this new addition up in the air soon. One of the main items I was short on was the Vector that came highly recommended by Chris and emphasized how well it has served him with the various aircraft to this point. Within a few days I was contacted by a friend on the lab about a spare that he could part with. Need to load up the program and start getting familiarized with the new system and looking forward to it.

Views:	50 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	77552
    Was particularly surprised when he included the airspeed sensor with the set.

so I got to work cutting out the insert holes on the vertical stabs, and these were a different style stabs similar to the ones on the Z3 but the same height as the new Drak stabs. Trimmed down the elevons down in the same dimensions as the first Drak and used the hot wire cutter to make some foam strips out of the spare epp foam block than was brought home as well.

Views:	45 
Size:	424.9 KB 
ID:	77553

The foam strips were used to line up the inside rim on the nose section to offset the cover for the lipos. Cut a couple of additional blocks for the support formers fore and aft of the 3D printed box that holds the vector in place. Access holes were cut large enough for the bus lines and provide airflow through the fuselage.

Views:	43 
Size:	488.1 KB 
ID:	77556

I used an aluminum rod on the cordless drill to open up the access holes for the wing servos and the side access panels that house the gps, airspeed sensor on the right and the EzUhf on the left. A 25 watt soldering iron with a narrow 1.5" tip and a steel ruler were used to make the access panels.

Views:	48 
Size:	494.5 KB 
ID:	77554 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	47 
Size:	444.9 KB 
ID:	77555

The motor that is going to be tested first on this is the same diameter as the first Draks motor, a 3520 by 750 kv but longer by 1/4". It turned a rather large prop on the last plane on 4s and should be able to run with a 12x6 quite comfortably with a 75 amp Castle esc, testing the difference between a 4s to 6s on the amp draw and see what the more efficient setup will result.

Still a little ways to go to the first test flight.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Work is progressing right along for the last 2 days. Was able to apply the blue plastidip to the internal fuselage surface, mount the wing servos and complete the elevon surfaces.

Views:	37 
Size:	490.7 KB 
ID:	77560 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	35 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	77561

I placed 1/16" ply squares on the top and bottom of the elevon surfaces to strengthen up the mounting of the control horn bolt, has saved me on a couple other planes that showed much stress in this area

Views:	32 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	77562 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	77563

Using blue Ultrakote to cover the surfaces afterwards

Size:	354.7 KB 
ID:	77564

Also attached the upper fuselage covers and will see how to mount the flight camera in the nose as to work with the hd cam
    KF7TSE

Open for business

Quad newbie
    Runcam split would be nice in the nose?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    W7STE

Might be a good one to look into since the gopro's seem to butcher the nose up a little. Got a few weeks yet before it's ready for the maiden, could see if there's a good place to pick one up.
    KF7TSE

Open for business

Work is progressing steadily but encountered a few kinks along the way. Was able to work the problem through like any good avionics tech would do and hope to see this Drak in the air by this weekend if all goes well.

I loaded up the Eagletree program version 12.6, the latest and greatest release from Eagletree and started going through the modes after updating the onboard firmware, it was automatically presented during the program's start up and smoothed the configuration process right along.

Views:	36 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	77582 One issue I encountered was there no video output from the vector, wasn't sure if this was normal for the startup and set out to learn all there was to absorb from the modes enabled from the computer. I'm still reading through the manual and dam, this is way more in depth than any other system that I've had experience with in the past 10 years of fpv. I think I'll give myself some time to get familiarized with all of its versatility before putting down funds for a second unit.

As for the video problem, I tried using the trusty Haier monitor and a cable to plug straight into the Vector but didn't have display output, this continued on for the first day and put everything up to head off for work. The second day started out at 6:30 when the kids come down to head off for school and continued to work the issue with Backlash's assistance. Measured out the plugs to make sure there was connection and a video signal but nothing. It wasn't until I plugged in one of the 5.8 vtx's where there was a skewed static in the screen from the immersion receiver where I realized that out of both video outputs, the video line on output 2 was the wrong cable as where output 1 was correct and there it was, still unsure why it wouldn't work when plugged directly in but this is all the better, atleast it'll be ready when I attach the 1.28 vtx.

So all that's left to do is complete the installation of the cables and arrange them to fit in everything without too much hassle.

Size:	427.1 KB 
ID:	77583

The camera is the Sony 600 tvl and inserted into a housing I designed on Solidworks that is also used on the first prototype Drak.

Views:	34 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	77584

As I was going through the configurations for the Vector, I felt installing a short usb cable on the Vector and using an extension when I hook up to the computer, this way it'll be in its flight level attitude if I need to do any stabilization settings while attached.

Views:	34 
Size:	470.5 KB 
ID:	77585

So, let's hope that all goes well for the first launch. I know that as I work out the first initial bugs, Chris's configurations he's recommended might have to be loaded up eventually but I do want a good shakedown before changing much before its time.
    Last edited by airtruksrus; 6th October 2017 at 03:01 PM.
    KF7TSE

Open for business

So it's been a few attempts that didn't work out so well with the power source currently in place. As of now it has a 2860 800 kv motor since the larger outrunner was damaged from the previous crash on the last plane. Somehow the windings broke loose from the internal shaft and caused an overload for the brief second it went above 2.5 amps on the Vector.

The test flight attempt started out with making sure the Vector was in great working order, 9 sats as usual to start. The lipo used to power it up is a 6600 4s Turnigy, unfortunately it has XT90 plugs and only one adapter. In order to make the weight and balance of the Proto Drak, I need both of the 6600 lipos in order to get the plane to balance out. With the added cell and not connected, weighed it down enough to not gain speed enough to lift off. It left my hand in the underhand toss as usual with the first Drak but not the amount of punch of the 6s. Might have another motor to test out but want to give the Sunnysky a chance and see how it does in the end.

Been looking at ways to arrange the weight to lighten it up a little but might concede that I will need to get a 5000 - 6000 5s to give it a little more thrust and reduce the amount of lead for counterbalance along with the Gopro2 in the enclosure sitting on the nose above the flight cam. As for now the Drak is due for the next launch with the 4s but looking at a theoretical flight plan that might draw more current than the lipo can keep up with and will probably end up with a short flight around the field. The larger 5s pack would cut down on the amount of throttle used during the cruise portion, still have to get it on order though.
    KF7TSE

Open for business

I kind of held off trying to do some additional test flights until I could get the weight down a little, looks like the Gopro2 on the nose didn't slow it down much. I am looking at being able to use an 8000 5s to give it plenty of power and weight distribution. This plane should have a huge amount of endurance for atleast 40 minutes estimated if it works, will have to get another update to see how close it comes to that. I was just blown away at how well it handled after the successful 4th launch attempt, rock solid and no porpoising, nailed the cg this time. The Vector had no major issues to worry about, maybe a slight gyro alignment to correct a slight right drift when in 2D+hold.
    KF7TSE

Open for business

Probably close up this thread from here after a second very successful flight. Perhaps later on down the flight line i'll look into getting the big Drak Secret Sauce motor to throw on it and give it a little bit of rocket power. Seems to have plenty of umph to climb from the ground at a steep angle.
    KF7TSE

Open for business