FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZOHD Nano Talon, tiny plane with BIG potential!

ZOHD Nano Talon, tiny plane with BIG potential!

A little while back I bought a ZOHD Nano Talon from Banggood. I wasn't expecting much, just a nice little plane mainly for installing and testing iNav for my first time. This is quite a surprising little plane! Real hinges on the control surfaces, dense molded EPP construction, and, surprisingly, a bunch of room for installing electronics and stuff. On only my 2nd flight, I was out nearly 3 miles on 10mW Crossfire, 600mW 5.8GHz video, with a flight duration of about an hour on a 3S 3500mah Li Ion pack. Current draw is less than 4A at cruise speed of about 30MPH on stock 2204 1870kv motor & 6030 prop. Wings & tail snap on/off with no servo wires to worry about, and will pop off in a crash. Only downside is currently no spare parts are available, including the somewhat unique prop & motor mount.

Looking forward to really testing the legs on this little thing. It's so easy to toss in the Jeep, yet have a fully capable long range FPV plane in such a tiny package.

Here's a few pix...stock stabilizer setup, dual bellcranks for ailerons, true V tail control.

Lots of room in nose, but double stacked Li Ion packs won't fit under foam without some mods. I can get CoG easy with a 3S 4200mah 20700 based pack and it carries the 208g pack just fine.

RTFQ F4 Omni Pro board & Neo M8N GPS run iNav and handle OSD duties just fine.

Nice, ply mounting area for flight controller, stock ESC does get a little warm when just running the servos. FC powers itself, GPS, and Crossfire Rx. The cam and VTx have filtered power direct from battery via FC passthrough.

3S 4200mah 20700 pack fits perfectly, cam cutout in nose nicely sized and aimed.

More space underneath for other electronics as needed. I have the servo power leads running to a 5v manifold down here.

All closed up, no interference noted between cam/VTx, GPS, and Xfire micro. The 2.8 mile trip was cut short due to loss of video, which likely could have been cleared up with some antenna position tweaking...I'm pretty sure they were aimed a little high.

Fly,crash,glue,repeat! Jake Bullit's Avatar
    Nice tidy setup.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Navigator
    oh, really?

Mine it's coming soon. Nice build.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Just got mine today. Am def excited to see how this flies!

Beautiful details inside, love that thing.

I bought, flew, and sold mine already... just wasn't my cup of tea.

Few things to note:
    1. It is "bobbly" in flight- hard to explain... lose and sloppy? If I were to get another one I would just glue it all together and do everything I could to remove all the slop form the control linkages as possible.
    2. I ran 4s Li-ION pack from titan in it, I had to carve out a little foam to make it fit, but it hauled it just fine.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    I bought, flew, and sold mine already... just wasn't my cup of tea.

Few things to note:
    1. It is "bobbly" in flight- hard to explain... lose and sloppy? If I were to get another one I would just glue it all together and do everything I could to remove all the slop form the control linkages as possible.
    2. I ran 4s Li-ION pack from titan in it, I had to carve out a little foam to make it fit, but it hauled it just fine.
    I'm curious, did it have those same tendencies on smooth air higher up? Or just skittish in slightly turbulent air lower to the ground?

There's not a lot of room to mount the iNav FC, and I had to rotate it for access to all the plugs and soldered connections. This worked great for everything except the USB plug unfortunately. I was having to unscrew it every time I wanted to hook it up to the iNav configurator. To fix that, I put the FC on taller standoffs and used this 90* micro USB extension cable. There's just enough room to slide it in/out of the plug, and it's not tight like some cables.

​That looks very cool. nice job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast