FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help to answer this?

Navigator

Can someone help to answer this?

Some people says it's good antennas give you improved range in FPV game, not more powerful transmitters. While some other says the more output power your transmitter has the further its signal will travel, and to double your range you need to quadruple your transmitter output power.
    So what do you say to that?

It's true. The best way to get better range is to use a high gain directional antenna. Antennas are best described like a light. The energy in RF is not visible but the spread is the same. An omidiectional antenna like a dipole is like taking a flashlights focus cap off. Light goes everywhere but it is not very bright. There is also a null point where light is not bright at all. The dipole antenna is very similar where the signal is everywhere but not very strong at a distance. Now with the flashlight you can change the beam focus to a wide beam all the way to a very narrow beam. The most narrow beam will light up an object at a far distance but the flashlight has to point directly at it. With a directional antenna it is the same way. Some of the highest gain directional antenna's are Yagi's. These are often used for TV signals. They can pick up the signal from very far away but they must be pointed at the source in order to get the signal. FPV is the same way. There are a few solutions for these problems. One of the best is to know your flight and stay within the beam. The other is to use an antenna tracker that will point the high gain antenna at your aircraft as it flies. This works but adds a layer of complexity and another failure point. I personally use a Diversity receiver with a Omni directional antenna for when I am in close and then a medium to high gain directional antenna pointed along my flight path. This works fine for a straight out and back flight. I use multiple different antenna manufactures and VAS is one of them. I have met Alex and he is a very helpful and knowledgeable guy. I suggest watching some of his videos to help you get started. http://videoaerialsystems.com/video/

alex's 2.4 pepperbox is the best $100 I've ever spent on FPV equipment big gain with wide beam
    flyin HIGH

Navigator
    People are more interested in mmcx clover/ pagoda antenna, it seems mmcx is the trend, but nobody sells linear antennas with mmcx, and people using linear antennas prefer to connect it directly to the board with the IPEX plug, and AKK released new X2 transmitter has just sma and mmcx two choices, so some people suggest don't solder the antenna cable directly in the board

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    alex's 2.4 pepperbox is the best $100 I've ever spent on FPV equipment big gain with wide beam
    Have the 5.8 pepperbox coming in. Can't wait to try it. Have been using the Crosshair and Mad Mushroom on my diversity receiver (Furious True D). Gives good results.

They say they are a low altitude antennae and limited on vertical (50 degrees)l because of their wide bandwidth coverage (180 degrees). I typically fly 1.0 mile. Would 400 ft. altitude still fit in its range ?

Thanks

Cary

Draw yourself a scale picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL I fly out to 5 or 6 km at less than 400' alt all the time. never an issue. if ur going to go high I think u can turn the pepperbox sideways. now ur vertical beam is 150 * and sideways now 50*
    flyin HIGH

Would this work ?

Tangent

The Tangent of angle θ is:
    tan(θ) = Opposite / Adjacent
    So Inverse Tangent is :
    tan-1 (Opposite / Adjacent) = θ
    tan x = Opposite / Adjacenttan x = 300/400 = 0.75
    x = tan-1 (0.75) = 36.9 (correct to 1 decimal place)
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 8th November 2017 at 08:15 PM.

LOL im over 50yrs old with a grade 8 education I think its easier for me to just climb till my RSSI and video come back
    flyin HIGH

Correct doobie, I find climbing usually is best for those instances when I start to lose rssi.. very few times when I decided to descend did things get better....

you're lucky to still have an education doob... I think most of what I learned in the 8th grade is long forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast