Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All-in-One LiIon and Solar Powered Ground Station in a case

Quote Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
    Very nice so far, looking forward to the build since I like my long range too.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Userofmuchtape&glue View Post
    Very professional!

I need me one of them spot welders.. I made the mistake of trying to convert a 3S to 2S by removing one of the cells... yeah now I can't solder them back together!
    Yeah... been there... reconfiguring LiPo packs is a nightmare without one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by eosbandi View Post
    Hi,
    Just wondering, how do you plan to use the battery while charging ? Since the current setup does not permit that, so you either charging or powering up the ground station.....

In my last setup I used an SLA battery with a picoUPS board, no solar but can charge and use GS simultaneously....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I can always add a second lead and take care of that, but since I made this battery and everything was OK with it, I decided to invest in better and higher capacity cells for the final version, so I will be making a new 3S 21A pack when the time comes!
    It will have all necessary connections to facilitate whatever is needed.

Navigator

All-in-One LiIon and Solar Powered Ground Station in a case

Quote Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post

I can always add a second lead and take care of that, but since I made this battery and everything was OK with it, I decided to invest in better and higher capacity cells for the final version, so I will be making a new 3S 21A pack when the time comes!
    It will have all necessary connections to facilitate whatever is needed.
    Correct me if I wrong, but this is not how it works, you cannot connect parallel the charger, battery and the ground station. The CV/CC circuitry of the charger will go haywire..... It needs an UPS like circuitry....
    Here is a nice discussion about it : https://electronics.stackexchange.co...while-charging

Last edited by eosbandi; 25th August 2017 at 04:51 AM.

Correct me if I wrong, but this is not how it works, you cannot connect parallel the charger, battery and the ground station. The CV/CC circuitry of the charger will go haywire..... It needs an UPS like circuitry....
    Here is a nice discussion about it : https://electronics.stackexchange.co...while-charging

I actually read what was discussed in that thread, and I don't see a reason why my plan won't work! I will actually be getting power for the electronics in essence directly from the solar charge controller, but before the BMS! While nothing is begin powered on the ground station, all incoming current will be going to the BMS and the battery, when I switch something on, part of the current from the solar panel will be used for that, the excess will go to the BMS. When I plug a ton of stuff that will consume more than the solar panel can produce, all of the panel's current will go towards powering those, and whatever is needed in addition will come from the battery. I don't see a problem with this actually...?

Navigator
    I actually read what was discussed in that thread, and I don't see a reason why my plan won't work! I will actually be getting power for the electronics in essence directly from the solar charge controller, but before the BMS! While nothing is begin powered on the ground station, all incoming current will be going to the BMS and the battery, when I switch something on, part of the current from the solar panel will be used for that, the excess will go to the BMS. When I plug a ton of stuff that will consume more than the solar panel can produce, all of the panel's current will go towards powering those, and whatever is needed in addition will come from the battery. I don't see a problem with this actually...?
    You see the solar panel a a power source, but the Constant Current and trickle charge circuit is in the solar charger side, the BMS only manages to balance the cells. The question is, how the load confuses the charging circuit on the solar charger. Best case it will not interfere, worst case the charger won't stop charging and overcharge the cells, then BMS cut it off... it could be a mess. I recommend to check the power load scenarios before going big

I am not sure if the charging circuit will be very confused about the load. As far as it is concerned nothing will change with the load on and off! It monitors the battery voltage, and as long as there is power coming from the solar panel, it will keep charging the battery until it gets it to the pre-set voltage, where it will have to stop charging. Also, it has a fixed amount of current to give at the battery voltage, so it shouldn't matter how much you consume... it will always give a set amount of current, the difference will come from the battery. As long as the voltage is below the cut off point it will keep giving current to the battery. If the consumption is lower than the current coming from the solar charger, the battery voltage will decrease, and at some point the charge controller will start charging again! After all you don't set a battery capacity that it has to reach... it only sees battery voltage and keeps working as long as it has power coming from the solar, and as long as the battery voltage is under the cut off value.

At least that is how I see it working...

Navigator
    I am not sure if the charging circuit will be very confused about the load. As far as it is concerned nothing will change with the load on and off! It monitors the battery voltage, and as long as there is power coming from the solar panel, it will keep charging the battery until it gets it to the pre-set voltage, where it will have to stop charging. Also, it has a fixed amount of current to give at the battery voltage, so it shouldn't matter how much you consume... it will always give a set amount of current, the difference will come from the battery. As long as the voltage is below the cut off point it will keep giving current to the battery. If the consumption is lower than the current coming from the solar charger, the battery voltage will decrease, and at some point the charge controller will start charging again! After all you don't set a battery capacity that it has to reach... it only sees battery voltage and keeps working as long as it has power coming from the solar, and as long as the battery voltage is under the cut off value.

At least that is how I see it working...
    Oh, so the charger does not switch to Constant Voltage when a preset voltage is reached ? Then it is a different story.

Oh, so the charger does not switch to Constant Voltage when a preset voltage is reached ? Then it is a different story.
    Actually I think it does have a CV phase, but even with that it is easy to get around it! I will be monitoring solar performance and battery voltage and current on the GS, and will have switches for every line, so when the battery is near full I can just switch off the solar panel and wait till I drain it a bit before switching it back on. It shouldn't be a big bother, at least until I can find some other compact and light MPPT controller for LiIon packs.

Navigator
    Very nice!!

Thanks... now... if I could only find the time to finish this project! Recently I suffered a setback with the monitor I was going to use... so have to wait for a new one!

OK guys, plans might start moving forward shortly, but here is a quick summary of the state of things, for the record, and because quite a lot of people asked for this!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12