www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex 285 - It goes thru bootup routine but I can't get it to spin props

Navigator

Vortex 285 - It goes thru bootup routine but I can't get it to spin props

I've had the 285 for about 6 months and its a handful for this 77 year old geezer/flyer. But I use a 3 cell battery and manage to have some nice speedy runs. Tried FPV but thats another story for another post.
    I took a tumble with it and broke a carbon fiber tube arm. Replaced it and the ESC and booted it up. It started up with the throttle in the bottom right as normal but the new esc spun the motor backwards. I went thru the change direction of motor routine for about an hour and finally got the 5 beeps. Now I can't get the quad to spin the props at all. I've tried to do the reset of the little button on the rear light panel but nothing changes. On my original setup I had to change the throttle travel to achieve a start up but that has been solid until now. Any suggestions??
    BTW: I have never upgraded the software. Never needed to. I'm not computer literate to even attempt that routine.

Well the only way to see what is happening is hooking it up to a computer. And since the introducion of the 285 there are so many new firmware versions that the cleanflight configurator is no longer compatible with the release version of the 285. Do you maybe have someone in your neighbourhood that could help you with it?

Navigator
    Trust me, there isn't anyone Iknow that can help with this issue. I purchased the Vortex because I thought I could get support from the vendor but the selling vendor just said that they just sell it, they don't support it. I hate to have wasted $200 bucks on something that you now indicate, if I read correctly, is obsolete? I hate to say it but I get fantastic support from the Syma line of quadcopters, and never find them to have a stocking issue. This just sticks in my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmersionRC Support View Post
    Well the only way to see what is happening is hooking it up to a computer. And since the introducion of the 285 there are so many new firmware versions that the cleanflight configurator is no longer compatible with the release version of the 285. Do you maybe have someone in your neighbourhood that could help you with it?
    So I have original 285 I updated a few times but quit updating as was having no issues. So now if I have an issue I guess it is all over? Is obsolete or can I update?
    That is a bit crazy.

No that is not what I said. If you update it with the latest firmware from our website. You have the latest and greatest quadcopter firmware. What I meant was the the firmware it came with is obsolete. So upgrading is the way to go.

OK, I mis-read. So am I to upgrade firmware and all will be fine, probably better?

You only have to upgrade if you want to use some of the new features. Otherwise there is no reason too. If you like how it's flying now don't upgrade. It can be tricky sometimes.

I am not flying as much as I was and while the Vortex may we'll be easier and/or better to fly, I am ok with it as is. I do watch postings about the 285 and upgrades seem to be a bit of an issue. I believe I will stick with "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it". Thanks for input,,

Navigator
    OK, I'm the original poster. I did a quick check of neighbors here in WY and their reactions: "whats a Vortex 285". But, I went to the startup routine using the goggles and with that, after several attempts, did allow me to boot up and fly. But: When I used the Yaw in the setup, it wouldn't move the bar. But after adjusting the trim to an extreme off center position, it did react positively. Now the quad won't shut down by throttle movement to the far left down position. I have to move the Yaw trim to the same far extreme that I did in the setup routine. Not something I can't live with if I remember to move them to neutral before takeoff but annoying.

Pls return your trims to center and then rerun the osd txwizzard that should fix it.