FPVLAB

Thread: Flying Club - Public Land

Flying Club - Public Land

Does anyone know the "rules" around flying clubs on public land? Long story short, I have been flying at a spot now for several years. A couple years ago a guy came up there and started flying after being kicked out of a club. I recently started going back up there and see that he mows a small area for himself. I left him a note saying that I would be willing to help him mow / put gas in the mower if he'd like. He started some static a couple years ago because he doesn't like FPV, and I was more trying to extend an olive branch so I don't have to be stressed out when flying up there. Anyway, he texted me to call him after getting my note so that "he could fill me in on what's going on up there". I have a strong suspicion that he is going to try to pull something to the effect of "we have a club up there now" and attempt to try to make it sound like I can't fly up there. I want to call and get it over with, but I want to know what the actual rules are on that stuff so I can strategize my reply if the conversation does go that direction. I don't think anyone can claim exclusive access to public land like that, but wanted to get the take of some people that might be in clubs or have been in a similar situation. Thanks!

Navigator
    public land like BLM, state parks, state forest, national forest are all fine for you to fly as far as I have read for my area. National parks are the only one you cant fly at.

If hes got some understanding with the forest service or whatever thats fine, but there could be no way he could tell you not to go there unless its a personally owned plot in the middle of public land. Those types of privately owned dots in the middle of state/national land are common so I'd look into that first. they are usually associated with active mine claims. if they arent flat out private residences
    Last edited by Tronski; 6th July 2017 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks. No, this is one of the "open space" plots that my town has where they buy old farm land and open it to the public as park land so that developers can't buy it and build on it - it's their effort to keep our town nice and green and not over populated. He definitely doesn't own anything on it. I just know that there's another flying club that uses some space at another park and a few years ago I went and flew a few hundred yards away from them at another part of the field and they confronted me and basically kicked me out. I didn't know any better, so I figured they had the right since they had the club there. Figured this guy was going to try to pull a similar move of basically claiming the land for the club and therefore dictating who could and could not fly on it. There's more to the story - he started some trouble with me flying there a couple years ago because he doesn't like fpv. Nothing came of it, but there's already bad blood. This was my way of extending the olive branch and saying hey, let's get along and stay out of each other's hair. We'll see - I'll give him a call tomorrow and find out. Thanks for the reply.

If you can let him do most of the talking

It might get a bit tricky if he is related to or on a first name basis with some of the town cronies....

Who knows he might like FPV now!!! looking forward to a positive outcome on this

Quote Originally Posted by RonSII View Post
    If you can let him do most of the talking

It might get a bit tricky if he is related to or on a first name basis with some of the town cronies....

Who knows he might like FPV now!!! looking forward to a positive outcome on this
    Thanks Ron. From what I remember, he knew the guy that originally brought me up there, but doesn't have any connections further. I do have a connection with the woman who originally "found" the place for my old buddy - she worked for the town parks commission but has since retired. I could always contact her for advice I suppose, but don't want to impose or only call because I need something. They also recently put up a gate and padlock. I went there with my son one morning after finding a softball tournament at our usual location to see that I couldn't get up the driveway anymore. I wrote to the town and told them my story and asked for the combo, which they gave me. They also thanked me and my club for mowing the portion that we do. I used to mow the entire plot (a couple acres) with my old friend who borrowed a huge mower from his farmer friend every week, but that old friend doesn't fly anymore and no longer goes up there - but the new guy does mow his little area, which I suspect is what he was talking about and is feeding in to my suspicion. Anyway, thank you for the advice. I will do my best to keep my mouth shut and hope for the best. Regardless I am going to fly up there as it's public and a great spot, but I would love to do it stress free and not feel like I have an enemy or that I am doing something wrong. Hopefully all goes well! Thanks.

I feel like such a bitch now. I let this fester in my mind for days (like I said, there's a history there and there aren't many flying places, so losing one would be a big hit), but I finally called the guy and it was a fantastic conversation. He did say what I thought he would say - "I talked to the town and they gave me control of the place" - he rang out all the right names, so I know he wasn't bullshiting, but then he said "welcome back, have fun up there". He even talked about how his helis only fly within a small area and that he knows that I have all the "hi tech equipment" (part of his gripe was that I was flying out of line of sight a couple years ago when I became obsessed with long range - I don't fly long range anymore). But I told him I don't fly long range anymore and he said "don't care - those days are over". Lol I suppose. It was a good convo. I'm going to throw him $50 which will go to the landscaping guy that he has go up there a couple times a year to clear some area and I suppose will make me "part of the club" in a sense. Man... I really prepared for battle on that one. Glad it went as it did, and thanks to you guys who gave me advice. It worked out great

LOL cool story
    flyin HIGH