Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAA Reauthorization Bill 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
    Well said, the problem is the lone "advocate" in our corner seems to only support the good ol' boys flying in boring circles from approved fields.
    If by that comment you mean the AMA, you need to understand until FPV'ers or drone operators become a majority of the AMA's membership and grantors, you really cannot expect anything else.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

It's a vicious cycle, the AMA does not support quads and FPV, therefore nobody who enjoys those aspects of hobby join AMA. Back in 2015 when this 1st started, the AMA had the opportunity to represent the whole hobby and have increased bargaining power, but instead chose to raise dues and push even more people away.

I expect nothing but abject failure from AMA, on the bright side I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do somehow manage to to accomplish anything in my favor. With a membership of less than 200k, they are not exactly a large presence considering they have no commercial aspects or taxes to pay.

A better representative body would be an org that does represent all modelers, perhaps a coalition of drone/FPV related hobby shops and the various racing leagues that have sprung up.

Co-Pilot
    Yes, a global body to represent drone fliers (racing craft, Phantom-menace users and all the other variants) needs to be formed in a way that attracts the millions of folk who have a drone but presently belong to no representative body for such activities.

Given that there are now more drone users than pilots, such a body should have a membership and a level of influence which exceeds that of existing sport/recreational aviation organisations.

So why are we all sitting on our thumbs and complaining but not actually doing anything?

There is the DJI initiative but I think that to be truly effective, such an organization has to be independent of any manufacturer or specific group of multirotor users -- it must be generic enough to attract *all* drone users and the barrier to entry (financial and otherwise) must be low enough that people won't even hesitate to join-up.

Imagine if we bought a million-plus names to bear on addressing regulation and regulatory reform. *THEN* we'd be able to influence the outcome but, so long as we're just a bunch of disparate, disorganized individuals, regulators and politicians feel they can ignore us with impunity.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    There was such an organization... well.. sort of... The FPVTA. Unfortunately they managed to make me the president of the organization even after I asked to not be considered (no time and terrible leadership skills on my part). I wish I had a better way... but... well... I am only human... and I suck at politics.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Yes, a global body to represent drone fliers (racing craft, Phantom-menace users and all the other variants) needs to be formed in a way that attracts the millions of folk who have a drone but presently belong to no representative body for such activities.
    This old horse has been beaten so many times that by now it should be fully tenderized into a pile of pink mush.

Such an organization will never be formed because;

1. Drone operators/FPV'ers by and large loathe politics.

2. They refuse to spend a dime to help out unless they first see results, Alex was doing some work along the lines of pushing the FAA's limits and could have used some serious backing, but the common excuse for not supplying any was, "how do we know he will succeed" or "if he gats nailed then I will consider helping out." To that I say, who in their right would want to pull out their wallet and have it flattened and stick their neck out in the process as well.

3. They are largely apathetic engaging in nothing proactive, while spending countless hours posting bitches about how the regulators are screwing them once again.

4. And they spend excessive amount of time and energy blaming others for causing the problem, utilizing terms like "Phantom Menace," while totally failing to self police.

5. Plus they are a PR disaster uploading videos and posting stories about their latest stupid moves, which do nothing more then to add fuel to the already burning ban drone fires.

Only this time boys and girls it's not the regulators stepping into the fray it's Congress and yes folks they can actually pass laws which the regulators must and will enforce.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12