www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex 150 silver solder?

Navigator

Vortex 150 silver solder?

Hey so the other day I decided to try an install a a longer an larger gauge wire for the power connection on my vortex 150. But upon trying to desolder the old power lead from the board, I noticed that the solder wasn't melting as easy as I thought it would. Every time I added solder to my iron then touched it to the joint the joint would just suck the solder right off my iron. I had my iron initially on 700* then turned it up to 800* (keeping in mind that to much heat could ruin the board). Then I had a thought that maybe they use silver solder we're I heard need really high temp to melt.

was wondering what type of solder is used on the board? Or what was I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just regular lead free bunny hugger approved solder that is hard for most people to use.... make sure you have a really good tinned tip of the proper size and plenty of good NEW flux, and remember whenever working with large connections you need *lots* of quick heat transfer to bring the targets up to temperature.

Suggest reading this.
    http://store.curiousinventor.com/gui...kind_of_solder

Silver solder used in electronics has lower melting point apparently. Your situation looks more like an issue of flux.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paperquad2015 View Post
    Hey so the other day I decided to try an install a a longer an larger gauge wire for the power connection on my vortex 150. But upon trying to desolder the old power lead from the board, I noticed that the solder wasn't melting as easy as I thought it would. Every time I added solder to my iron then touched it to the joint the joint would just suck the solder right off my iron. I had my iron initially on 700* then turned it up to 800* (keeping in mind that to much heat could ruin the board). Then I had a thought that maybe they use silver solder we're I heard need really high temp to melt.

was wondering what type of solder is used on the board? Or what was I doing wrong?

First you are dealing with lead free solder and you don't have an iron with enough wattage to quickly melt the solder on the pads.

Second you really want to pull the board and unsolder from underneath, where you have good access to the pads and are not burning up insulation.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Why don't you just solder a longer piece of wire tot the existing wires? That's a lot easier if you are not that experienced in soldering.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmersionRC Support View Post
    Why don't you just solder a longer piece of wire tot the existing wires? That's a lot easier if you are not that experienced in soldering.
    I thought about that then I was thinking that I might not work as good with soldering a bigger gauge wire on to a smaller gauge wire so I will try that next time.

Navigator

I thought about that then I was thinking that I might not work as good with soldering a bigger gauge wire on to a smaller gauge wire so I will try that next time.

Was I wrong In thinking that?

Was I wrong In thinking that?

No that is correct.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Well it will work without an issue actually. It doesn't look good but it will work.

I believe that if you snip off existing wire leaving 1/4 - 1/2" or so sticking up off pad and put solder on it and on equal length of new bigger exposed wire and then solder them together it should be good. The bigger wire should be snugged up to the pad also. Put shoe-goo or something on later to minimize any flexing at this point.