FPVLAB

Thread: Review: Eachine VR D2 Pro 5 Inches 800*480 40CH 5.8G Diversity FPV Goggles w/ DVR

Review: Eachine VR D2 Pro 5 Inches 800*480 40CH 5.8G Diversity FPV Goggles w/ DVR

Eachine VR D2 Pro 5 Inches 800*480 40CH 5.8G Diversity FPV Goggles w/ DVR Lens Adjustable: available from Banggood.com

Features:

• 5.8 gHz. Diversity headset: 2 receivers with 2 different antenna styles (RP-SMA RH Circular Polarized and flat plate), can select receiver-A, or B, or auto-select between them based upon signal strength. Having both receivers active (auto) requires more power.
    • 40 channels, supporting raceband.
    • Bright/clear display, 800*480 resolution.
    • DVR (Digital Video Recorder) with audio and playback (no audio out jack however), 64GB TF max (not included), selectable recording durations (30,20,10 minutes).
    • Built-in channel scanner, graphically shows you what channels are in use.
    • RSSI calibration (run before flight to sync. with your FPV transmitter and select your channel).
    • Adjustable focus lens 0-3.5x (190mm).
    • Displays battery voltage, receiver signal strengths, and selected channel on display.
    • Tripod mountable (M6.0 nut).
    • 10 language support.

Included:

• Headset (non-removable display).
    • 7.4V 2200mAh Li-ION battery (consists of 2 x 18650 batteries, good for 3+ hours).
    • Proper battery charger for USA!
    • RHCP and plate antennas.
    • RP-SMA (male on receivers, female on antennas)
    • Foam pad for headset, additional fuzzy pad for nose area.
    • Extra pads included
    • Alcohol pads for cleaning headset prior to installing pads
    • Instructions.
    • Broken English, but sufficient to figure it out

Problems:

• I have vision problems (I am 53 years old), the included lens is not strong enough for me. This really is only a concern when flying low or close to objects, when flying in the wide-open I can adjust to it.
    • I expect the included lens will be fine for those with better vision or younger eyes than mine. If your vision is nearly perfect, or you need only minor correction, and you can focus close-in (read w/o correction) I expect you won’t have issues. Glasses/readers will not fit within the headset, however pince-nez styles will.
    • The barrel connector on battery is easily unplugged from the headset when in use, I plan to replace the connector with a JST.
    • System is not compatible with FatShark antennas, as it uses RP-SMA connectors while FatShark uses SMA. This won’t matter for most customers however.
    • When using the DVR to record with the stock antennas there is a bit of static, visible in the goggles and video. The static is absent if not recording.
    • There is a gap around my nose which lets in some light. This can easily be sealed with more padding, however I find it doesn’t impact my flight experience and is not a concern.

Summary:

I am quite impressed with this headset and the features it includes for the price (sub-$100). I have not seen a better headset with these features at the ~$100 price point. The display has a GREAT picture, clear and bright. Really good. The menus for configuring the display are logical and clear, especially after setting TRANSPARENT to OFF, which gives a solid gray background to the menus. It supports both 16:9 and 4:3 ratios.

The headset is lightweight and comfortable to wear, it does not feel “heavy” in use.

The DVR records very well (sample video), supporting recordings at VGA(640*480),D1(720*480),HD(1280*480). Audio can optionally be recorded. I did notice some latency in the display when recording, however it is acceptable for planes and general quad flights, however it might be a problem for quads flying close-in or racing. The videos are clear and smooth when played back on my computer.

The DVR is not as well integrated into the headset as it could be, the DVR-settings vs. display-settings are handled via very different menu systems, accessed via different sets of buttons. It is possible to have both sets of menus active at the same time.

I have not tested the range, or the diversity failover yet. Hopefully within a couple weeks I'll have my rig back in the air with which I typically go out 1+ miles on 5.8 gHz., and see how the reception is. I'll post an update below at that time.

If you think the lens will work for you, and you want a built-in DVR, BUY IT. Very good for the money, and the diversity feature and scan abilities are great.

Sample DVR recording: https://youtu.be/XkETD6u_xAM

Last edited by kross1; 4th June 2017 at 07:34 PM.
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Fly,crash,glue,repeat! Jake Bullit's Avatar
    Got mine last week.The box was damaged and the lens had a crack.BG are going to send a new lens.
    I wear reading glasses and could not get focus correct.I have ordered a 5 inch magnifier to see if that will help.
    Re the lag,you need to record on AV1 and view in AV2 to work around the problem.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."