Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to fry the goggle receiver modules?

Is it possible to fry the goggle receiver modules?

I've been having issues with my 2.4 video recently. I had an IRC vtx and the FS vrx module in the dominator and for some unknown reason it decided to stop working. I couldn't find any channel that would work. I posted my problem on the IRC thread and they suggested the rx was toast.

I tested the Tx which gave me 600-odd mW, perfect. I decided to buy a new Tx because I wouldn't believe that anything could happen to the rx module. After obtaining the new vtx, I hooked everything up and bench tested- perfect. I thought to myself it was definitely the vtx that was the issue, despite the fact I couldn't work out the cause of the problem.
    Fast forward to a test flight today.
    Pre-flight was good. Launched LOS, but as soon as the goggles went down, poor video at anything more than 50m. It was as if the receiver didn't have an antenna attached. I swapped everything out for my IRC 5.8 and it was perfect, so that rules out on-board interference. I moved the 2.4 gear to another plane, and same poor results. I was flying in a remote area and whilst I haven't measured it, I am very certain there is no 2.4 interference that would cause this problem.

Short question to a long story is, is my 2.4 receiver module toast?
    For info I use VAS antennas that are in perfect condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the the hell of it, put your stock linear antennas on both ends and do a ground test. Also, change them both to a different channel. Make sure the band switch is right as well.
    Last edited by Kreskin; 20th May 2017 at 07:47 PM.

Navigator
    Im the same with my NexWave module. the standalone TBS RX is all good but the Nexwave module is rubbish and goes to grey screen all the time at short range which has resulted in loss of aircraft on a previous occasion, seems to get worse the longer it is running.
    Impulse Alien, TBS Disco, Tek Sumo, S800, VAS Wraith, Skysurfer

I bought a replacement receiver module and having the same issues.
    This time I bench tested the setup and noticed that although the video is crystal clear on startup, within approximately a minute the video quality starts to degrade and over the course of another minute or so the video becomes completely snowed out. This would explain (and rule out) why previously I was able to get video on pre-flight checks but lose video shortly after.
    The degradation of video quality starts with a pixel-like distortion around differences in colour/light, eg on the horizon, and then the video appears to "melt" and turn to static.
    I am running the Dominators on a 2 cell lipo.

This has now happened on TWO Fatshark receiver modules and I'm not happy. Has anyone else had this issue?

Navigator
    +1 I have the same issue with a Nexwave module. It seems to get unusually hot and then the same problem arises.

Do you have a separate 2.4g receiver? Contact me if you want to use one of mine.

Navigator
    I have tested it with my TBS standalone Rx and its all good. Me and @Radius both have the old Gen 1 Dominators so im wondering if thats an issue.?

Co-Pilot
    Yes, you can fry the receiver module in your goggles but personally, I prefer them boiled and served with a lovely bechamel sauce. :-)

^^ camel sauce?? LOL
    flyin HIGH

Standby for testing with HD3s