Thread: looking for recommendations for a boat

Navigator

looking for recommendations for a boat

I sail and race model sailboats. I also have an electric power boat. I would like to put a FPV camera on the power boat to video the sailboat races from the water viewpoint. This is my first FPV so I'm not sure what I need or the best one to get. I've done some research online but there is so many different options my head is spinning, and you know I'll pick the wrong one anyways.

Here's what I would like:
    Video and Audio
    Live stream to either a monitor, not goggles, a laptop or tablet
    Able to record live stream or saved at camera
    I'll mount the camera on a gimbal for left/right and up/down pan. Adafruit has one with servos I could control from my transmitter that's controlling the boat
    Range would only be about a 1/4 mile no more than a 1/2.
    It should be some what waterproofed or at least the transmitter mounted in a waterproof container with the camera external

Any and all suggestions or comments welcomed
    Thanks
    John

I think a pan servo, a 5.8 vtx + cam, and some Corrosion-x will be all you need to get the job done but you can add an insane amount of doo-dads to these things if you want.

Navigator
    parajared

thanks for the reply, I found a few pan servos at Servo city, and a number of 5.8 vtx cameras. Have you used the Sony 600 TVL camera? How do I add audio in?

Thanks again

Have you used the Sony 600 TVL camera?
    Sort of, as far as I know "Sony 600 TVL" is a term that applies to a lot of brands and makes of cameras the "Fatshark 600TVL" for instance. I prefer to use a 2nd generation action cam as my main cam. Back in the old Mobius/Go Pro days this was a bad way to go but the new Runcam2, Mobius2, Legend2, Q6 have sorted out a lot of issues and made it so using an action cam as the main is just "kinda crappy" and not "awful" like it was wayyy back in the day (like 2 years ago, this sport is evolving fast).

If I wanted to do FPV but not use an action cam I like the Foxeer Monster the best.

How do I add audio in
    Most FPV cameras have mics in them. You route the audio wire (usually but not always the white wire) to the audio wire on your video transmitter. Your video transmitter sends both video and bullsh*t audio back to the receiver back at the ground station. How to send clean audio back to your rx is beyond me however.
    Last edited by parajared; 26th April 2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: clarify what kind of audio he will be getting

Navigator
    What about monitors? I don't want goggles as I'll have to watch the boat as the camera pans. I saw a LCD monitor that has a DVR built into it so you can record the feed. What are the other options for recording?

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it

You could use a gopro, mobuis, firefly, or one of the many other HD sport cams out there to record HD video to be played back after you are done boating(my preference). If you are recording off your monitor, it will not be a HD recording unless you are using a HD video system. It is considerably more money and not something I would want near water . Most of the time ground station recordings are used to locate downed aircraft or if the airframe is too small to carry a action cam.
    Here is a nice monitor/ goggle setup for cheap. Gives you the option of using goggles later on if you wish to try.
    https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-EV8...l?rmmds=search
    Other than that any old tv will work provided it has a analog input. You just need to worry about it "blue screening" when signal gets weak and being able to see it in the daylight.
    Cheap DVR
    https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Pro...l?rmmds=search

Can I ask why you need to watch the boat as the camera pans? I know nothing about boating except you need water to make it work.
    Last edited by Beerwiser; 27th April 2017 at 01:54 PM.
    "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve"
    Kid Rock

I was thinking of getting into a DragonForce 65 for recreational sailing. What do you as a sailboat racer recommend?
    Last edited by parajared; 27th April 2017 at 02:31 PM.

Navigator
    It was the Eachine LCD 5802 that I saw used in a youtube video, very cool. My plan with this was to video the sailboat races. The camera would be on a electric power boat, I would go along side or around the sailboats as they race. I would need to watch the camera boat to make sure I don't run into the sailboats. Also as I'm along side of them the camera would be facing them not where I'm going.

The DragonForce 65 is a great boat, I have one. It's a good starter boat comes all assembled, all the electronics installed. All you have to do is bolt the keel on and rig the sails. That will take a couple to a few hours. You can buy them with a transmitter/receiver for around $200 or with out those for $130 or so. I belong to the AMYA, American Model Yacht Association. They have sanctioned races all over the country, you register your boat with them to be in the races. The DragonForce is raced in many clubs. There's also the DragonFlite 95 same basic boat just a little longer, very fast. Like any hobby after you get started you can get bigger, better and more expensive boats. I've just been into it a couple of years but a few of the other members travel around the country racing in other clubs. Here's a link to our Website, I manage it. This last weekend there was a model boat show in Woods Hole MA. If you go to the Photos page you'll see some pictures from there. The boats in the 3 pictures on the top row on the right are 6 1/2 feet long. The picture in the 3rd row, second from the left are all Solings, about the size of a DragonForce 65. That's the start of a race. Mines #32

https://sites.google.com/site/minutemanmodelyachtclub/