Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rite Spec Wing

Navigator
    Awesome! Thanks! I bought the ritespec rods and horns kit already, just working on a power package. Thinking about going with a big 2814,2000kv Cobra wing motor and their matching 60a esc. I already have most of the build supplies from other aircraft i've built. I've been in RC one way or the other, mostly mini quads for the last few years, but I am a Wing NOOB. Having trouble selecting servos. I don't want to spend $50 for a pair of ritespec servos, i'm thinking more like $15 each. Gotta be metal gear, probably digital. Any suggestions?
    I appreciate your input!

Navigator
    Well...Can't fit my 2814/7 on the stock (metal) motor mount that came with the kit. The bolt pattern is different. Not sure what to put on it now, Probably just put on the turnigy thats now approved by FPVWRA. Any motor suggestions, or mounting solutions?

Instructor Pilot
    That motor is huge and its not going to fit, KV is also to low for any performance on 3s and a 6/4 prop.
    The mount is sizes for 22 size motors.
    You will never even get close to hitting CG with that 2814 1700 big motor if you could put it on.
    Am I off on the motor size you are trying to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by MONOAMORE View Post
    Well...Can't fit my 2814/7 on the stock (metal) motor mount that came with the kit. The bolt pattern is different. Not sure what to put on it now, Probably just put on the turnigy thats now approved by FPVWRA. Any motor suggestions, or mounting solutions?

Navigator
    Yeah, It is a big motor, I thought it would have a standard 16/19 mounting pattern being that its made for wings. It is a CP2814-2200kv Cobra that would be a killer on 4S, if you can believe their test numbers. I've got a 2208-2200kv Cobra on there now, it just seems small for a heavy wing.
    Chris, Is the CG the same for the 40" crossover as the spec wing? 6.75"?

Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    That motor is huge and its not going to fit, KV is also to low for any performance on 3s and a 6/4 prop.
    The mount is sizes for 22 size motors.
    You will never even get close to hitting CG with that 2814 1700 big motor if you could put it on.
    Am I off on the motor size you are trying to fit?

I run the spec motor on all my spec wings and it's more than adequate. Can run on 3 or 4s. I run a 7x4 prop on 3s (not in races obviously) and it's pretty slick and runs forever.

Scott

Navigator
    So...I put the Cobra Spec 2210-2200 motor on the wing and it balances a touch nose heavy on the CG. I'm having a heck of a time trimming it in.
    -First of all it won't loop. It just wants to roll over at the apex of the loop.
    -Secondly, even though I mechanically centered the elevons with a bit of reflex, and the servos are centered, it pulls to the right like crazy. I trimmed to the left MAX and it still pulls a bit. We did some speed runs yesterday with a radar gun (91mph) and It's worse at high throttle to the point where I can even roll left at WOT.
    Is this a torque roll?
    Can the aluminum motor mount be bent causing these vector problems?
    Are the servos somehow at fault?
    Please take a few minutes to look at this video that highlights some of these issues.
    Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MONOAMORE View Post
    So...I put the Cobra Spec 2210-2200 motor on the wing and it balances a touch nose heavy on the CG. I'm having a heck of a time trimming it in.
    -First of all it won't loop. It just wants to roll over at the apex of the loop.
    -Secondly, even though I mechanically centered the elevons with a bit of reflex, and the servos are centered, it pulls to the right like crazy. I trimmed to the left MAX and it still pulls a bit. We did some speed runs yesterday with a radar gun (91mph) and It's worse at high throttle to the point where I can even roll left at WOT.
    Is this a torque roll?
    Can the aluminum motor mount be bent causing these vector problems?
    Are the servos somehow at fault?
    Please take a few minutes to look at this video that highlights some of these issues.
    Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

There are a few reason that this could be happening. The 2 most common are that either one servo is moving more than the other - this could be due to a slight differentiation of the placement of the control rod, differences in cheap servos etc. The second is a wing that has a twist in it from being off slightly in the build process. You can trim it to fly level, but once you change angle of attack and elevon position, the problem reappears. Is it perfectly straight? The easiest way to tell is to put it on a flat surface facing away from you and note the differences in the distance of the trailing edge along the wing on both sides - are they perfectly symmetrical?

Navigator
    What Hoss said ^^^

Navigator
    Yes, sorry for the late reply. I measured the aircraft 6 ways from Sunday and didn't really notice any warp or twists in the airframe. I came up with one wing half longer than the other. From the root chord tip to the tip of the leading edge of right wing its 23", the left half is 22.5". I also noticed that the motor mount was askew from mounting it a bit off center and tilted up/down and left/right. I've since remounted it carefully and accurately. I did a test flight today and it was better, but not great. It looped OK, still a little roll at the end, but just wanted to roll right (in the direction the motor is spinning CW) I was able to trim to the left so it flew relatively straight, but the (torque?) roll was worse at high throttle. Another indicator was it behaved a little better with a less aggressive prop on it, going from an APC 6x5.5 to an APC 6x4 had helped to lessen the aircraft's desire to roll right. I have since noticed that the elevons are not exactly flush with the trailing edges. One is a bit higher than the trailing edge on the left side of the left wing and the other is a bit higher on the right side of the right wing. I used Chris's tape hinge technique and it's a really tight hinge, but i think a little crooked.
    I've only scratch built a few other wings and also have modified and beat up on some PNP aircraft. They are definitely not exactly true or straight by any means but still fly better than the Ritewing, so I figured these slight imperfections in the Ritewing build would be non-issues.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5362.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	78662

Navigator
    I'd stick to the 6x4 prop and redo the elevons; the elevons sticking up does effect the performance. I'd try adjusting the motor to have right thrust and double check you control throws are linear as well.