VideoAerialSystems

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VAS Microwave Folded Dipole 2.4GHz

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    You can use any antenna with the adapter.
    But will the adapter throw off the 84mm cable length you're supposed to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Elpresidirrrte View Post
    But will the adapter throw off the 84mm cable length you're supposed to use?
    Think about how much cable is above the 84mm. The 84mm is perfect if you're attaching an antenna (element) directly to the sma, but you're not - and the antennas available all have different length leads on them. The signal doesn't know that it's going through an sma connector, so that 84mm becomes 84mm + the length of coax out to your element above the sma. Using an adapter will result in a small but negligible amount of loss. The best antenna that I've found yet, and Alex tipped me off on this, is the bluebeam cloverleaf - aka: the airscrew. It vastly outperforms any other antenna I have bought or made and I have a tough time getting signal warnings on it, where the others I can get by ducking behind my house in some cases. I use an adapter with it. The others I don't - they already are rpsma. On 2.4 and with the distances we're working with (short range), you won't notice the adapter.

Navigator
    SO when he says the best is the Mad Mushoom and Hoss says the Bluebeam Cloverleaf aka Airscrew are you talking about the 2.4 or the 5.8 version? Sorry for the dumb question.

2.4 - we're talking about tx antennas. At the distances we're talking about, if you have a mad mushroom already, it wouldn't make sense to get a clover / airscrew to use - you're not going to notice the difference within half a mile. I'm just saying in general, the airscrew is a transmitting antenna and the mushroom is a receiving antenna. You can swap them and run them the other way and be fine, but generally speaking, more lobes is to capture more signal - fewer lobes is to distribute more signal out of each lobe to get the greatest coverage. Again, at the distances we're flying on 2.4, you won't notice a difference.

Someone should do a really through range test with every antenna known to man. Maybe I'll dedicate a day to doing it sometime soon. Put the phantom up about 400ft to catch the above shot distance view and fly out until rssi gets to 40. Swap antennas and do it again.

Navigator
    Thanks Hoss. Im just really trying to get rid of the Telemetry lost Telemetry recovered messages every 30 seconds. Did the antenna mod from Stone Blue and am afraid I messed up my board. My SWR is terrible using any antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by dcs3473 View Post
    Thanks Hoss. Im just really trying to get rid of the Telemetry lost Telemetry recovered messages every 30 seconds. Did the antenna mod from Stone Blue and am afraid I messed up my board. My SWR is terrible using any antenna.
    Have you powered it, even for a second, with no antenna? I can't see it getting messed up without that happening, unless you're terrible at soldering and really slopped the job up. The pads are wide out in the open and super simple to get connected - but, if you're inexperienced with soldering, it's totally possible that you messed up somehow (there's nothing wrong with that - we all sucked at some point). Just so you know, the taranis "swr" reading is not that at all - even in the manual they state that it's just some random power measurement that they came up with and has nothing to actually​ do with standing wave ratio. They state anything below 54 is ok... What is yours?

If you messed the module up, it's easy enough to swap out. If you're not confident in doing so, there's shops that will do it for you... Good luck brother.

I bought the antenna from stone blue airlines and did the mod. I know the the SWR readings really aren't accurate but I've noticed a 17 swr reading with the new folded dipole on my radio. Switched out and tried different antennas (2dbi, 5dbi, cloverleaf) all getting 0-1 SWR readings from my radio. Weird. Should I be concerned? I had to slightly snip the center element (it was a bit long).
    KF5WQL

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymonkeymark View Post
    I bought the antenna from stone blue airlines and did the mod. I know the the SWR readings really aren't accurate but I've noticed a 17 swr reading with the new folded dipole on my radio. Switched out and tried different antennas (2dbi, 5dbi, cloverleaf) all getting 0-1 SWR readings from my radio. Weird. Should I be concerned? I had to slightly snip the center element (it was a bit long).
    They say under 54 and you shouldn't worry. I'd simply throw an audible reading of rssi on a switch and fly straight out flipping it over and over for each antenna to see if there's a problem. If you don't know how to do that, rotor riot has some really good taranis setup tutorials that walk you through all kinds of telemetry setup steps on their YouTube channel, including that specifically.

Thanks Hoss. I have that programmed on several models and have been randomly checking ranges while I fly. Seems ok. I will throw another interesting tidbit in, I ordered a second Dipole antenna to have in case I need another. It just came in so I put it on and rechecked SWR and it shows 0-1. So one VAS folding dipole reads 16-17, the other 0-1. No worries as the internal SWR of the radio I know are way off. My hunch is they are both fine.
    KF5WQL

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymonkeymark View Post
    Thanks Hoss. I have that programmed on several models and have been randomly checking ranges while I fly. Seems ok. I will throw another interesting tidbit in, I ordered a second Dipole antenna to have in case I need another. It just came in so I put it on and rechecked SWR and it shows 0-1. So one VAS folding dipole reads 16-17, the other 0-1. No worries as the internal SWR of the radio I know are way off. My hunch is they are both fine.
    Yeah, I made my own dipoles, but I saw the vas ones when flying with another guy a couple weeks ago - my guess is that since they are made with braided steel and are bendable as a result (to make them durable), that the distance between the top and bottom portions of the element are different and giving a different reading. If you get a chance, use a toothpick or other thin piece of wood and push down to close the gap a little, or pull up to widen it, all while watching the reading. Does it change when doing that? Either that or the balun (the little bent piece on the side of the antenna lead) is either slightly too long or slightly too short. My guess is you won't see a difference in performance regardless though...