VideoAerialSystems

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VAS Microwave Folded Dipole 2.4GHz

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

Admittedly, the best antenna for your radio is a Mad Mushroom. The folded dipole is convenient since it doesn't damage easily, but I find I get another 25% more range on a MM. The folded dipole gets me 3X the stock antenna, though which is more than what I need.

-Alex
    Hey Alex,im thinking of upgrading my stock taranis antenna and was thinking of going with 5db whip mod that every body has done until i saw your folded dipole... Then i read in this thread that the Mad Mushroom is better than the folded dipole.
    How much better than the 5db whipand the folded dipole is the MM??
    Thanks in advance Dave
    Last edited by Sh4wzy; 21st March 2017 at 02:01 PM.

Navigator
    Bump!

He said he gets 3x the distance on the omni then he does on the stock antenna. The 5dbi antennas give you about 1.5 - 2 in some instances over the stock antenna. The 5dbi antennas are like 6 bucks. The folded dipole you can get for about double that which is still very cheap, or make one. The mushroom is more expensive, but not expensive in its own right. You can always test...

If you go with a mad mushroom or cloverleaf (you'll actually probably get better performance from a standard cloverleaf on the tx side), think carefully about connection polarizations before flicking that power switch on your radio or you'll be replacing the tx module.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4wzy View Post
    Hey Alex,im thinking of upgrading my stock taranis antenna and was thinking of going with 5db whip mod that every body has done until i saw your folded dipole... Then i read in this thread that the Mad Mushroom is better than the folded dipole.
    Thanks in advance Dave
    I am not a fan of the 5dbi whip. The construction makes it highly susceptible to ground effect... which is what is killing your signal in the first place. I cannot say how much better anything is than the 5dbi whip as I haven't flown with it.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

What is the gain of the dipole?
    Im trying to decide whether to go with a 5/8dbi whip or the dipole. My needs are for range more so than radiation pattern however I do like to fly low.
    Would you say the ground effect on the whip would affect it enough to reduce its range more than the dipole?

Joshua Bardwell just made a post about people's Taranis internal modules stopping to work months after doing the mod. Im wondering if the reason could be static that is being transferred down through the RP-SMA pin that is exposed?

Also, I'd like to try the mad mushroom antenna, but already have an RP-SMA cable installed. I'm wondering if I can just use an RP-SMA/SMA adapter and use the mad mushroom antenna. I'm not too worried about a bit of signal loss, I just don't want to screw up my internal module like in Joshua's video. I don't want to mess around with the internal module anymore as I've already accidentally pulled off a single pad on one board!

I use an rpsma / sma adapter and an airscrew. Works well with no issues for me. On the tx side, you don't need anything more than 3 lobes. Probably actually get a little more range with 3 lobes rather than 5. More lobes is great for receiving - that's why the bluebeam sets come with an airscrew and a mushroom. But for tx, a cloverleaf or airscrew are fine.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh4wzy View Post
    Thanks in advance Dave
    The 5dbi whip is terrible for quads. It is the exact opposite of what you want. It will not perform any better than stock (unless you are very lucky). The folded dipole will beat it by good margin. It is actually 7dbi when sitting on the ground. Here's the radiation plot:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alex With modded Spektrum.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	834.3 KB 
ID:	76729
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    The 5dbi whip is terrible for quads. It is the exact opposite of what you want. It will not perform any better than stock (unless you are very lucky). The folded dipole will beat it by good margin. It is actually 7dbi when sitting on the ground. Here's the radiation plot:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alex With modded Spektrum.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	834.3 KB 
ID:	76729
    Can you use the folded dipole with RP-SMA to SMA adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Elpresidirrrte View Post
    Can you use the folded dipole with RP-SMA to SMA adapter?
    You can use any antenna with the adapter.