VideoAerialSystems

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: VAS Microwave Folded Dipole 2.4GHz

I noticed that Alex has two of the folded dipoles in his video, one from the typical spot and another coming from a switch location (it looked like). I'm wondering if he has them both wired up to the same signal/ground, or how this setup is working? Very curious and thought I'd ask, thank you!

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam-g1 View Post
    I noticed that Alex has two of the folded dipoles in his video, one from the typical spot and another coming from a switch location (it looked like). I'm wondering if he has them both wired up to the same signal/ground, or how this setup is working? Very curious and thought I'd ask, thank you!
    Spectrum uses 2 emitters. Each one needs its own antenna.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Spectrum uses 2 emitters. Each one needs its own antenna.

-Alex
    I had no idea! That is a pretty nice feature I wish the taranis had. I have to say, I purchased a VAS folded dipole and the antenna is quite nice!

Navigator
    I have noticed that my battery voltage has an effect on the rssi. I am not sure if this normal. I have done the mod with the VAS folded dipole and I got the same results as someone else. RAS (opentx 2.2) of 33. I put a rubber ducky 2 dbi back on and it was 0-1. I havent really done a range test yet.

What batteries do you guys use in the taranis? I have the hking 1500 mah Life battery at 1c rating. I am thinking of getting a lipo instead.

Navigator
    I have the folded dipole

According to IBCRAZY's video on the folded dipole, the radiation pattern is much better when standing than sitting. Could one use a 3 foot (or longer) extension to elevate the folded dipole to standing height without incurring too much signal loss from the extension? Or maybe even connect to a ground station and elevate the antenna even higher?

I prefer flying while sitting, because it's a little disorienting maintaining my balance while having an out of body FPV experience

I've just recently purchased and installed the VAS 2.4 ghz folded dipole kit to my Taranis X9D+, but I haven't tested it out yet. The ability to now easily mount other antennae or cable runs to my Taranis has me wondering if I could mount control and video signal antennae on a mast outside, and run cables into my house and fly from the temperature controlled and bug free comfort at my computer desk. Or would a lot of extra cable be too much strain on the internal RF module or pick up too much interference?

Navigator
    I built one of these, and although it didn't give me any more range than stock on a QX7, it didn't do any worse. I found a dipole on the rx end did more for extending range than the folded dipole on the tx. Does the QX have a better antenna than the original Taranis?
    My home built antennas typically do very well, so I am hoping that my folded dipole was built semi correctly. Thoughts?

Hello everyone,
    As I built myself a custom TX (Tarango on Thingiverse if you want to check it out, thanks to Dropoff510) I cant use the stock antenna of my QX7 anymore. I wanted to build a folded dipole but couldnt find any "good enough" tutorials. Are there any tutorials out there? Ive seen a few IBCrazy tutorials on another forum but not one for the folded dipole.
    Also not sure if the files are shared but I can also build a Diamond antenna as I am able to make PCBs, so that one will work for me too