VideoAerialSystems

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VAS Microwave Folded Dipole 2.4GHz

Navigator

VAS Microwave Folded Dipole 2.4GHz

I was wondering if anyone has purchased one these from Stone Blue yet. How much does it improve the signal on 2.4Ghz.

I made a few of them - it's what I use exclusively now. I haven't done much in the way of range testing against other antennas, but that sounds like a fun idea... I have a bunch of antennas to put to the test, so in the next few days I'll get out and give it a run. I've had no issues with mine, though.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    I made a few of them - it's what I use exclusively now. I haven't done much in the way of range testing against other antennas, but that sounds like a fun idea... I have a bunch of antennas to put to the test, so in the next few days I'll get out and give it a run. I've had no issues with mine, though.
    Yeah but this is for 2.4 not 433 like you pretty much fly exclusively right. I am trying to avoid having to buy a LRS system right now but i still want to have good signal out to a mile a so.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Here's what I found out:

The SWR function on the Taranis is flat-out wrong. We were showing a 32 on the Taranis when the attached antenna had an SWR of 1.3.However, once the Taranis heated up a bit, the SWR went town to 7. We also put a cheapo dipole on it with an SWR of 1.8 and it showed a SWR of 1.

Admittedly, the best antenna for your radio is a Mad Mushroom. The folded dipole is convenient since it doesn't damage easily, but I find I get another 25% more range on a MM. The folded dipole gets me 3X the stock antenna, though which is more than what I need.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Alex does the antenna improve penetration of the signal. I have been thinking of moving from 5.8 to 1.3 video to get a little better penetration does your 2.4 antenna help with that also or only improve the range.

Quote Originally Posted by maktek View Post
    Yeah but this is for 2.4 not 433 like you pretty much fly exclusively right. I am trying to avoid having to buy a LRS system right now but i still want to have good signal out to a mile a so.
    No - 2.4 is what I built it for. For mini quads.

Navigator
    No - 2.4 is what I built it for. For mini quads.

Sorry to assume Hoss. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Here's what I found out:

The SWR function on the Taranis is flat-out wrong. We were showing a 32 on the Taranis when the attached antenna had an SWR of 1.3.However, once the Taranis heated up a bit, the SWR went town to 7. We also put a cheapo dipole on it with an SWR of 1.8 and it showed a SWR of 1.

Admittedly, the best antenna for your radio is a Mad Mushroom. The folded dipole is convenient since it doesn't damage easily, but I find I get another 25% more range on a MM. The folded dipole gets me 3X the stock antenna, though which is more than what I need.

-Alex
    Wow - I didn't know that. I'll pick up a mad mushroom if that's the case. I imagine there is still loss being that the receiving antennas are linear, correct? But it's still better?

The swr function on the taranis is merely some figure of output power. In the manual it states that it's not actually a measure of swr, and that anything under 50 is good - it's in no way an actual measure of swr. They shouldn't have labeled it that in the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by maktek View Post
    Sorry to assume Hoss. Thanks for the info.
    No worries. I do pretty much exclusively fly 433, but can't quite get away from the tiny whoop, my hack attempt at being a good mini quad pilot and my little scratch builds

Navigator
    No worries. I do pretty much exclusively fly 433, but can't quite get away from the tiny whoop, my hack attempt at being a good mini quad pilot and my little scratch builds
    Sounds like my mini quad story.