FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TBS Crossfire Link Loss Resulting in Catastrophic Crash.....twice

Navigator

TBS Crossfire Link Loss Resulting in Catastrophic Crash.....twice

My first FPV build was a TBS Caipirinha with the crossfire long range system (sold as a complete package from TBS). Flew pretty good for the first few flights but one afternoon, at an altitude of about 400' and within 1/4 mile or so, I lost RC link and the plane ended up lawn darting, resulting in the need to build a new platform. So, fast forward a month or so, and I finished building a 1680 skywalker with all the same FPV equipment that the Caipirinha had on it. Had a few flights under its belt, when again, about 1/4 mile out at an altitude of 400' or so, I lost RC link and the plane, just like before, nose dived into the ground, completely destroying the airframe and a few other things. At this point, im either going to give up on FPV all together or change long range systems. Anyone else have an experience like I did with the Crossfire? Or perhaps, anyone know what could have been going wrong? Anyone want to buy my crossfire system??haha

Co-Pilot
    Could be so many things. Its hard to diagnose. Maybe post a video of your flight if you have it. Describe all your gear, etc.

Navigator
    I don't have a video of the flight as I was not recording it at the time. Both times this happened, I never lost video, just RC control completely. Here are some specs on the set-up:

-Taranis XD9-plus transmitter
    -TBS Crossfire 8 ch diversity receiver
    -TBS GPS antenna (was not installed for the first crash, only the second one)
    -TBS Core PNP Pro
    -2.4ghz 800mw video transmitter
    -Power ran thru TBS PNP Pro 100A Current Sensor

On the first crash, everything but the GPS was installed on a "Ready to Fly" Caipirinha, so I find it hard to believe that anything was set up incorrectly as I directly followed the build instructions included.
    Last edited by popa122; 11th March 2017 at 07:59 AM.

What make/model is the 2.4GHz 800mW transmitter?
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

Navigator
    Its made by TBS, but its pretty much just a Lawmate.

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/produ...g4_unify_800mW

Navigator
    popa122 - I have had a similar issue on my Vendetta within 300 feet on all occasions (4 nasty crashes over past few weeks). I initially thought it was improper antenna placement on my quad. Trappy has me check a connection to my Colibri FC (which was secure), but again yesterday had a major crash with the quad DISARMING mid flight. Now I suspect the Crossfire system. I will next change my Crossfire Micro RX and try again. Seems to be very few with this issue... if I confirm Crossfire is the issue, it goes in the trash. It will have consumed my $500 quad and that is plenty of testing on my part.. I will move on. It is strange..fingers crossed this gremlin in not the crossfire.

Any further rootcause from your side after your crashes?

Navigator
    Only thing I can think of is that it was damaged in a crash at some point since it was working great when it was first installed before having all of these issues. One thing I know I didn't do and something you should probably do as well is set the fail safe correctly. If you are flying a quad, I'm sure you could set the failsafe to basically just have it hover in place until connection could be restored. Flying a fixed wing makes it a bit more difficult (probably set it at 50% throttle and all control surfaces neutral) but without an autopilot system, it would probably still crash unless connection was restored quickly. I think when I build another plane ill probably just buy another receiver to see if that was the problem all along and make sure the fail safe is set correctly. Just sucks having no confidence in your electronics.

Navigator
    What does your RF environment look like? Dynamic power turned on?

Navigator

Problem diagnosed??

Quote Originally Posted by popa122 View Post
    My first FPV build was a TBS Caipirinha with the crossfire long range system (sold as a complete package from TBS). Flew pretty good for the first few flights but one afternoon, at an altitude of about 400' and within 1/4 mile or so, I lost RC link and the plane ended up lawn darting, resulting in the need to build a new platform. So, fast forward a month or so, and I finished building a 1680 skywalker with all the same FPV equipment that the Caipirinha had on it. Had a few flights under its belt, when again, about 1/4 mile out at an altitude of 400' or so, I lost RC link and the plane, just like before, nose dived into the ground, completely destroying the airframe and a few other things. At this point, im either going to give up on FPV all together or change long range systems. Anyone else have an experience like I did with the Crossfire? Or perhaps, anyone know what could have been going wrong? Anyone want to buy my crossfire system??haha

Hi there,
    I saw your post after doing a search for a similar problem. I think that the Crossfire Tx has a tendency to overheat. I had the exact same issue as you had. What saved my Caipirinha was the ET MicroVector with RTH. When the RTH kicked in I started checking for possible problems. I noticed that the Tx module was quite hot. I shut it off for a few mins to cool down while the Caipi circled overhead in RTH mode. I then switched on, re-established link and landed. To verify this, I did a 'bench test' tonight: simply left the radio/Tx switched on as well as my Caipi but kept both on the ground. I 'shielded' the Caipi to mimick distance so that the Tx would output 500 mW. After about 10 mins I went from good link to no link. After letting it cool off I could reestablish a link. I am wondering how much ambient air temp has to play. Its in the 90's here now. this never happened in colder weather.
    Cheers

Navigator
    I had this happen before on my Vendetta to. Was doing a full power turn and was locked out. OSD showed the Tx power jump to 500Mw, and the RSSI still sat at 0%. however it was only a couple of seconds. 40 flights or so later I have never had the problem happen to such an extent. The challenge with where i was flying is the RF environment is calm until the local toe planes takeoff across the highway near the field. Most of the other problems ive had with the crossfire system came down to how it was hooked up to my spektrum DX9, and the connector to the FC getting loosened in a nasty crash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast