FPVLAB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: X-UAV Clouds 1880mm FPV plane - full review / build log / mods

OK guys, finally did an endurance test on the Clouds yesterday, and was quite surprised by the results. At the current settings I have it on it flew for 70 mins drawing only 5.8A out of the 6.6A pack I am using, which roughly puts the flight average at around 5A. Distance covered was only 47.7km in that time, but there was some headwind, and most of the time it was flying against it... so that does account for that a bit, although I am perfectly happy with the slower speed, which would be really welcome when I am up in the clouds!

OK, and here is one more record with the amazing L9R receiver. This thing just knows no bounds! And I am ever amazed of the flight characteristics of the Clouds!

OK... I just couldn't resist the unlimited 360 degree rotation and the overall improvements to the gimbal! I guess the Clouds will be getting a new gimbal soon, and the old one will go to the Nimbus. The Pro will be easier to mount further forward on the Clouds as it has a smaller footprint, while the Nimbus will not allow a forward mounted gimbal... so the regular version will be perfect there.

Here is my latest flight doing some cloud chasing, and it was a perfect day for that with some really low hanging clouds... sadly the recording camera's battery gave up on me mid flight... so only half the flight is in HD, and since this is a new camera I am testing... it is not the best picture quality yet! I hope you will enjoy the flight anyway, even with the DVR footage it is still very nice!

On a side note, I had a little issue with the Mini3D gimbal mounted on the X-UAV Clouds after a rough landing, and decided to share how I fixed it, so possibly this would save you time and money if you have the same problem as me, and you will not have to ship it back to China for repairs.

OK guys, I tested the L9R on my Skywalker EVE-2000 as well... and I am pretty darn happy with this receiver... amazing work from FrSky!

Quote Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
    OK guys, I tested the L9R on my Skywalker EVE-2000 as well... and I am pretty darn happy with this receiver... amazing work from FrSky!

You must have an impressively low noise floor where you are. Absolute max range I got with my L9R was 6.6km with the ET Vector constantly cutting in and out with RTH. Although my club field is only around 3 miles away from a major residential area so noise floor will be high. I do however suspect, that it could be overcome with altitude. Had to jump onto the 433 DragonLink bandwagon to push limits, but ultimately just shows how impressive the L9R is.

Quote Originally Posted by evensis View Post
    You must have an impressively low noise floor where you are. Absolute max range I got with my L9R was 6.6km with the ET Vector constantly cutting in and out with RTH. Although my club field is only around 3 miles away from a major residential area so noise floor will be high. I do however suspect, that it could be overcome with altitude. Had to jump onto the 433 DragonLink bandwagon to push limits, but ultimately just shows how impressive the L9R is.
    Well... actually I've gotten amazing range out of this flying from within the city not 150 meters from A LOT of residential multi-storey buildings. I was able to get to 13kms out and 2.8kms high without issues.

Very interesting, there were notable points at 6km where I knew if I flew near I would lose sync with the receiver. My immediate thoughts are the altitudes that you fly at are much less noisy - mostly as home routers null points are directly above, whereas lower altitudes you can fly into the donut radiation pattern that the dipoles on routers radiate.

I keep my flights between 500-1000 feet (150-300 meters), few light aircraft that fly around where we are, so like to keep it safe. I'm quite interested to see what performance you would receive at lower altitudes and pushing range. If indeed you get the same range, I may well revisit my L9R (currently sat on a quad), fiddle with the antenna presentation and see what ranges I can push. As far as I am aware, you are currently the record holder on that receiver. Seen a few videos out to 9km on it but nowhere near the ranges you are getting.

The problem around here is finding a large enough piece of land without a hill or a mountain 3-4kms away from you that can potentially block direct view on a longer range flight if flying close to the ground! I will have to see if I can locate such an area where I can fly low for longer distances in order to test the range of the L9R, but I am pretty sure on a flat surface 300 meters should give plenty of range on this receiver!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast