www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible receivers for the Vortex 285

Navigator

Possible receivers for the Vortex 285

I've scanned the previous posts and the more I read the more I'm confused. I'm pretty experienced at quads. started with them about 4 years ago. I decided to take the leap to the Vortex 285 and see that Horizon Hobby recommends a 7 channel PMM receiver for it. I see others using Lemons, Orange and other receivers. Horizon Hobby tells me that the receiver used in the Convergence Plane will work. Its only $25 bucks. Its the DSMX Quad Race Serial Receiver with Diversity SPM4648. I'm using a Gen 2 Spektrum DX9.
    Second part of the question....it looks like a Spektrum satellite from a Spektrum receiver will work as a stand alone? First bind it byway of a multichannel Spektrum receiver and then unplug it and use it plugged into the control board of the Vortex 285. Am I correct or way off in left field?

Navigator
    This is a bit complicated... You can use the DSMX Quad Racing receiver, Or a satellite as a standalone. HOWEVER... You will need the Vortex ppm to spektrum sat conversion cable for both. The DSMX Quad Racing receiver is a full range receiver, so you will likely get more range out of it. The satellite receiver needs a secondary receiver (or a cc3d) to bind for the first time (the DSMX Quad Racing receiver does not need this because it has auto bind) , then connect it to your vortex. Plus, it is not a full range receiver. The AR7700 is totally different .(so far) This is the only genuine Spektrum PPM receiver you can buy (Orange and Lemon RX make a few ppm receivers, but I have had terrible luck with them). You do not need a separate cable to connect it, as you can use the one straight out of the vortex. And it comes with a satellite receiver, for diversity, and extra range. The big downside is, its large and bulky, and more at risk to be damaged in a crash (depending on how you mount it). With my dx9, and 285, I curently use the AR7700. Ive used the satellite receiver, with the cable before... Untill the cable decided to kill its self, and take my satellite with it.
    Last edited by Silverarrow66; 2nd March 2017 at 10:52 AM.

Navigator
    Thanks for the feedback. I found the Spektrum Race Ready quad receiver that plugs into the Vortex. I bound it and it went well. But when I go to the goggles for setup, it only gives me the first screen: "center all sticks......." I do so but it won't advance to the next screen. I've tried resetting by holding in the little button in the rear just in the corner of the leds for 8 seconds or more and that doesn't change anything. Stuck on first screen. At my age, electronics have become more and more baffling. I guess i should stick to Syma producs that just work out of the box. Another frustration is the failure of Immergence to respond to and email.

The 285 won't work with that receiver unless you use the Spektrum CPPM adapter cable, the 285 ony accepts CPPM natively, which the Spektrum Rx does not output. Here's more info on hooking up a Spektrum Rx to the GPS port:

http://www.immersionrc.com/vortex-sp...direct-hookup/

And here's the Spektrum CPPM adapter cable:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...le-irlvxppmspk

So these are the two options you have available, a third one would be to use a Orange R620 CPPM receiver, which outputs CPPM and is compatible with DSM/DSMX.
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

Navigator
    Thanks to all who replied to my query. I finally got my act together with the above post from sassen. Horizon Hobby Tech support told me that the DSMX Quad Race Serial Receiver SPM4648 would work as a plug in receiver on the Vortex 285. Turns out, it will but as Sassen indicated you have to also use the conversion cable with it. $9.98. Once I used the cable with the receiver, it did indeed let me go to the on screen setup menu and go thru the steps of setup. Another word of caution. Please make sure you remove the props during the setup...not an idle warning. Once I spooled this little bugger up it must have an expo of -100 on the throttle. This thing is scarry fast. I may not be up for it unless I change out the props to 2" instead of 5 inch <g>
    Again thank to everyone try to help this 76 year old wantabe quad racer.

Navigator
    That's nice, you are never to old to learn something new

Navigator
    Yes, but the satellite does help with recieving the signal if the main rx antennas are blocked by carbon fiber or battery or something.
    One other option is to use one of the Lemon reveivers, they are better than the Orange ones.
    Like this one:
    http://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?ro...product_id=138
    Small and fairly cheap with long antennas that can be positioned away from the carbon fiber.

Possible receivers for the Vortex 285

Such worry! You do not fly 285 that far away especially if using for what it is intended. Stick receiver on stern and hang antenna off the back. Does not have to be straight out! Because I was ready was using EZUHF for other things I bought the nano receiver and am not looking back.

PS: I am only 67!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JCLs; 3rd March 2017 at 11:50 PM.

Navigator
    Scole just put them both on the back panel one on top one underneath

Begginer in Fpv But Rc Hobbiest Since Birth😉

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverarrow66 View Post
    This is a bit complicated... You can use the DSMX Quad Racing receiver, Or a satellite as a standalone. HOWEVER... You will need the Vortex ppm to spektrum sat conversion cable for both. The DSMX Quad Racing receiver is a full range receiver, so you will likely get more range out of it. The satellite receiver needs a secondary receiver (or a cc3d) to bind for the first time (the DSMX Quad Racing receiver does not need this because it has auto bind) , then connect it to your vortex. Plus, it is not a full range receiver. The AR7700 is totally different .(so far) This is the only genuine Spektrum PPM receiver you can buy (Orange and Lemon RX make a few ppm receivers, but I have had terrible luck with them). You do not need a separate cable to connect it, as you can use the one straight out of the vortex. And it comes with a satellite receiver, for diversity, and extra range. The big downside is, its large and bulky, and more at risk to be damaged in a crash (depending on how you mount it). With my dx9, and 285, I curently use the AR7700. Ive used the satellite receiver, with the cable before... Untill the cable decided to kill its self, and take my satellite with it.

Is there a certain firmware and or betaflight that the 285 needs to have in it to work with a Spektrum transmitter? I have a DX6 with an ar7700 and I cannot get passed the "Center all sticks" screen. I also have tried the Spektrum CPPM cable plugged into the satellite receiver with no luck. Both receivers are bound to the transmitter. I am using the Immersion RC chrome app to flash it with the firmware that is on Immersion RC website for the 285.