Thread: TBS Crossfire on Taranis x9 Power Supply Question

TBS Crossfire on Taranis x9 Power Supply Question

Have the Crossfire in the JR module of my Taranis which is powered with a fully charged, tested, 3s. My Crossfire indicates that I am only getting enough power for 500mw. If I remove the Crossfire from the Taranis and power it with a 3s it shows that I have up to 2w. Im not willing to fry my Cossfire and plug in an external 3s while its plugged into my Taranis but want to set the TX at max. I am assuming the Crossfire is drawing power off of the 6 volt pin here and not the BAT pin which I tested at 12.4 volts so if I want to plug in an external battery in addition should or could I run that with a 2s to keep the overall voltage under 15? Just nervous about too many volts as I very much love my new Crossfire.
    Tinker, Tinker, Tinker, Cook to pay for Tinkering Some More...

If you check the manual you will find that the 500mw limit is normal for radio powered mode. For more power simply plug in batt with xt30 to tx.

Thanks RonSII, I did read that but there was no clear indication. I am simply concerned about putting too much power in the Crossfire. Ill start with a 2s.

Page three of the manual states the TX can take up to 12.6 volts... I've had mine a bit over that but be careful they list the limits for a reason.

Exactly. This is my concern. The Taranis is powered with a 3s so 12.6 volts, which is what I would assume is what would be the power to the Crossfire through the JR module bay. But the Crossfire is telling me I don't have enough power going to it to reach 2w. My assumption is its getting 6 volts through the second pin from the top and not the third pin down which I tested at 12.4 volts. Adding an external pack when its already powered has one of two outcomes, parallel or series. So, yes. Careful is an understatement.

The manual states if you power through the xt30 connector you can reach >500mw.... if you power through the other inputs you get =<500mw. This is how the XF is designed so it will not pull too much power through the radio and fry it... many radios including the taranis can only supply so much power out the back without damage to the internals.

Thanks RonSII, Iv'e read the manual over many times, which, has actually changed a few times since it's release. I previously had an EZUHF on the back of my Taranis which was fed power from third pin down, but yes, you are correct about power draw out of the Taranis. Ill be at my shop later this afternoon to tinker with this. Thank you for your guidance!

Navigator
    If the crossfire is powered thru the 6V pin on a JR, will plugging a 3 cell lipo externally fry the crossfire, or is there a circuit onboard to switch the power from the jr to the lipo?