FPVLAB

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ritewing Mini Drak Build and Info

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Mini drak rips!

Big drak... RIP

Good thing I have another.
    Sorry about the Drak. We all crash sometimes and it hurts. Looking forward to the videos.

Thanks. Something gave on me - thinking the nut on the ball joint came off. Gotta say that I'm not a fan of these ball joint / solder type control arms. Last night when changing the servo, I went to pull the clevis off the servo and it came off the rod.. I'm using silver bearing solder and a very hot, top of the line soldering station - and I know how to solder. Can't beat a straight mechanical connection with no points of failure in my book. Even if the servo didn't act up last night, the clevis would've come off in flight on the mini.

The big drak went in like it did with the train hit. Except this time I noticed while flying in manual that it kept getting more and more out of trim and I was fighting it with more trim. I figured I had some bad hangar rash or something and just knocked something out of alignment. Then it let go and I lost control.

I'll post some pics of the carnage in a little bit. It was bad.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    7x7 seems like the money prop for speed. An extra 20+ mph and still not over amperage. Just need to manage throttle as it'll overheat if you're not careful.
    6.5x6.5 prop also looks like a good alternative to 7x6 or 7x7 paired with 2814/1700 motor. You shouldn't be losing any speed but the current consumption is quite a lot less, just 35A WOT static. I think I'll give it a try as then I can also use really light (9.5 grams) 35A/50A xrotor blheli ESCs I already have a bunch.

Sorry for the wreck and I hope you find the exact cause. Good thing you didn't come down in a bad place or at long range.

O crap!!, sorry to see the big Drak in a mess. So was it the solder joint fail on the clevis?

Glad the MD maiden went well, looking forward to hearing your review. I just placed my order tonight with Chris for both the MD and the HC44
    Rob
    Ritewings, lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Rctintin View Post
    O crap!!, sorry to see the big Drak in a mess. So was it the solder joint fail on the clevis?

Glad the MD maiden went well, looking forward to hearing your review. I just placed my order tonight with Chris for both the MD and the HC44
    Those are 2 very solid buys. Probably 2 of the best flying planes you'll ever build.

It wasn't the clevis / solder joint on this one, but rather the nut on the ball joint on the other side. I'm sure they work flawlessly for others, but for my attention span and life right now (3 very young kids and sporadic, very quick opportunities to fly), having things that require checking and maintenance just don't work for me right now. Yes, I used thread lock on the nut. A simple locking dubro threaded connector and all thread rod are my route from now on - you set them and never have to think about them again.

Anyway, the mini is like a ****ing dart. It's so slick and sleek through the air is ridiculous. More coming soon.

Haha, that's great to hear!!

I saw the vids on this thread of the 44, and then with the great price Chris has it at, it was a no brainer.

Just need to get a bunch or gear together for them lol!! I ordered the SS MD power plant, but I'll look at what others are using on the 44, and get that at a later date.
    Rob
    Ritewings, lots of them

Videos please... I am getting spastic:-)

Rctt
    The bobbins on your avatar's gopros need to be a little more "supportive"?
    KJ6BFN

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast