FPVLAB

Thread: Quiet FPV plane

Quiet FPV plane

Hello guys

Have been flying FPV for around two years now, and love it.
    I am flying on a abandoned military airfield, with plenty of airspace available.

We have a lot of wild animals like deers and other animals that I would like to look at from above, but the sound of a pusher prop scares the animals away.
    Any suggestions for a FPV plane with front/wing mountet prop, with a wingspan not greater than 140 cm.
    The reason for the 140 wingspan, is that it will fit in my car without having to take the wings off ( I know I am lazy)

/Torben

I presume any airplane with a large low RPM prop would fit the bill, tractor being better than pusher noise-wise. Sailplanes tend to be built this way because people want to gain a bunch of altitude all at once but don't need high speed.

I have a Multiplex Heron that is very quiet and I would say that of the 20 something airframes I have tried I like the Heron the best.

People say that the "zebra effect" (the blurry lines you see when looking through the prop) is unbearable but I've grown quite used to it. Here's a video of what zebra effect looks like.

Should you find the zebra effect too much you can mount your camera out on the wing to avoid looking through the prop entirely. Here's a video of what that looks like.

Hello
    I am not a fan of the zebra effect, I like the clean view
    I Have a Bixler 3, ZOHD Orbit, ZOHD Nano talon, and a Sky Eye.

I like the Orbit the most, because I get 30 min on a 2200mha, but it makes to much noise.

The Nano Goblin is practically silent compared to bigger planes and can easily get an hour flight.
    Kevin (Not Tim)

Navigator
    Fit a lower KV motor and a bigger prop to the bixler and it will be much more silent. A 1400 or less kv motor and a 7 or 8 inch prop will do the trick
    Impulse Alien, TBS Disco, Tek Sumo, S800, VAS Wraith, Skysurfer

Back in the day before lions were popular I built this http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....on-a-Scout-Bee Awesome plane, it sounded like one of those box window fans when it flew by. It wasn’t the fastest thing around but it was way quieter than my Z2. Take the same concept, put it on a $30 popwing or better yet, get yourself a twin tracker. Much more quiet
    Last edited by Blizzard1287; 11th June 2018 at 09:14 PM.
    Some fly for attitude, others for altitude

Quote Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
    The Nano Goblin is practically silent compared to bigger planes and can easily get an hour flight.
    I second this recommendation. Paired with a runcan split mini and a 3S cylindrical liion (3000 mah), it's a fantastic low noise platform. Cruise is approx 30 km/h at 1.5A and is amazingly quiet. Will do 100 km/h at around 10A if you want to get somewhere in reasonable time.

~Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nbias View Post
    I second this recommendation. Paired with a runcan split mini and a 3S cylindrical liion (3000 mah), it's a fantastic low noise platform. Cruise is approx 30 km/h at 1.5A and is amazingly quiet. Will do 100 km/h at around 10A if you want to get somewhere in reasonable time.

~Paul
    I will have a look at the Nano Goblin, but I dont't like the runcam split, but that's a minor ting