FPVLAB

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Ritewing Mini Drak Build and Info

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
    I've set them up - and they're nothing I'd actively encourage anyone to replicate (new or seasoned). The equipment loadout for setup and operation is absurd.
    Flight controller
    GPS
    Power-module
    MinimOSD

That's it..
    The only real difference is the power-module.

...Apart from the gps, on the iNav side, all integrated into a single F3/F4 AIO board configurable from a single configurator...I'm trying to make this part of the process less complex so that the average tinkerer can replicate the process with nothing more than investment of 20-30 minutes of their time and $36 of their money.
    "Level grinding in FPV is the worst" - ziggy3935
    "You smell different when you're awake." - WillM
    "stick your gear in me!". - slowjett

NE FPV^ Pilot MAP
    YouTube Channel

I get the appeal of the cost savings, and it's painful buying vector after vector, that's for sure, but it's tough to beat all that you get.

I had a really terrible pants-shitting moment over the weekend - a couple weeks ago I swapped ESC's on the mini to go up to 100 from 70A (had a thermal shutdown after sitting in the sun a bit). Something went wrong and I got no response from the servos right after launch. It went in pretty damn hard - everything came out, controller and all, but the bird is 100% (10mil layer of lam on the under side of the nose saved the day). Anyway, I decided to throw it back together quickly an and take it out. I did some testing to ensure that everything was going to work after launch and threw it up. Launch went well and it went out a couple hundred feet and then boom - it pinned it to about 85% throttle and I had no control. Oh, did I mention that as soon as I got up I spotted about 40 hot air balloons? Yeah... So here I am with a screaming runaway plane with a bunch of soft targets all around me. These are both the dangers of and the reason that we use flight controllers. No matter what I did I got no response. What it did next was exactly what it should have - turn and come back, screaming over my head. By that time I had the throttle dumped and boom, as soon as it got above me it cut it off and I was able to steer it in for a fast landing. Apparently something went wrong with my receiver / control antenna in the crash and rssi was at about 30 when I got it on the ground. The throttle was probably because it was still talking off and not yet up to minimum airspeed, so it was trying to get there. But holy shit was that one of the scariest 20 seconds of my life, and I've been an infantryman in combat. I say that only because, well, because it's true, and because it's funny how quickly things can go wrong and change everything. There's something terrifying about not being in control and to go up and realize that there are other "aircraft" in the area, and that you have no control over yours is a living nightmare. The controller did me well... It did what it was supposed to do, which was worth a thousand times more than I paid for it, not only in an unscathed mini drak, but in nothing grossly more dramatic happening. In reality, these balloons weren't like right over top of me - I couldn't see them from where I was standing, and it probably would've taken me a good 2 or 3 minutes to get to one at a good pace, but I've had a runaway plane before and know that if failsafe is set to go to half throttle or something like that, they can cover some distance before eventually going in unstabilized.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but that damn near gave me a mental breakdown at the time... Saved by vector...

I'm going to write in to the guys on the podcast and issue my gripe. I'll bet if a few of us do that we'll hear about it on the next one. I get it, but doing that on a podcast that tons of people listen to is uncalled for and damaging beyond what I think they were conscious of at the time. But you need to be careful when you're in the public eye and people consider what you say to be coming from experience. It's just not cool, and I think they should know about it. It wasn't really Steele if I remember correctly - mostly that Ruben dude. Anyway, happy flying

Link to the podcast please. I have been searching for an hour, and I am getting grumpy;-)

http://teamfailsafe.libsyn.com

Episode 6 - latest one.

Navigator
    I'll sum it up for you guys: whoever maidens with a flight controller active doesn't know what he's doing. Literally. So I don't know who those expert pilots were, but would have expected at least one of them would ask for the FC to be deactivated. If you're scared of launching for a maiden, use a buddy or a bungee, both work better than a not tuned and untested FC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    http://teamfailsafe.libsyn.com

Episode 6 - latest one.
    It's nothing crazy bad, and they didn't go on a rant, but it's shade nonetheless, and shade on an undeserving target. The mini drak is a ****ing specimen. It's expensive, yes, but that's because it's tooled and molded and then shipped from Europe. It's not a blank hot cut core loosely shipped from 3 states away... It's a well thought out and tested performance aircraft, and the fact that it's molded puts it in the premium category, along with only a few birds - one of them being it's big brother. It stuck me as Ruben being "offended" that it is pricey and needs so much extra to get it to fly, but that's just not true. It's pricey, but most of the work is already done for you, and it comes finished (no need to straighten, sand, cut in everything, paint, laminate, like most other builds out there (though you can do some of that stuff if you wish)) - you just need to drop your gear in and fly it essentially, and you certainly don't need a controller.
    Last edited by Hoss; 1st August 2017 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashsalot View Post
    I'll sum it up for you guys: whoever maidens with a flight controller active doesn't know what he's doing. Literally. So I don't know who those expert pilots were, but would have expected at least one of them would ask for the FC to be deactivated. If you're scared of launching for a maiden, use a buddy or a bungee, both work better than a not tuned and untested FC.
    That's the stitch. It was deactivated as it was in passthrough mode. What we didn't account for was how the controller interpreted trims which ended up being the root cause of all the problems.

Good news is now we know

NE FPV^ Pilot MAP
    YouTube Channel

@Hoss & @Håvard

Just curious - where did you guys end up for default reflex and total throws?

NE FPV^ Pilot MAP
    YouTube Channel

Reflex is 1 to 2mm of space between a straight edge and the hinge line when running a ruler or other straight tool from front to back off the elevon up near the root.

As far as throws, I can't remember where I landed and don't have it with me to check.

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast