Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Moulded Ritewing Mini Drak Build & Info

Looking forward to seeing how you mount the camera & fpv cam. Im still struggling to work out if i could mount gopro (Possibly a session) & fpvcam to one. I know the runcam 2 will work but im not really a fan of it and wouldn't use it for an fpv feed either.

Was there a suggestion you could also mount a gopro in the belly for downwards facing shots? As well as one on the front? Or would that screw the CoG too much?

Cheers and keep up the good work
    Last edited by Hally1983; 25th January 2017 at 10:03 AM.
    Follow My Builds: plus.google.com/u/0/+HallyFPV/posts
    Team-Legit FOHDY 40" - Cobra 2217/1180kv, 40a HK Esc, TBS Core Pro & GPS, TBS Crossfire
    Mini Talon - Sunnysky 2216 /1250kv, 40a Xrotor Esc, TBS Core Pro, TBS Crossfire
    Lumenier QAV-R 5" - Kiss FC, Kiss 24aRE Esc (Dshot600), Lumenier 2206-2350kv Motors, Lumenier 600mw VTX, TBS Crossfire
    Lumenier QAV210 - TBS Colibri FC, TBS FPVision (OSD/VTX), ZTW 30a Blheli-S (Multishot), Emax RS2205-S 2300kv, TBS Crossfire

Quote Originally Posted by Hally1983 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how you mount the camera & fpv cam. Im still struggling to work out if i could mount gopro (Possibly a session) & fpvcam to one. I know the runcam 2 will work but im not really a fan of it and wouldn't use it for an fpv feed either.

Was there a suggestion you could also mount a gopro in the belly for downwards facing shots? As well as one on the front? Or would that screw the CoG too much?

Cheers and keep up the good work
    I'll let Dale tell you about his camera mounting, as that's who you asked, but just wanted to touch on the downward facing cams - the Drak (and the mini drak) are both truly mapping platforms that cross over into FPV very well. You can easily fit a GoPro or one of the newer (and much smaller) mapping cameras in the belly. There's actually a spot strictly for it, as that's what it was designed around. So no, not only will you not be throwing off cg, but you'd actually be using the plane for its intended purpose.

If anyone is dying to throw a GoPro on something (nose), it's me. I get yelled at a lot for it, but you really just can't beat it. For the mini though, if you're willing to sacrifice the really nice flight characteristics, you can certainly do it. I could mount one very easily on the nose of this thing I'm going to hold back though and build it to fly - I've got much bigger (better able to handle wind and get very steady shots) planes that all carry GoPro's, so this baby will stay pure and I'll just have to settle for the runcam 2 and a separate flight cam.

Navigator
    I've got a question for Dale, Hoss, or Chris. I know there is the potential for mounting a downward facing camera, which is great for doing mapping type stuff. What I was wondering is whether or not any of you think it would be possible to have a sidefacing camera? My thought was to have one facing out the side with a bit of a downward angle (~10*) and perpendicular to the flight path. My thinking is that it would be a good way to set it up if a SAR team was to use one. My thought is that the pilot would be able to orbit an area and have the display from the side cam going to a display for a second person to view. Just a thought I had earlier today. I just wasn't sure if it would even be possible with the spars going nose to tail.

For sure - you could cut a port in the bottom at the correct angle and have the cam in the actual fuse, embedded deep and at the correct angle wherever you'd like. The fuse spars are on the outside of the main bay, so they shouldn't get in the way. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but I wouldn't see that as a problem. Maybe a cheesy quick sketch would help conceptualize it for everyone...

Navigator
    I can get a quick sketch I made earlier. I'll put it over in the mini drak thread though; don't want to take away from Dale's thread anymore than I may already have done.

Navigator
    What degree should the fpv camera be mounted

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Claburn View Post
    What degree should the fpv camera be mounted
    Its a matter of preference. For aerobatic flying the cameras should be tilted just a tad downwards. Straight ahead is always wrong btw.. For cruising it should be more significantly downwards. Sorry, but we are not talking in numbers here. Take a look at post 41 in this thread. Its an intermediate down tilt in my opinion, and something I would aim for:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....and-Info/page5
    Last edited by Håvard Støre; 11th February 2017 at 08:38 PM.

Navigator
    Thanks

Instructor Pilot
    Get your builds on guys!

Navigator
    Thanks Chris you did an amazing job designing these planes keep up the great work . I just got a built hc44 Saturday and received the mini draks yesterday can't wait to get them in the air. Is there a certain prop that you recommend that works on both planes? I was thinking that a 6x4 or 6x6 cam speed prop may work.