FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona FPV meet

Arizona FPV meet

Is anyone interested in an FPV meet in Arizona? I am NOT thinking about FPV quadcopter racing, but pilots flying planes or big copters only.
    My suggestions would be a date in March 2017 and in the Phoenix, AZ vicinity.

I might be game for a road trip down to Phoenix. I would be sporting a full sized Talon, my 3 kilowatt mini-talon, or a soaring glider if someone wanted to do some thermalling. I would have to dust off my old 2.4 ghz gear and try to get that going again if other pilots are wanting to use 1.3 video.

Navigator
    I would be interested. I fly 1258 and 5.8 stuff.

We should pick a time and a place, I suggest somewhere lower in altitude. If you folks down in the valley were coming up to us and needed something camping friendly I would say Mormon Lake, Williams, Happy Jack, Strawberry, one of those forest sites with a huge meadow but we are talking about snow/mud, biting 37 degree wind at those sites in the middle of March; chilly weather for warm blooded pansies like myself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weather 2016.PNG 
Views:	94 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	75859

Desert sites like Lake Pleasant, Roosevelt, Bartlett come to my mind (something where we can dunk and subsequently destroy hundreds of dollars worth of equipment) but I have never flown those sites so I don't know what's good. If we were just going to do a quick little meet&greet day trip and not camp or anything sunset point is fun. There's a nice place to take off and land if you can avoid the razor wire o' death at 34.196087, -112.131459 but you do have to hike a little to get there. A non-hike location that comes to mind is the salt mine road in Camp Verde. There's a nice little spot off the main road at 34.524962, -111.865165 where you climb to Squaw peak and dive down.
    Last edited by parajared; 26th January 2017 at 12:58 PM.

Until now we are only three. I want to wait if more people want to join us. I am available on weekdays and weekends. A date around mid of March sounds good.

I'm up to meet. I'm in Chandler so I vote for somewhere in the valley. I'll probably just be bringing 5.8 stuff. I have another buddy that would join us and he's on 1.2.

When the FPVLab site went down for maintenance, some of the posts in this thread went missing----weird.

--How did the Event go?

I was in Flagstaff for a week (my dad was in the hospital up there) I was eyeballing the terrain imagining some FPV runs. Im jealous of you guys with so much flyable space and elevation. At some point I'll haul my gear out to AZ for some flying, Not this year though.

Parajared. I see you sold an EZUHF today on the other site. Are you switching to a different system?

I had fun (kinda), it was just PapaEcho, myself and our spotter; I flew some Tek Sumo proximity and got a little lost (lots of the desert that looks exactly the same mile to mile) for a few minutes but found my way back, took Papa for a FPV thermalling session in the Radian (it's nice how two pilots can easily fit in the diver's seat of one of these ), and got a few flights in on the Talon. Papaecho brought a large, beautiful carbon fiber quadcopter with him and had a speed controller quit mid flight. Looks repairable but since this was the only bird he brought he was resigned to being a passenger. After our thermalling session I took him for a ride in the Talon and murdered us both (virtually). I believe the stock bank angle settings of ET Vector are what did it; I had the plane in RTH mode directly after launch so I could put my goggles on and the plane just piled in!

EzUHF works great for me for everything but proximity. Some people say theirs works without issue but mine gets a bit glitchy (little signal hiccups) whenever I attempt to nap-of-the-earth it. Dragonlink V2 and stock antennas offer a significant performance improvement and no break in signal on anything except the most extreme conditions. I haven't seen any real difference between Ezuhf and DL v2 when the airplane is flown a proper height above the ground.

I have tried Rangelink, OrangeRx 433, Arkbird 433, EzUHF and Dragonlink and Dragonlink is the best LRS system I have tried. My Dragonlink rx and my 1.3 vtx were destroyed in the crash and it may have killed my passion for long range too, it's like a part of me died when I lost that plane. I have been achieving decent enough results with Prodrone moxon 2.4 antenna for FRsky control and pepperbox for 5.8 video. I am highly considering just selling off all my long range gear, sticking to simple 2.4/5.8 and keeping these planes close-ish to the launch point.
    Last edited by parajared; 9th May 2017 at 02:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast