ReadyMadeRC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.3GHz 400mW VS 1.3 Ghz 800mW Transmiters

Navigator

1.3GHz 400mW VS 1.3 Ghz 800mW Transmiters

Hello all,
    I am buying my first FPV gear and I am debating to buy a Vtx 400mW or 800mW, I would like to hear the Pros and Cons of each one, I am planning to mount it on my Bixler 2, using a RUNCAM eagle, as OSD Camera.
    also I would like to know what capacity of battery (1.8mAh, 2.2mAh, etc.) will be the most appropriated to provide power to my FPV, once it is mounted on my plane.
    I will be using on my ground station the 900MHz-1.3Ghz Receiver w/1258

I have notice that RMRC don't have i stock the Vtx 800mW US version, could you please tell me if this Vtx on the link below is fully compatible with my Ground station video receiver?
    http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-tran...ansmitter.html

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks...!!!

Co-Pilot
    Yes it is the same and will work the same.400mw will get you many miles with good antennas and proper instalation.Just be aware that any of these are going to require using uhf for control.If you use standard 2.4 control you will have a great picture watching your plane fly away and crash when you lose rc link at a very short range.All of these are goign to need a ham license to operate legally.Also if you can wait a week or two you can save $20 and get them here for the same vtx
    http://www.surveilzone.com/1.2g-1.3g...vtx-fpv-ws1186
    http://www.surveilzone.com/1.2ghz-1....-tx-fpv-ws1146
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    The 800mW is really only 620-640mW

The 400 tests at 480mW.

640/480 = 1.3

Thus, a 15% increase in range with the 800mW.

Go with the 400. it is a better unit.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Sparkyincali, thank so much for your advice, I am new in the hobby and I did know I can't use 1.3 Ghz with 2.4 control, I will definitely get dragon link V3. System.

Co-Pilot
    I love my Dragonlink v3. I went out just over 4 miles at about 300' altitude today on 25mw and still had control.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    You don't need LRS for flying inside of 1/2 mile. All you need is a filter on your video transmitter. You can use a low pass filter or a notch filter. They're a lot cheaper than an LRS.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    You don't need LRS for flying inside of 1/2 mile. All you need is a filter on your video transmitter. You can use a low pass filter or a notch filter. They're a lot cheaper than an LRS.

-Alex
    Alex is just an LRS hater! That being said, stick to 400MW. No reason to go 800mw as it will be unused performance. I seem to run 400mw on most of my stuff as that get's me out plenty far with a good set of antennas. Also if you don't need the telemetry stuff the V2 dragonlink works just as well as the v3.

Navigator

-Alex
    Alex,
    As I mentioned before I am new on the hobby and I am looking to buy a decent FPV equipment, my plan is to have 1.3Ghz relayed on 5.8Ghz for my goggles
    I am clear now that a Vtx 400mW fits better on my configuration
    I would appreciate if you can provide me some information regarding the kind of Video filter I will need, I don't want issues between 1.3 and 2.4 (Taranis Radio) and also what kind of antennas 1.3Ghz.
    For now I am not planning to flight miles away, but I believe always is great if you have a GOOD equipment, that works on every configuration.
    I will be using a bixler 2, until I get Ranger EX, or a Sky Hunter

your help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...!!

Navigator

-Alex
    Alex,
    As I mentioned before I am new on the hobby and I am looking to buy a decent FPV equipment, my plan is to have 1.3Ghz relayed on 5.8Ghz for my goggles
    I am clear now that a Vtx 400mW fits better on my configuration
    I would appreciate if you can provide me some information regarding the kind of Video filter I will need, I don't want issues between 1.3 and 2.4 (Taranis Radio) and also what kind of antennas 1.3Ghz.
    For now I am not planning to flight miles away, but I believe always is great if you have a GOOD equipment, that works on every configuration.
    I will be using a bixler 2, until I get Ranger EX, or a Sky Hunter

your help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...!!

We flew 7 miles on a 400, I flew 13 miles on a 800. not to say those are the max of either, but I have also had a 400 run out of steam at 2 miles in the middle of the desert. its always a crap shoot even with good gear. This is why you start small, build skill and confidence in your gear. A setup that couldnt go 1.5 miles on a TBS discovery quad in the city could go 10 miles in the desert on a fixed wing. You really never know how things are going to perform.