Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ritewing Hardcore44 Racewing Build & Info

Quote Originally Posted by gobigdale View Post
    HS82 MG may be a little overkill however they fit the servo hole perfectly and I want to make sure that I have enough servo to move the elevon when pulling out of a 10MPH dive
    Honestly, those things are like 18g servo's, correct? I wouldn't say they're too much overkill. Could you put a 12g (or even smaller I've seen) servo in a 40 something inch wing, sure... but with that motor and the potential speeds, I wouldn't look at them as too much and wouldn't trust a smaller servo to be able to reliably handle high stress situations. I'm considering what I put in all my other wings - BMS-390DMH servo's. They may be a little overkill in terms of strength... But they've been ultra reliable for me. The HiTec's are a little cheaper, and they're also super reliable. Hmmm... decisions decisions... It looks like the HiTec's are a little faster. Not by too much, but they are. The Blue Birds are a good deal stronger though. I need to order today though as I have this week off and want to get as much built as I can while I have a little time.

HS-82:
    Speed (4.8V/6.0V): 0.12 / 0.10 sec @ 60 deg
    Torque oz./in. (4.8V/6.0V): 39 / 47, Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V): 2.8 / 3.4
    Size in Inches: 1.17 x 0.47 x 1.16, Size in Millimeters: 29.72 x 11.94 x 29.46,
    Weight ounces: 0.66, Weight grams: 18.71

BMS-390DMH:
    Speed @ 4.8V: 0.14sec / 60 deg at no load
    Speed @ 6.0V: 0.11sec / 60 deg at no load
    Torque @ 4.8V: 4.6 kg/cm , 64 oz/in
    Torque @ 6.0V: 5.4 kg/cm , 75 oz/in
    Dimensions: 29 x 13 x 30 mm / 1.14 x 0.51 x 1.18 inch
    Weight: 22.5 grams / 0.79 oz.

Where did you do all that sanding? I imagine from the little bit of spot finishing work that I've done that it makes a tremendous mess of fine white particles that stick to everything. Did you do it outside? Wear a mask? I'm contemplating it, but it would be a first - all the epp wings I've ever built I've never sanded. I use good 5 mil laminate, so they're not too bumpy underneath (plus the heat from the gun smooths it out a bit), but I imagine yours is like glass after sanding it down. It looks good - and it's certainly intriguing. It probably makes it much easier to get nice lines and details if you want to go that way with painting too. I've tried to do stripes before on unfinished epp and it bleeds into the pits and ends up looking crappy. Probably much easier and with a better outcome after sanding. Lots of stuff to think about...

Thanks for putting this together. I love detailed build logs. You've seen some of mine and I love getting granular - it really helps others who are looking for advice. So, thanks man.

Navigator
    Guess I'm going to have to fork out 40 on some decent servos for this one then!

I think I will try and give mine a bit of a sand but nothing super thorough as it will be by hand.

Have people tried adding solar film to a laminated wing? I have done it and it sticks very well. Could always laminate over the solar film for a really smooth finish?

Got to get hold of one of those cobra motors too- no where in the UK sells them!

I agree Hoss it's very nice of Dale to make the effort with such a detailed build log.

I ended up going with the hitecs. It was $40 opposed to $70 after shipping, and they're good servos. Probably won't make it here until the end of the week, but oh well - no good lhs's around anymore, so it is what it is. I wish I had a rmrc or getfpv type shop in my state. That would be awesome to select "local pickup" and get stuff same day whenever I wanted. Amazon is carrying more and more on prime from lots of sellers, so that helps. Got the servos from Amazon, though they didn't have them on prime.

Navigator
    Found the hi tec for 13 each so will use them too!

What spec are you planning Hoss? Autopilot? I like to fly with a GPS OSD as a minimum so may as well run an autopilot as a bonus!

Im thinking a 3000 4s would be good. I will fly with just a board cam but mae room for a HD cam to be stuck on top- it will ruin the aero but allow for hd footage if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by billy_boy_2010 View Post
    Found the hi tec for 13 each so will use them too!

What spec are you planning Hoss? Autopilot? I like to fly with a GPS OSD as a minimum so may as well run an autopilot as a bonus!

Im thinking a 3000 4s would be good. I will fly with just a board cam but mae room for a HD cam to be stuck on top- it will ruin the aero but allow for hd footage if needed.
    I'm probably going to embed a runcam in the 44 and GoPro in the 63. I'll probably not run any controller in the 44 and put the micro vector I just got in the 63. I've been looking at cheaper (cheaper than vector) flight controllers but am not sure what way to go if I do put one in the 44. I also have some decently light 4000 4s's that I'll probably run with it. If I wanted to go smaller than 4000, I'd have to buy all new batteries, which I'm not excited to do. I'll see what the weight turns out to be in the end and basically use whatever battery I need to balance it. If the 4000 does it, great, but if not, I'll get whatever does. I don't use dead weight, so I'll get whatever battery does it.

Co-Pilot
    Do you feel using double the laminate is worth the extra weight? Not that its a lot, but this thing should be built light I think

Instructor Pilot
    Please do not double lam on the 44, keep it as light as possible, flying weight with fpv gear is 38 to 40 oz, dont build a piggy 44. hitec 225 mg or nylon gear work great.
    The design is to be fast on lite drive train. It has crisp handling and super stable flight. Over build it and you will not get the effect of what it was designed for.
    Last edited by ritewing; 26th December 2016 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
    Do you feel using double the laminate is worth the extra weight? Not that its a lot, but this thing should be built light I think
    I wouldn't double cover with 5 mil - it'd be super stiff, but add more weight than you think. On all builds that I laminate, I do double up on some spots. On Chimeras for instance I use 10 mil on top of the 5 mil base layer around the motor mount to make the whole area like a rock. I also double up the 5 mil over the seams and leading edges if I think it's going to get into some bashing to add protection. I'd say (and I'm going to) add a second layer wherever I feel the plane is weakest. The center being mostly coroplast is probably a good area to stiffen up. You can do that with extra carbon / fiberglass rods and / or some strategically placed extra laminate.

You'd have an incredibly durable and stiff plane if you doubled up on the whole airframe, but it weighs more than you think. I used to double up the entire airframe but someone pointed out to me the weight gain a while back. I thought, and said "the stuff is super light - it weighs next to nothing", then I took a planes worth and weighed it... It adds up pretty well - way more than I thought. 8ft of 5 mil lam weighs close to half a pound.

But, I will say that the shape of this wing makes it a pretty small wing, so if you were careful about how you laid it and didn't wrap around with both layers, essentially adding 4 layers in some spots, you could probably do it with minimal weight gain - maybe a quarter pound. If you were to double wrap a drak or the like, you'd probably be looking at close to a pound of weight gain.

Instructor Pilot
    The plane is designed for 225 mg, this helps with CG and gives you robust and reliable servos.You can use smaller but you end up with fragile servo arms and less weight to help ballance

Quote Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
    I am at 38oz with an HD cam so I think it is ok. We will see once I get a flight on it. It came out incredibly durable and is the smoothest finish I have ever put on an EPP plane.

If you don't care about the looks, a single layer of lam should work just fine and save you about 1 oz of weight. Chris is getting some incredibly great looks this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk