www.immersionrc.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sudden range drop

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by martinkellner0 View Post
    Agreed, but I guess if you buy a system and get antenna with it you expect them to work. So did I, a few years ago, and was very surprised to find the range to be less than that of my FrSky system. Let's just say the difference between the stock antennas and decent ones are unexpectedly big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It isn't as black and white as you guys choose to portray it. I've been out to 30km+ with stock antennas, and so has Trappy for example, and I've seen quads fall out of the sky at 50m. It all depends on what the intended use is, on flying wings and other models where you can spread electronics out further the stock antennas work fine, on quads, where everything is crammed into a small space, not so much. So it all depends on intended use, and unfortunately we can't please everybody, if we include better antennas and the price is raised we get complaints about pricing, hence we opted to include a decent set that should work for most people, but you're welcome to upgrade to better antennas if needed.
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Also google for sander style dipole. You will see enough howto's on how to convert the standard antenna into a dipole with only a piece of wire.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    It isn't as black and white as you guys choose to portray it. I've been out to 30km+ with stock antennas, and so has Trappy for example, and I've seen quads fall out of the sky at 50m. It all depends on what the intended use is, on flying wings and other models where you can spread electronics out further the stock antennas work fine, on quads, where everything is crammed into a small space, not so much. So it all depends on intended use, and unfortunately we can't please everybody, if we include better antennas and the price is raised we get complaints about pricing, hence we opted to include a decent set that should work for most people, but you're welcome to upgrade to better antennas if needed.
    Well, of course it may vary how far you'll get on those stock antennas. If you have a high noise floor either because of sources on-board or RF pollution from outside, you will get less distance out of your system. That being said, there IS a big difference between the stock antennas and a good moxon/dipole combo. I just came back from a trip where I set a new personal distance record: 1.3 km. This is the plane that only got 5-6 km before. What made this possible was the realisation that my moxon was not working as intended and replacing it but also moving the whole Rx+antenna out onto the wing where it was further from the vtx and other electronics on-board.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmersionRC Support View Post
    Also google for sander style dipole. You will see enough howto's on how to convert the standard antenna into a dipole with only a piece of wire.

Navigator
    Well, of course it may vary how far you'll get on those stock antennas. If you have a high noise floor either because of sources on-board or RF pollution from outside, you will get less distance out of your system. That being said, there IS a big difference between the stock antennas and a good moxon/dipole combo. I just came back from a trip where I set a new personal distance record: 1.3 km. This is the plane that only got 5-6 km before. What made this possible was the realisation that my moxon was not working as intended and replacing it but also moving the whole Rx+antenna out onto the wing where it was further from the vtx and other electronics on-board.
    For me it is a bit of a problem to move RX on wingtip. I am using all 8 channels which I a lot of wires to put on the wing.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonz.liska View Post
    For me it is a bit of a problem to move RX on wingtip. I am using all 8 channels which I a lot of wires to put on the wing.

Why don't you use PPM? Then you just need one cable. I have that and then an extra cable directly to my pan servo.

Navigator
    Why don't you use PPM? Then you just need one cable. I have that and then an extra cable directly to my pan servo.
    I use only EZOSD, so I need to run wires RX to servos one by one :-(

Navigator
    https://youtu.be/RDGfIgOZkfg I have made some further research regarding my RSSI problem. Please have a look on video. Would appreciate any advice what you think. Thanks

First off. The noise is normal that is the uhf module that works on the speaker of the tx. Shielding of those cheap chinese radio's is bad. Second never power your module without antenna atached that will kill it fast.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmersionRC Support View Post
    First off. The noise is normal that is the uhf module that works on the speaker of the tx. Shielding of those cheap chinese radio's is bad. Second never power your module without antenna atached that will kill it fast.
    OK Thanks, any ideas on RSSI 255?