www.immersionrc.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden range drop

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCLs View Post
    Meter like on this link I sent before. http://www.getfpv.com/rf-power-meter...mersionrc.html I have one. Have checked all my transmitters. Is eye opening at times.

Is it worth one time going to a new location and just seeing if a difference? I would think laptop in field with the ImmersionRCTools might be useful. Run in one location then in field. Might give indication of local issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You may be right that I should buy it, it was just so expensive that I refrained at the time. Going to a new place is probably a good idea and also to bring the laptop to the field which I had in mind anyway. I already tried it at home and there is no obvious, big source of interference on the plane. If I take it to the field and see a huge spike in some frequency I may be able to set a more narrow frequency than the extreme hoping that I'm using now, one that isn't affected by RF noise.

The powermeter is a verry usefull piece of equipment to have in your toolbox. Also do the analyse on your flying spot and see what is going on. And pls post the analyses with everything on except your tx. That way we can see if there is something wrong with your setup.

Navigator
    Ok, so I brought my laptop to the field and did a couple of scans. However, after generating one image the immersionsrctools said it couldn't contact the rx. Each time this happened I had to restart tools. Anyway, this is what I got:
    At the field, only rx powered:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unpowered spectrum.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	75921

At the field, system fully powered (but tx off):

Name:	powered spectrum.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	867.1 KB 
ID:	75922
    At home, only rx powered:

Name:	at home.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	847.0 KB 
ID:	75923
    For the field analysis, I took care to create a RF free environment by putting cell phone in flight mode. There was no tx on at any time. When doing this at home, I also set cell phone in flight mode. I also powered off my wi-fi router.
    Now, can you guys tell me if there is anything wrong and if so, what? To my inexperienced eyes i looks lie there is a lot of noise but that there is less around 435 MHz. Would I benefit from setting a more narrow frequency band than the extreme hopping I'm currently using?

Navigator
    So, I just found out the radio tower a km or so away is actually a TV tower and it's broadcasting on UHF frequencies. One of those frequencies is 474 MHz, the others are higher. Am I correct to assume that this could disturb my EzUHF transmission? The strange thing is, I haven't had any problems with this until half a year ago or so although the tower was there all along.

Your scanns are verry bad, yes the radio tower could be the issue.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmersionRC Support View Post
    Your scanns are verry bad, yes the radio tower could be the issue.
    I tried to fly the plane in another location now (an estimated more than 5 Kms from that tower in a rural location) and the range was about the same as before, as indicated by LQ but RSSI seemed more stable. I guess the only things left to check now would be the tx antenna and the actual output from the module when it's sitting in my taranis. I see no reason why it shouldn't be up to par though.

Could it be beneficial to use a narrower band or is extreme hoping always best?

If your scans show the same in an other place also it is something from your plane that is causing the issue. Those scans you posted are really bad something is interfering badly with your system.

Navigator
    I guess I should try to scan in another place too but since the range issue is essentially the same in two different planes and also has changed over time without any changes done to the plane, I don't think it is a matter of on-board interference.

Glad support kicked in, but scans do look really bad. It is not at all unusual for a UHF TV station to have, say aging, issues with antenna system causing changes in frequencies transmitted, side lobes. Only way to actually see what is then happening is use of really expensive RF spectrum analyzer.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCLs View Post
    Glad support kicked in, but scans do look really bad. It is not at all unusual for a UHF TV station to have, say aging, issues with antenna system causing changes in frequencies transmitted, side lobes. Only way to actually see what is then happening is use of really expensive RF spectrum analyzer.

I was afraid you were going to say that. However, I'm a bit sceptical to the theory of gradual assuring as this kicked in quite suddenly. Seems more life they might have started transmitting on a new frequency. One thing I would really like to know is if I could get better results using a narrower band. I'm also a bit flustered by today's flight which showed range to be about the same in a completely different location several kilometers from that tower. Don't really understand what's going on here.