FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from a South Aussie

Regards Newt

Greetings from a South Aussie

Hi folks....good to drop in. I'm from South Australia, home of lots of redback spiders, brown snakes, hot weather and beautiful clear skies just begging for me to be fying in...usually.

I've been flying RC for erm....about 20 years, always flown nitro, always knocked up my own flying contraptions, was never into kits etc. FPV looks like a really exciting endeavour, one that makes me drool just thinking about it. I've been doing quite a bit of reading, have found all the info about antennas to be really interesting. My goal is to fly into outback bush areas and capture good quality HD video...and otherwise just have fun.

I purchased a low cost epo 5' glider today as I have never had electric before and figured electric would be best for fpv and something basic and easy to fly to start with. I might try high speed nitro down the track just for a blast. I have a Sony CCD camera on the way 600TVL, backlight control etc and a 900MHz 700mW video trans/receiver. See how I go...

Good to be on board....cheers
    Newt
    Adelaide, South Australia

Navigator
    Welcome on board Newt. Be good to see some of your vids down the track when you get it all up and running
    Flying Kiwi

Welcome to the Lab!! Tell your friends.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Regards Newt
    No wukkin furries, I'll tell the world!! Do you have any HD from NZ BigJim? What stage are you fpv'ing at? NZ would be a great place with all that wildnerness....be a bugga finding a lost model though,..LOL
    Newt

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by theNEWT View Post
    No wukkin furries, I'll tell the world!! Do you have any HD from NZ BigJim? What stage are you fpv'ing at? NZ would be a great place with all that wildnerness....be a bugga finding a lost model though,..LOL
    Ha you're not wrong. I flew my tricopter complete with gopro etc etc off into the bush never to be seen again.
    Even flew the area in a R22 trying to find it. It's a gonna. That's gotta teach me not to fly behind the patch.
    Spent months getting it all built up again but I'm back flying FPV again. Made some IBcrazy aerials. Getting some good weather and time to fly is hard. Went up north to a job this morning there's some great spots up there.
    Flying Kiwi

Regards Newt
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
    Ha you're not wrong. I flew my tricopter complete with gopro etc etc off into the bush never to be seen again.
    Even flew the area in a R22 trying to find it. It's a gonna. That's gotta teach me not to fly behind the patch.
    Spent months getting it all built up again but I'm back flying FPV again. Made some IBcrazy aerials. Getting some good weather and time to fly is hard. Went up north to a job this morning there's some great spots up there.
    Mate....sheesh, that sucks a big one! I think I'd be feeling a little ill for quite some time losing a tricopter with gopro. I wouldnt have known what 'flying behind the patch' meant a week ago. I was thinking a combo aerial setup with a moderate gain directional antenna and low gain omni-directional to cover landings etc. The info IBcrazy has posted on making your own aerials is gold IMO....very interesting stuff.

I used to take the sound electronics out of Christmas cards and mount them into my models with a little weight attached to the slide, so that when the model hit the ground the weight pulled the tab out and the Christmas tune would play. I found 2 models lost in thick bush this way.
    Newt

Navigator
    Mate....sheesh, that sucks a big one! I think I'd be feeling a little ill for quite some time losing a tricopter with gopro. I wouldnt have known what 'flying behind the patch' meant a week ago. I was thinking a combo aerial setup with a moderate gain directional antenna and low gain omni-directional to cover landings etc. The info IBcrazy has posted on making your own aerials is gold IMO....very interesting stuff.

I used to take the sound electronics out of Christmas cards and mount them into my models with a little weight attached to the slide, so that when the model hit the ground the weight pulled the tab out and the Christmas tune would play. I found 2 models lost in thick bush this way.
    I made a CL and SPW for my Iftron gear and they cured my video issues. They workbloody well.Theres a unit that weighs about 50 grams that you put a sim card in an ring it up and it txt you back it's coordinates. One of them is on the list. Also one of those HK alarms to fit to a spare channel that can start with a switch.
    Flying Kiwi

Regards Newt
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
    I made a CL and SPW for my Iftron gear and they cured my video issues. They workbloody well.Theres a unit that weighs about 50 grams that you put a sim card in an ring it up and it txt you back it's coordinates. One of them is on the list. Also one of those HK alarms to fit to a spare channel that can start with a switch.
    The dial up sounds like a good idea, the only pain would be having a SIM that needs to be charged. I used to import various GPS instruments that could be dialed up. I sold one to a bloke who lost a dog, he attached the GPS unit to one of his other dogs and followed them on Google Earth, unfortunately the lost dog was never retrieved. The Christmas card jingle only works if you have some rough idea where the model went down. I guess data logging with GPS OSD would be a good way to find a lost model as long as the flight is recorded.
    Newt

Navigator
    The dial up sounds like a good idea, the only pain would be having a SIM that needs to be charged. I used to import various GPS instruments that could be dialed up. I sold one to a bloke who lost a dog, he attached the GPS unit to one of his other dogs and followed them on Google Earth, unfortunately the lost dog was never retrieved. The Christmas card jingle only works if you have some rough idea where the model went down. I guess data logging with GPS OSD would be a good way to find a lost model as long as the flight is recorded.
    Yeah my OSD gives a trip log and displays coordinates so if it's still connected all good. If not then the recorded footage from the ground station should show where it is from the gps
    Flying Kiwi

Navigator
    [QUOTE=theNEWT;83840]Hi folks....good to drop in. I'm from South Australia, home of lots of redback spiders, brown snakes, hot weather and beautiful clear skies just begging for me to be fying in...usually.

Gday Newt We fly up the Barrossa during the week (the best part of being retired) just started with the FPV on the learning curve!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast