VideoAerialSystems

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: VAS Pegasus

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    So how did you ever make out with the pegasus? The one thing some folks miss is the canards have to run opposite of a standard elevator, down is nose up and up is nose down.

Hey bro yeah i've had a couple of flights on it and put it on the shelf after that. I'm aware of the function of the canards, the problem was that i first sat it up according to Alex's build video with no reflex at all and had to fly it with full down stick to be able to "stay" in air, eventually i slammed into the ground when i eased at the stick, i then sat it up the way you mentioned with 4mm downward reflex on canards but still was not quite satisfied with how it behaved. I then saw on another forum that Alex had wrote that you need a little reflex on the elevon's, so i asked him about that and he replied with "never use reflex on the elevons" but instead use 6mm down trim with LOT's of movement on the canards.
    I may have to re laminate the canards to be able to get all that motion because i have the lamination a bit tight for big movement downwards.
    How about you??

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by rcabuser View Post
    Hey bro yeah i've had a couple of flights on it and put it on the shelf after that. I'm aware of the function of the canards, the problem was that i first sat it up according to Alex's build video with no reflex at all and had to fly it with full down stick to be able to "stay" in air, eventually i slammed into the ground when i eased at the stick, i then sat it up the way you mentioned with 4mm downward reflex on canards but still was not quite satisfied with how it behaved. I then saw on another forum that Alex had wrote that you need a little reflex on the elevon's, so i asked him about that and he replied with "never use reflex on the elevons" but instead use 6mm down trim with LOT's of movement on the canards.
    I may have to re laminate the canards to be able to get all that motion because i have the lamination a bit tight for big movement downwards.
    How about you??

Mine flies great. It's odd how so many people have struggled with this airframe. You are not alone. Not sure what I did right? lol.

Navigator
    Good to hear, i can really understand why people are struggling when the instructions are a little vage. What canard reflex did you end up on? 4mm or 6mm. I'm also wondering about stiffening of the canard on the moving surfaces, have you done something like that?

Pilot
    Good to hear, i can really understand why people are struggling when the instructions are a little vage. What canard reflex did you end up on? 4mm or 6mm. I'm also wondering about stiffening of the canard on the moving surfaces, have you done something like that?
    I had updated my post. 4mm down reflex for my plane. And I raised one aileron about 2mm to counter prop torque. It's all in this thread. It's important to make the canard elevators rigid with lots of laminate. Also be sure the control horns are rigidly attached with plenty of glue. You want to make sure the elevators on the canard move evenly and not just bend at the horns. Throughout the entire range of motion. And you want to have a lot of throw in those elevators.

In fact if I were to build the plane again, I would cut the foam elevators off and attach attach balsa to the canard, like the ailerons are done. Rigid and lots of movement on the canards is the key. Otherwise you don't get enough elevator authority.

Navigator
    I had updated my post. 4mm down reflex for my plane. And I raised one aileron about 2mm to counter prop torque. It's all in this thread. It's important to make the canard elevators rigid with lots of laminate. Also be sure the control horns are rigidly attached with plenty of glue. You want to make sure the elevators on the canard move evenly and not just bend at the horns. Throughout the entire range of motion. And you want to have a lot of throw in those elevators.

In fact if I were to build the plane again, I would cut the foam elevators off and attach attach balsa to the canard, like the ailerons are done. Rigid and lots of movement on the canards is the key. Otherwise you don't get enough elevator authority.

Yeah would be much better if the control surfaces where made of balsa, think i have to take of the laminate and redo them to get the desired amount of throw. Do you use the original CG?

Pilot
    Yeah would be much better if the control surfaces where made of balsa, think i have to take of the laminate and redo them to get the desired amount of throw. Do you use the original CG?

Yes 14" back from the nose of the aircraft. It's way back there. Best to use a heavy motor. I have a (light) Cobra and it has plenty of power but no need to conserve weight in hindsight. You can get a heavy motor and make your life easier. Otherwise you have to move the Lipo well back into the center fuse. Well into the main wing.

Pilot
    If you look at my pictures in post #32 in this thread you can see how far back I have my 4sx4200 lipo. My CG for reference is about in the middle of the MFD autopilot (the black rectangular box on the top of the fuse). It's way back into the wing, the CG

Navigator
    If you look at my pictures in post #32 in this thread you can see how far back I have my 4sx4200 lipo. My CG for reference is about in the middle of the MFD autopilot (the black rectangular box on the top of the fuse). It's way back into the wing, the CG
    Yeah i also use the CG at 14", i use a little heavier motor than you do, i have the Cobra 2814 and Tattu 4S 3700, i think the key to total success of mine lays in the canard. How much throw do you manage to get in addition to the 4mm, is it possible to estimate? i really wanna fly this bird a lot when i get it all right, it's such a cool looking plane:-)

Pilot
    Yeah i also use the CG at 14", i use a little heavier motor than you do, i have the Cobra 2814 and Tattu 4S 3700, i think the key to total success of mine lays in the canard. How much throw do you manage to get in addition to the 4mm, is it possible to estimate? i really wanna fly this bird a lot when i get it all right, it's such a cool looking plane:-)
    Without measuring it the simple answer is I get as much as the foam geometry and servo horn allows. But really the key is the elevators of the canard need to be rigid and not bend throughout the deflection range. That will give you the most response. Again that involves plenty of laminate and a solid connection between the horn and the foam. Glued and screwed with back plate is best.

Navigator
    Without measuring it the simple answer is I get as much as the foam geometry and servo horn allows. But really the key is the elevators of the canard need to be rigid and not bend throughout the deflection range. That will give you the most response. Again that involves plenty of laminate and a solid connection between the horn and the foam. Glued and screwed with back plate is best.

Yeah ok, i can see that my canard surfaces are twisting a bit when i give full deflection, if i have enough balsa i'm gonna go for it. Thx for all feedback