VideoAerialSystems

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: VAS Pegasus

Ok finally got some more flying with the Pegasus. Pretty much dialed in the AP. It could use more tweaking to get it perfect but it works well in ALT, STB and RTH so certainly good enough to get by with. RTH is reliable now. Video is only working to 1km because I live in a forest. I think I'll try a dipole and yagi for video and see how that goes.

Anyway here is the video from today. I really love the Pegasus. Easy flyer.

Ps I did more work on the canards and improved the control surfaces flatness. The control horns were not rigidly attached well enough and as a result the surfaces weren't deflecting evenly but bending near the horns. That was why I needed so much deflection. Now I've got them to much smaller deflections for level flight. I will update those numbers in the previous post. Be sure your control horns are well glued to the canard elevators so they deflect evenly.

Last edited by billyd; 19th February 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    Ok finally got some more flying with the Pegasus. Pretty much dialed in the AP. It could use more tweaking to get it perfect but it works well in ALT, STB and RTH so certainly good enough to get by with. RTH is reliable now. Video is only working to 1km because I live in a forest. I think I'll try a dipole and yagi for video and see how that goes.

Anyway here is the video from today. I really love the Pegasus. Easy flyer.

Ps I did more work on the canards and improved the control surfaces flatness. The control horns were not rigidly attached well enough and as a result the surfaces weren't deflecting evenly but bending near the horns. That was why I needed so much deflection. Now I've got them to much smaller deflections for level flight. I will update those numbers in the previous post. Be sure your control horns are well glued to the canard elevators so they deflect evenly.

Oh man that looks sweet bro, i'm currently waiting for my pegasus to arrive what equipment are you using

Quote Originally Posted by rcabuser View Post
    Oh man that looks sweet bro, i'm currently waiting for my pegasus to arrive what equipment are you using
    Thanks

Here it is

Pegasus airframe
    Emax ES08MDII servos (x4)
    Y cable with servo reverser on canards (Horizon Hobby Expert brand) with pot to match canard deflection
    Cobra 2221/8 motor with 7x5 apc prop (I may be changing to 7x6 prop)
    4sx4200 lipo 35/70c
    50 amp esc
    Foxeer Arrow v3 camera
    MFD autopilot with current sensor, GPS, Airspeed sensor
    IRC raceband 5.8g 600mw tx
    TSLRS normal range rx with dipole antenna mod (to get near full range of the more expensive diversity rx)
    AUW 1.341 KG

Cool

Thanks

Here it is

Pegasus airframe
    Emax ES08MDII servos (x4)
    Y cable with servo reverser on canards (Horizon Hobby Expert brand) with pot to match canard deflection
    Cobra 2221/8 motor with 7x5 apc prop (I may be changing to 7x6 prop)
    4sx4200 lipo 35/70c
    50 amp esc
    Foxeer Arrow v3 camera
    MFD autopilot with current sensor, GPS, Airspeed sensor
    IRC raceband 5.8g 600mw tx
    TSLRS normal range rx with dipole antenna mod (to get near full range of the more expensive diversity rx)
    AUW 1.341 KG

Great, would be using a different motor and 1.3ghz video, and running Inav
    Did you manage to find any complete build videos? only one i can find is with Alex building it, but it seems to be missing the end of the build I've messaged him, but no reply.

Great, would be using a different motor and 1.3ghz video, and running Inav
    Did you manage to find any complete build videos? only one i can find is with Alex building it, but it seems to be missing the end of the build I've messaged him, but no reply.
    I don't know of any others. But if you have any questions about the build I can try to help. He doesn't go into FPV install as there is a million ways to do it. Basically it's lay out your stuff keeping an eye on the final CG and then cut foam as required to install it. I buried my tx into one side of the wing, and gps, rc receiver and it's antenna into the other side for separation and lateral balance. I posted a few pics of my build earlier in this thread if you want to see how I did it. I put my autopilot on the center fuse on top. I buried all the cabling I could into the foam, trying to keep airflow as smooth as possible. I laminated over all my cuts too.

I don't know of any others. But if you have any questions about the build I can try to help. He doesn't go into FPV install as there is a million ways to do it. Basically it's lay out your stuff keeping an eye on the final CG and then cut foam as required to install it. I buried my tx into one side of the wing, and gps, rc receiver and it's antenna into the other side for separation and lateral balance. I posted a few pics of my build earlier in this thread if you want to see how I did it. I put my autopilot on the center fuse on top. I buried all the cabling I could into the foam, trying to keep airflow as smooth as possible. I laminated over all my cuts too.

Great thx, i'm still waiting for mine to arrive, i'll contact you later then if i run into any issues

Hi!
    How long did you make your elevons? i taught of going for 11" long.

How did you manage to get the carbon spars to last the entire build?? i cannot

Hi!
    How long did you make your elevons? i taught of going for 11" long.
    How did you manage to get the carbon spars to last the entire build?? i cannot
    I was actually shorted a spar so I cannibalized another kit for it. Regarding the elevons I did 11"

You can buy 1/8" diameter white or black fiberglass rod online from McMaster-Carr for example.
    Last edited by billyd; 23rd June 2018 at 05:52 PM.

I was actually shorted a spar so I cannibalized another kit for it. Regarding the elevons I did 11"

You can buy 1/8" diameter white or black fiberglass rod online from McMaster-Carr for example.

Yeah ok, i contacted Alex about the spar issue and he is sending me another one