FPVLAB

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed-Wing | Proximity Flying

I agree with Carbon. If you read my original post, I intended this thread to be only for MOUNTAIN proximity flying, but a mod changed the title to just fixed wing proximity flying in general. The term is derived from base jumping wingsuit proximity flying, which is diving off a cliff and flying down a mountainside close to the ground. In my mind, FPV proximity flying is the same. With either fixed wing or quads there is plenty of fancy flying low to the ground and dodging obstacles in parks and flatland, but to me, that's freestyle, not proximity flying. True proximity flying requires mountains.

Sadly there are only a handful of guys on FPVLab doing true mountain proximity flying anymore. Mainly just me and a few other Colorado guys, several guys flying in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, and a few flyers in Norway, at least that I've seen.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Awesome! Glad to hear it. There's some great untapped potential for mountain proximity flying in the pacific northwest. I remember an awesome video a few years ago of some guys who flew Mount St. Helens. If I was out there, I'd be doing St. Helens, Rainier, and Mt. Hood for sure.
    ~Patrick M.

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    That was C5, PDXDave, and FPVFlyer! Really great video, still bummed they didn't invite me to watch :P

Mt. Hood is on the list for this winter if I can get my ZII up and flying, we will see.
    I did Mt. Hood a couple of times this summer/fall but I've never put together a video of it. Happy to let you know the parking/routes I found that worked well if you want to do it yourself, though! I've got the planning just about done for a spring trip that will get Rainier, St Helens, Hood, Bachelor, 3 Sisters, and Shasta all in a week to 10 days...if road conditions permit when I've got the time available. Adams would be an added bonus but access is tricky.
    Shut up and fly.

Instructor Pilot
    Hey guys I am revisiting the Zephyr in 1.9 epp and the Quadspar design around the Draks killer motor mount. If you want a sweet modified version of the Z1. I am doing a short run pf these. https://youtu.be/QtgsE5fUMLk

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    Is "FPV proxy flying" defined by a style, or like physical proximity to objects (moving and not). What is it that defines proxy flying for you?
    you guys should go camping with your wings sometime soon. Dont worry if its windy and the wings wiggle too much to put on youtube. the threat of death wobble when you crest a ridge is just part of the palm sweating fun of flying mountains.

Mountain flying is certainly an adrenaline rush! There's nothing quite like flying miles away above a high peak that if you crash, it would take a full day of hiking and scaling dangerous cliffs to even reach the plane. Some places would be so dangerous to reach that any crash would basically be non-recoverable. High stakes flying at its best!
    ~Patrick M.

Fixed-Wing | Proximity Flying

I use the Chimera and it's decent but still shakes and bounces a lot in turbulence. In contrast I see all these videos with Draks and Z3s that don't appear to be affected by turbulence at all and just punch right through it. I can't bring myself to buy a Z3 since it's so delicate and would be pulverized in one crash. And the full size Drak is just too big and heavy to reliably hand launch in the mountains. But when the mini Drak comes out I'll probably get one of those and see if it's better for mountain flying than my Chimera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Patrick M.

Instructor Pilot
    I am also doing a run of the Z1 Epp with some new mods , it will be available in the sizes between 54 and 63. It will be set up like this.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Fly,crash,glue,repeat! Jake Bullit's Avatar
    Deleted,wrong subject matter.
    Last edited by Jake Bullit; 26th November 2016 at 05:48 PM.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Navigator
    I'd be careful using video to rate a wings stability unless you are standing there to judge the wind for yourself. I ran into that on my first plane...videos were dead steady,but reality was shakey on all but the most perfect days.

There does seem to be something with the fuselage style. This guy made one on the cheap

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast