FPVLAB

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FPVWRA Race Wing - Open source airplane

FPVWRA Race Wing - Open source airplane

Just received my kit yesterday. Will be posting build photos to this thread soon!

Last edited by gobigdale; 6th October 2016 at 11:53 PM.

HulkSmashFPV

FPVWRA Spec Wing build in progress

FPVWRA Spec Wing build in progress

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpecTop.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	74608
    Top HulkSmash color scheme

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpecBottom.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	74609

Bottom color scheme

Navigator
    Nice, did you get yours from SBA, also did it come with the laminate? See your from Gig Harbor, we are practically neighbors, from Auburn here- I fly mostly in the Sumner area.

Quote Originally Posted by gobigdale View Post
    Just received my kit yesterday. Will be posting build photos to this thread soon!

Navigator
    Building mine now, but the battery bay looks much further forward than in the videos, and at 1.25" back from the LE, the spar goes through the corner of the bay. I guess it might help keep the battery in, but it doesn't seem right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HulkSmashFPV
    The battery bay is further up, I am looking at how i want to do the spars as well, I noticed that when putting mine together, I figure it helps with balance up further. I was thinking of having it come up into more of the nose so like 3/4 inch up with the starting end of the spar, then having it angle back toward the outside of the wing like 2 inches back - so pretty sure as long as you keep the top spar and bottom spar lined up like that you should good support. I will post up what I am going to try later tonight if I get back from my dinner event in time to spar it up.

Just ordered the turnigy motor! Looking forward to flying a wing again, it's been a while! Does the kit have any kind of cover for the battery and electronics?
    KK4HDH

Navigator
    Doesn't come with any covers, and a 3S 2300 with Velcro on the bottom sticks up a little above the top surface of the wing, but I don't think the bottom of the battery bay is structural, and it's about 10mm thick, so I'm thinking I'll cut it out and replace it with coro-plast, which should drop the battery down low enough to put another coro-plast cover over the top. Not sure it's worth it for the VTx and Rx though. We'll see.

For the wing spars, I put them 1.5" from the center seam and 3/4" back from the LE. At the outer end they're 1.5" back from the LE. That's about as good as it gets I guess.

Navigator
    Use strapping tape on the bottom of the bay before you laminate, it will become very strong.. This is the way crash test hobbies does there and they stand up to a lot of abuse

Quote Originally Posted by knight907 View Post
    Doesn't come with any covers, and a 3S 2300 with Velcro on the bottom sticks up a little above the top surface of the wing, but I don't think the bottom of the battery bay is structural, and it's about 10mm thick, so I'm thinking I'll cut it out and replace it with coro-plast, which should drop the battery down low enough to put another coro-plast cover over the top. Not sure it's worth it for the VTx and Rx though. We'll see.

For the wing spars, I put them 1.5" from the center seam and 3/4" back from the LE. At the outer end they're 1.5" back from the LE. That's about as good as it gets I guess.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdraptor View Post
    The battery bay is further up, I am looking at how i want to do the spars as well, I noticed that when putting mine together, I figure it helps with balance up further. I was thinking of having it come up into more of the nose so like 3/4 inch up with the starting end of the spar, then having it angle back toward the outside of the wing like 2 inches back - so pretty sure as long as you keep the top spar and bottom spar lined up like that you should good support. I will post up what I am going to try later tonight if I get back from my dinner event in time to spar it up.
    The Spars should be lined up fairly close. Perfection is optional, though. They should go right through the front edge of the battery bay.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by photohap View Post
    Nice, did you get yours from SBA, also did it come with the laminate? See your from Gig Harbor, we are practically neighbors, from Auburn here- I fly mostly in the Sumner area.
    That is how the kit comes. Laminate is included as it is needed to secure the elevons.
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast