FPVLAB

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: FPVWRA Race Wing - Open source airplane

Navigator
    Mcrock
    WIll do once I am home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcrock View Post
    Looking good.. clayton. .
    Do you mind measuring from the very point of your nose to the front of the engine firewall please as I need this measurement as well as the one from top of trailing edge to the centre thrust line of the motor.

Would appreciate it heaps.

M

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Navigator
    What's the understanding on the motor mount? I have a light aluminum one I would like to use... is that legal?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by slowgto View Post
    What's the understanding on the motor mount? I have a light aluminum one I would like to use... is that legal?
    Yes Sir, early in the thread Alex answered to my inquiry, they are fine to use

Navigator
    Appreciate it Clayton. .. maybe if you zoom onto a ruler on top as well as the measurements .. that would even be more help.

Cheers M

Navigator
    Appreciate it Clayton. .. maybe if you zoom onto a ruler on top as well as the measurements .. that would even be more help.

Cheers M

Hey M
    Sorry I did not see the post on the pics portion but I have some pretty close measurements.
    Now for the 1st question pertaining to Nose Point to Firewall.
    From the tip of nose to the edge of the foam block I came back with 23cm (+or- 2mm), counting the wood block add 5mm
    2nd part I was kind of confused about since this fixed wing this is really new to me...so...
    Top of Trailing Edge to C/L of thrust (I selected c/l of motor) is (if I am understanding correctly) about 5mm
    That is going off of the fact that I centered the wood block as close to the center of the foam engine mount
    prior to mounting on the craft. That also being measured from the closest point to the engine mount not tip of wing
    If the 2nd part is not what your looking for please correct me and I will provide you will said measurements.
    Last edited by claytonbakerjr; 14th December 2016 at 10:31 AM.

Navigator
    Thanks for the info.. with the height one 5mm sounds low for all the photos I have seen.
    Just need to double check that.. so the motor centre is only 5 mm above the wing? Or the centre of the ply firewall.

Cheers M

Last edited by Mcrock; 14th December 2016 at 06:01 PM.

Navigator
    Thanks for the info.. with the height one 5mm sounds low for all the photos I have seen.
    Just need to double check that.. so the motor centre is only 5 mm above the wing? Or the centre of the ply firewall.

Cheers M

Hey Mcrock
    Sorry for delay. Yes pretty much. Once I centered the wood block and then mounted the foam
    piece thats about what I am seeing but to make sure I am understanding here is a pic
    of where I measured from.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeasureTrailing Edge.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	75407..

I will double check tonight.
    I was honestly being rushed by wife when I measured that part
    so I may have been off a little
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481563745173.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	75406  

Navigator
    Thank you Clayton that's going to be huge help.

So I can give back to the community

I have posted some pictures of my build here and others may benefit from a range of ideas.

The below pictures show how I go about putting my spars in the Airelon.

Basically I have cut a slot 2.5 to 3mm back from the V in the Airelon to accommodate my 2.5 mm spar to allow enough room to slightly round the sharp edge later to improve the flow of air at this point.

I used a steel ruler with some small v blocks to give myself an angle on the ruler so it can apply pressure on the join where the spar was inserted ... this closes the glue gap at this point.

A short video of my progress.
    https://youtu.be/RfPooQM1Nws

I know this is a different method that Alex uses mainly due to the use of the live Airelon system.

I found today the string that cth uses which is basically builders line which is very easy to do if you cut all around the wing ... insert the line and tie it of.
    Later come back and run foam tac glue in the cut taking your time and come back to it squeezing the join together untill you have a bond that stays in place. Less messy as well.

M

Anybody have some decent testing done as far as best prop to use with the 2826-6 2200kv Turnigy thats specified? I know there's a balance between speed an efficiency. I see Clayton is running a tri blade above. Any particular reason vs say a 6x4 apc for example? Thanks for any info on this you guys can offer. Building mine now. I'll post some bench tests when I get there as well with a few props.
    Ross
    Orlando FL USA

Fly Be Free - For a Few Kazillion Bucks that is...

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucc10 View Post
    Anybody have some decent testing done as far as best prop to use with the 2826-6 2200kv Turnigy thats specified? I know there's a balance between speed an efficiency. I see Clayton is running a tri blade above. Any particular reason vs say a 6x4 apc for example? Thanks for any info on this you guys can offer. Building mine now. I'll post some bench tests when I get there as well with a few props.
    I have been using the APC 6X5.5E prop. While it is technically too much for the motor, my batteries are a bit old and weak so the motor comes down warm, but not burning.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast