Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: Hawkeye Firefly Q6 4K camera

Quote Originally Posted by Pookyjuice View Post
    A user on one of my FB groups is claiming that the 60fps footage this camera shoots is actually doubled-framed 30fps. Can anyone who had already received this camera confirm whether this is true or not? Just trying to figure out if I just threw money into a GoodBang hole.
    I have one, but how would i check?
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Navigator
    Well, If you have the 60fps raw footage, and a program that can jog through the footage frame-by-frame (adobe premiere or the free app, avidemux) you should be able to tell if the image changes every frame, or every other frame. Doubling the frame rate is a sneaky firmware trick that has been done on other budget action cams in the past.

Navigator
    Hmm... looks to be a Low Light thing - forgive the cut'n paste from SoCalFPV

Bogdan Ryabyshchuk After talking to some people who have this camera I updated the firmware to 2.3 and set the rate to high (why it's set to low by default is beyond me). After that I shot some video outside, and it did record in true 60FPS. The quality is meh, not GoPro or iPhone quality, but not too bad either. However, as soon as you go into darker areas, like for instance transitioning from outdoors to indoor, it starts to double up the frames. Same footage shot with a GoPro look just fine. I know, it's much cheeper, so I shouldn't be too harsh. I was told that it has to do with the fact that it has pretty crappy light sensitivity and a tiny aperture. At 60 FPS you have to keep exposure at at least 1/60th, and it can't maintain that at lower light levels so it starts dropping frames and doubling them up while increasing exposure.

So, as long as you are getting it to fly during daytime in the open area, it should do OK. But if you fly under tree canopies, indoor, or during early morning or dusk it will probably start to double up the frames.

During daytime it also creates a lot of these huge J.J. Abrams style lens flares all over the place. That has to do with the bobble lens it has. I think that could be fixed with a 3D printed lens shade or perhaps I may cut something out of CF to cover the lens up. If you look at the lens, the actual opening is tiny. So, most of the glass is basically for show.

In any case, I'll shoot some test footage later on an probably will post some online. Again, during day time I think it's going to deliver ok results. But at lower light conditions, it's going to have issues.

Navigator
    So the caveats are - short battery life, so make sure to use flight power for long flights, doesn't do true 4k but an up-sampled 2k+, and it drops 1080p 60fps to 30fps if the light gets too low due to a dinky aperature size.
    Still, at $65 and change on banggood, I think I'll still get some use out of it.

"doesn't do true 4k but an up-sampled 2k+" may or may not be true, I'd say the jury-is-out until we get more/better testing. What it does though I like!
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

It's upsampled from something in between 2K and 4K. The cheapest camera that does a true 30 frames per second 4K is The Yi 2, @$250.

The Facebook dude doesn't have any idea about optics, and you should discount his opinion. He even blames the manufacturer for him not setting the data rate!!!

Go look at the videos on YouTube, this is far better than the basic GoPro image quality, and if you're comparing it to a hero 4 black, you're being silly.

Navigator
    Can you suggest an SD card and link to use with this camera please as I tried a 64g micro SD xc 1 class 10 and it does not work.

M

Really.... being class 10 should be fast enough. I am at a conference for a week so i cannot tell you what my 64 GB card is.

My 256 GB card that works, even though it is outside of their specs, came from Samsung with the new Note7 my wife bought. Its specs should be easy to find.

I have some cheapo 4GB cards that the camera reports as "slow", but worked for flashing the f/w.

Speaking if which.... did you upgrade to the new 2.3 and test that 64GB class 10 card?
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Navigator
    Yep had to use a lesser card to do it like 8 gigs which the camera reports the card being to slow.

Cards are expensive so did not want to go down the track of purchasing cards that don't work.

The larger cards are xc class 10 type ...

M

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Samsung we have lists as " UHS-1, Class 10 ". I used it only as we had it, and it was a fun test to see if the camera could handle it.

Now i do NOT recommend dropping like $250 on this Samsung 256 GB card, as it is outside of their spec for the camera, and awefully expensive to risk loosing in a crash.

The 64 GB that worked came from Amazon... see if i can find it.

The card you have- you did format it in the menus of the camera?

Try the newer 2.3 f/w?

Does the card work on other devices?
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast